Australian GP: Post-race press conference | F1 news | Motorsport.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Gotta scratch my head over Honda. They give a championship winning car away to Ross Brawn for $1.00 and take zillion dollar losses and then decide less than ten years later to try F1 again. This time around they will really have to work for it. HP advantages don't come cheap or easy - see Renault and Ferrari. If I was Fred Alonso I would be kicking myself in the ass for jumping ship.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
These "hybrid" engines are a puzzle box. Still they had simulations on the dyno and in the chassis that should have revealed issues. Only a real track day testing showed them how serious the shortcomings of the engine are.

Honda's Turbo engines in the Indy Car series have been very reliable, but they are missing half of the technology.

There is a lot speculation that Honda is using the engines to get their company back into a position to field a full within a a couple of year.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
Gotta scratch my head over Honda. They give a championship winning car away to Ross Brawn for $1.00 and take zillion dollar losses and then decide less than ten years later to try F1 again. This time around they will really have to work for it. HP advantages don't come cheap or easy - see Renault and Ferrari. If I was Fred Alonso I would be kicking myself in the ass for jumping ship.
If not for his strange habit of jumping ships at the worst times, Alonso could have had more than his two World championships.
If we consider his role in trying to blackmail Ron Dennis for number one driver status during McLaren's Ferrarigate, its very strange to see him return to McLaren.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy?
tuttebenne likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
These "hybrid" engines are a puzzle box. Still they had simulations on the dyno and in the chassis that should have revealed issues. Only a real track day testing showed them how serious the shortcomings of the engine are.

Honda's Turbo engines in the Indy Car series have been very reliable, but they are missing half of the technology.

There is a lot speculation that Honda is using the engines to get their company back into a position to field a full within a a couple of year.
It's been discussed that curtailing track testing has not reduced cost, the original premise for the 'rule.'
Simulations and more electronics have increased costs, but still can't make up for the real thing.

It's kind of ridiculous that the highest performance category in Motor racing cannot test more, and has to reduce / monitor fuel flow to the present extent.
I miss those pedal to the metal chases of old.
One of the first races my dad took me to as a kid was on the old Nuerburgring, with Mario Andretti chasing the leaders through 172 corners per lap.
From one hillside you could see Bruennchen, and then again get a top view of the cars go through the steep banking of carousel. All the way pushed down on what little suspension they had and sparks flying, very cool.

Smaller teams without state of the art simulators, wind tunnel's / rolling road etc. are handicapped from the get go.
In the post race interviews, Sauber's Felipe Nasr mentioned that the team has no driver simulator.

My other pet peeve is the weight of cars with driver. The drivers should be allowed to have a few more pound and not being handicapped for being taller and perhaps heavier. Its been done before with a little ballast.
We know they are athletes, but the tall ones look a bit haggard to me.
Just my 10 Pfennig.
Noodles likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 AM

Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I totally agree. I was raised in England from 3 until I was 18. Then we moved to the US.

Was totally bitten by the F1 bug in the UK. Paid for cable tv because my parents did not want it just to see F1 in the states. Where I lived in the UK was within 2 train stops of the McLaren team. In 1976 I could actually walk into the facility and get a hearty welcome. My oh my how times have changed. That place is more secure than the White House now.

This racing with fuel limits, no testing, over complex "power units", one tire supplier and no mid season major updates allowed really is not in the spirit of the sport as you and I knew back in those wild days.
I would go to any race I could in the UK and on the continent and it did not cost a week's salary. Back then they would alternate years for the England GP between Brands Hatch and Silverstone. Both brilliant tracks to watch and drive on.

I really am hoping that the fans and teams take the sport back to the more wild days of 120db screaming 16,000 RPM engines and as much fuel as they could burn.
I did not even like the rules about KERS, but at least it was optional for the team. I also firmly believe that the racing would be better and safer if the teams were allowed to test more on real tracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in