Mercedes joins the V8 Supercar grid - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes joins the V8 Supercar grid

It looks like next years V8 Supercar is in for a little variety other than the standard Holden [GM] Vs Ford battle.

Mercedes appears to have joined the fray with a few E class beasts mixing it up on the grid with Nissan making it a four manufacturer series. This sedan based V8 racing series is where Marcus Ambrose won the title before he went over to the US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MB V8 supercars.jpg
Views:	2976
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	467967  

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

Last edited by A&L's300SL; 09-13-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1991 R129 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Thumbs up

I hope they become successful in that series!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Those racing edition W212's look fantastic!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Very Cool
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
If they do race in Austin, Texas next year hopefully you guys should see all the cars/manufacturers along with a sprinkling of local talent!

Enthusiasm for Texas V8 Supercars mounting in NASCAR paddock

Tuesday 28th August, 2012
Author: Stefan Bartholomaeus ©

The possibility of joining in the fun when the V8 Supercars Championship makes its maiden visit to the United States next year has raised enthusiasm for the class within the NASCAR community. spoke to a variety of NASCAR drivers, team owners, sponsors and media at the weekend’s IRWIN Tools Night Race in Bristol to gauge interest in the Australian championship’s upcoming sojourn to the currently-under-construction road course in Austin, Texas.

The need to include locally-based drivers in the event in order to gain traction on the US sporting landscape was the most common theme amongst respondents.

Although the timing and format has yet to be confirmed, a rumoured late May date could see the category perfectly placed to lure NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers competing in Charlotte’s All-Star race which traditionally runs on the second last Saturday night of the month.

No NASCAR drivers are understood to have been contacted about competing at this stage due to the date uncertainty, but linking with the All-Star event is a concept that former V8 Supercar and current Sprint Cup driver Marcos Ambrose says could work well.

“To make it a success I think they need some US stars to compete,” Ambrose told

“Our schedule is 40 weeks long so it’s pretty hard to find an opening, but I think it (running on the All-Star weekend) would work. The race doesn’t finish until around midnight, but we’re on planes all the time anyway so it can definitely still be done.

“I think the category just needs to set a date and its prize money and then start contacting some drivers and see if it will work out. I know there’s a bunch of drivers that’d like to do it if it would pay and be worth their while.”

NASCAR’s director of competition communications, Kerry Tharp, confirmed that the category would have no problem with seeing its drivers compete in the V8 Supercar event, citing the busy tarmac and dirt schedules currently enjoyed by the likes of Tony Stewart and Kasey Kahne.

“Our drivers when they’re not racing in NASCAR they’re often racing other events,” Tharp told when asked of any potential concerns.

“I think it remains to be seen if they would actually do that (Texas), it may be effected by their team contracts with sponsors and so on, but I wouldn’t rule it out. At the end of the day our guys just like racing.”

Speed TV analyst and former Sprint Cup series winning crew chief Jeff Hammond believes that Ambrose’s own performances in NASCAR have ensured that many drivers across the sport’s three tiers would be eager to race if the dates work out.

“V8 Supercars is the sort of series that a lot of our regulars, be it Truck Series, Nationwide or Sprint Cup, would love to have the opportunity to be driving in,” he told

“We know we’re going to be at Charlotte Motor Speedway for almost two weeks in late May, and what better way could you bridge the gap between the All-Star race and the Coca-Cola 600 weekend then to have a V8 Supercars series race?

“Our guys have stepped up on the road courses in recent years,” he added. “It’d be a really unique opportunity to see how good the V8 Supercar guys really are, and how quickly our guys could adapt to the different equipment.”

Ambrose meanwhile was one of several to warn against any format that would pit the Sprint Cup stars directly against the Australian drivers.
“I don’t think you could throw the Cup drivers in with the regulars,” he said.

“Jamie Whincup is one of the best road racers in the world but if you put him in a Sprint Cup car then he’s not going to do much good. It’s the same with those (NASCAR) guys. They’re going to need seat time to experience those cars. They’re on the wrong side of the vehicles to start off with, most of those guys would be freaked out by that!

“They’re all pro drivers and they’d get used to it, but it’s a matter of how much time they’d have to get on with it.”

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: