CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Abu Dhabi Quali & GP

Sebastian Vettel snatches 14th pole of the season in Abu Dhabi | Abu Dhabi Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Qualifying

Vettel snatches 14th pole of the season

Sebastian Vettel took his 14th pole position of the season as he edged out the McLarens with the final lap of qualifying for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Vettel's time of 1:36.481 came right at the end of the session to beat Lewis Hamilton by just 0.141s, with Jenson Button only 0.009s slower than his team-mate. Mark Webber will start alongside Button on row two, ahead of both Ferraris of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa, while it was also two-by-two behind them with Nico Rosberg ahead of Michael Schumacher and Adrian Sutil in ninth and Paul di Resta tenth.

The first runs of the shootout saw Hamilton set the provisional pole position time, beating his team-mate by 0.3s. The Red Bull pair followed him over the line with Webber getting within 0.15s before Vettel split the two of them for second. Button still had time to find after almost losing the rear end in the final corner, and so it looked like a McLaren pole could be in the offing before Vettel's late show, which saw him equal Nigel Mansell's record of 14 in a season.

In Q2 Force India excelled to get through ahead of Schumacher, who had been told to find half a second and duly did to get through in 10th place. Only Sergio Perez looked really likely to challenge him but was unable to improve on his final lap and missed out on a place in the final part of qualifying by 0.2s.

The session was red flagged during Q2 as Massa ran over a bollard at turn 13, leaving the base of it on the racing line. Button then flicked it across the track but it remained sat on the circuit and had to be removed. Pastor Maldonado went for one run at the end of the session despite already having a 10-place grid penalty for using his ninth engine of the season, but 17th quickest means he will start last on the grid.

After an oil leak scuppered his running in FP3, Rubens Barrichello was the man to drop out in the first part of qualifying as he could didn't go out to set a time. The lack of running would not have helped his set-up and even though he had time to go out for one run at the end of the session he stayed in the garage and missed out alongside the usual suspects of Heikki Kovalainen, Jarno Trulli, Timo Glock, Daniel Ricciardo, Jerome d'Ambrosio and Tonio Liuzzi. It was a notable performance from Ricciardo, 0.1s behind Glock and over half a second quicker than his team-mate.

Driver Teams Time
1 S Vettel (GER) Red Bull 1'38.481
2 LC Hamilton (GBR) McLaren 1'38.622
3 J Button (GBR) McLaren 1'38.631
4 M Webber (AUS) Red Bull 1'38.858
5 F Alonso (ESP) Ferrari 1'39.058
6 F Massa (BRA) Ferrari 1'39.695
7 N Rosberg (GER) Mercedes-Benz 1'39.773
8 M Schumacher (GER) Mercedes-Benz 1'40.662
9 A Sutil (GER) Force India 1'40.768
10 P di Resta (GBR) Force India 1'40.414
11 S Perez (MEX) Sauber 1'40.874
12 V Petrov (RUS) Renault 1'40.919
13 S Buemi (SUI) Toro Rosso 1'41.009
14 B Senna (BRA) Renault 1'41.079
15 J Alguersuari (ESP) Toro Rosso 1'41.162
16 K Kobayashi (JPN) Sauber 1'41.240
17 H Kovalainen (FIN) Lotus 1'42.979
18 J Trulli (ITA) Lotus 1'43.884
19 T Glock (GER) Virgin 1'44.515
20 D Ricciardo (AUS) HRT 1'44.641
21 J d'Ambrosio (BEL) Virgin 1'44.699
22 V Liuzzi (ITA) HRT 1'45.159
23 RG Barrichello (BRA) Williams -
24 P Maldonado (VEN) Williams 1'41.760
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hamilton issues Vettel with turn one ultimatum
ESPNF1 Staff
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton has told Sebastian Vettel he will not back off if the pair find themselves side-by-side going into the first corner of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Sunday.

For the second year in a row, Hamilton and Vettel will line up on the front row of the grid, with the Red Bull starting from pole. Last year, with the world title at stake, Hamilton got alongside Vettel but then backed off as they came to the apex of the first corner. He said he would not be so generous this year.

"Last year I started second but braked early into turn one and let Sebastian have the corner," Hamilton said. "I've just told him that's not going to happen tomorrow, though…"

However, if he fails to get past in the first corner, Hamilton has a plan for the rest of the race.

"I hope I have a good start - I really want to get into turn one first," he added. "But, if I can't, I'll follow Sebastian as closely as I can, I'll try my hardest not to let him get more than a second ahead, and I'll try to get ahead through the DRS zones.

Hamilton has looked quick all weekend and, despite missing out on pole, he is confident he will have a decent race pace on Sunday.

"It would be nice to have had pole position, but that Red Bull, as always, is very quick in Q3," he said. "Still, we've got our car to a point where it works particularly well on certain tracks, and we always seem to go well here.

"To be as competitive as we've been this weekend is very encouraging - we're on the front row so we can have a good race from there. And, for the first time in quite a while, my long-run pace was pretty good too, and I think we had more fuel on board than some of the other teams. I feel really good about tomorrow, in fact."
© ESPN EMEA Ltd.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well he didn't have to go to plan B!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife and i were at the Abu Dhabi race, here's a few pics of the pitlane walk and Hamilton coming across the finish line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dubai 042.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	411001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dubai 050.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	411002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dubai 053.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	411003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dubai 084.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	411004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dubai 099.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	411005  

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
My nephew Sam (zian racing, Dubai) worked on the race.
Cool pics. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in