Fernando Alonso: McLaren driver to miss Australian Grand Prix - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Teutone's Avatar
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 33,426
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Fernando Alonso: McLaren driver to miss Australian Grand Prix

BBC Sport - Fernando Alonso: McLaren driver to miss Australian Grand Prix

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer 3 March 2015
Last updated at 14:51 GMT

McLaren's Fernando Alonso will miss the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on 15 March on medical advice.
Doctors have advised the 33-year-old Spaniard, who crashed in testing on 22 February, not to risk a second concussion by racing in Melbourne.
Alonso tweeted: "It will be tough not to be in Australia, but I understand the recommendations."
The two-time champion's place will be taken by 22-year-old Dane Kevin Magnussen, McLaren's reserve driver.

Magnussen tweeted: "Shame about the circumstance but still I'm so excited to be racing in Melbourne."
Alonso was driving at a speed of 215km/h (133.6mph) when he lost control of his car at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
He hit a wall, suffered two blows to his head and was immediately flown to hospital, where he was kept for three nights.
McLaren said a series of medical tests and scans found that the former Ferrari driver had "no medical issue" and was "entirely healthy from neurological and cardiac perspectives alike".
But a team statement said doctors had recommended he should limit his activity "so as to minimise the chances of second impact syndrome".

Second impact syndrome occurs when a patient suffers another concussion before the recovering from the first.
It can result in raised intra-cranial pressure, prolonged coma and can be fatal.
Doctors say recovery from concussion cannot be predicted and that it varies from patient to patient.
In a YouTube post Friday, Alonso said he was "completely fine" and looking forward to getting back in the car "very soon".
McLaren said his doctors were "supportive" of his desire to return in time for the second race of the season in Malaysia on 29 March.
They added he had already restarted his physical training, with the backing of his doctors.
McLaren have suffered poor reliability in testing and say they expect to struggle for competitiveness in the first four races of the season.
Teutone is offline  
Sponsored Links

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On


    Title goes here

    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome