Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2003 ML500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sean Edwards vs. Alonzo

When I cant sleep I watch this vid instead of counting sheep. watched it last night and thought you folks may enjoy. this is the late Sean Edwards ATTACKING the Nordscheife and anything in his path. By the looks of this vid he was not imtimidated by this track. I know its a very long vid and I usually get in only one lap but its very good. Seans dad was an F1 driver I think. Sean was one of my favorite drivers.

This is like 1980's racing. I use to corner work and we would do stuff like this. Not like now when there is a SC for a spin off and the car is 40 feet from the racing line.

See minute
14:11 where the white flag comes out for a tow truck on track and he keeps on going. The corner station is 1/2 way up the bank on the right.

17:19 where a local yellow comes out for a crashed car and the two cars slow for a fraction but attack as soon as they are clear the crash. This is the good stuff.

11:00 Sean eats a Corvette for lunch. Lots of good fighting through out vid.

Very aggressive stuff. Love it. Turn up the V and listen to that dog box clunking around.
And to keep it MB like Sean drove an SLS a few times as well.

Last edited by thesilverarrow; 07-23-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Wow, very cool. Probably my new favorite. Thanks for posting.

Most of you have probably seen it the old Hans Stuck BMW M3 GTR Northern loop video with turn by turn comments I use for the same purpose.
His father ran the racing school there, he grew around the track and probably knows every bump.
Cheers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Nice. I have watched the vid with Derek Bell commenting turn by turn in his 956 but Hans is one up on him. I remember Hans racing in the USA when Audi came over with the AWD turbo coupe. He was awesone at Lime Rock where there was a little up hill on the back straight. The front tires would lift off the ground 2 or 3 inches as he would crest the hill.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I watched Derek Bell race several times on tracks in Zandvoort Holland, Zolder Belgium, and once in Estoril Portugal, excellent driver.

Stuck jr did even ok in F1, but was way too tall. Hell of a driver. Seeing him race the BMW batmobil on the old Nuerburgring was the main reason for me to get E 9 Schnitzer CSL, one yellow I totaled in Germany, a green I shipped via the Volga/Don channel to the Caspian sea, and its still sitting at the house in Tehran.
Stuck jr is head of Volkswagen motorsport.
Hans Stuck senior was a famous Grand Prix racing driver in his time Hans Stuck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cheers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

I use to watch Bell and Holbert kick but in the 962 here.

One of my good friends is a course martial and was working turn 6 at the 24 hrs of Daytona one night when Bell pulled in with no power. Circa mid 1980's. My friend got over to the car and Bell had the door open. My friend yelled into the car, "Hey can I help you?" Bell said, "Ya, you can stay the f**k out of the way!" In his proper English accent I bet. Ahhhh, the heat of battle. Gutta love it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

too much time on my hands...

Sean Edwards Porsche 997 GT3 Video

I dont know if you folks watch the corner stations but these people relay very valuable information to the drivers. In this video you can see (you need to be looking for it) the corse workers doing there job. It is called F&C in the USA...flagging and communications. We communicate the track conditions and the condition of there cars to them with different flags.

If you have a minute check it out on Sean Edwards video.

3:19 a debris flag comes out from the corner station drivers right. The flag has yellow and orange stripes. This is to warn the driver of a solid or liquid on track. Usually this flag comes out at the station where the debris is but in this instance there are a few stationb before that display the flag.

3:35 A debris flag from the next station on drivers right.

3:37 and 3:40 a standing yellow flag comes out on drivers left. Standing yellow flags are for a car pulled over OFF the racing line. A waving yellow flag is for a car or cars spun, crashed or stopped ON the racing line. The car that tis yellow flag is desplayed for must pull behind the barriers because by the time Sean gets there it is not seen. You also can tell Sean is not flat out racing speed through this section because of the yellows.

3:43 we see a big line of speedy dry that runs until 3:50 drivers right. There was a fluid leak from the previous race and the workers put down some drying agent between races. The flage are to warn the drivers of the race surface not being 100%

3:51 no flag from the workers station on drivers right means green flag. Green flag is only displayed at the start/finish line and it is understood that if there is no flag at a corner station it is green flag racing.

Last edited by thesilverarrow; 08-11-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in