Hamilton: Rosberg admits he could have avoided 2nd lap collision - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2003 ML500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is still a lot of talk around all the F1 forum boards about the MB boys hitting each other and to me it looks really simple. I could be just making it over simple but Nico said that he was trying to prove a point. What amazes me is that few people know what the point is. I may have this wrong but I will take a stab at it.

There have been several times (5 or 6) that I think Lewis has put Nico off track on purpose at corner exit.

When Nico has a run on Lewis from behind Lewis takes away the pass by moving to the inside so Nico cant out brake him. Thats all well and good, it is defensive driving 101. Now Nico has to do an over and under or go to the outside to pass. The outside is the long way around and is littered with trash from rolled up rubber and dust...not the best way around.

When I was a course martial and working corners I would often have to give reports to the stewarts of the meet about cars coming together. The rule for conceding the race line was that the overtaking car had to have his front tire up to or perallel with the driver being overtaken. That would be front tire to drivers door (if there is one) or side pod. If the overtaking car could do that, weather on the inside line or outside line the car being overtaken must give them room to race. Positioning of cars is not much of a a gray area. The ambiguity is...what is racing room. Running someone over the exit curb so they have to go 2 off is racing room??????? BS.

All you have to do to see excellent driving and excellent sportsman ship in pull up the video of Alonso and Riccardo racing. That was close racing AND they gave each other room on corner entry and exit.

Lewis puts Nico off at corner exit when Nico has earned the right to have racing room. I believe the point that Nico made was that he isnt going off track to avoid Lewis when he has earned the room to race and he did not stand down on purpose. I think that in Spa Nico chose the wrong moment to make his point because he was not along side Lewis. He should have conceded the corner here. If this were Bahrain where Lewis ran Nico off when they were side by side Lewis would have been in the dog house. Unfortunately in this cercumstance he should have been up further.

I use to race motorcycles and as a racer I can tell you that if your oponent takes away the racing line at corner entry and blocks you at corner exit when you have a legitamate opportunity to pass and should be given room to race there is only so long you will take it before you give them a nudge and I say that its about time Nico.

The point I do not agree with Windsow on is that he calls Lewis is a racer and he is going to chop your nose off. Have have a look at Alonso and Riccardo...they are racers.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: