post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
'Impetuous' Vettel told: One more error, title is gone!

'Impetuous' Vettel told: One more error, title is gone! | Page 1 | F1 News | Aug 2010 | Crash.Net

Crash.Net Formula One News
31 August 2010

In the wake of his controversial collision with title rival Jenson Button in last weekend's Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps, Sebastian Vettel has been defended by Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner as 'very talented' – but at the same time advised to 'stay calm and focussed', as Niki Lauda warned him that with just one more mistake, his chance of clinching the crown this season will be gone.

As he lined up for an overtaking move on the defending F1 World Champion approaching the Bus-Stop Chicane on lap 16 of 44 in the Ardennes, Vettel lost the rear of his RB6 on the slippery track surface and speared into the side of Button's McLaren-Mercedes, sending the Briton into immediate retirement and destroying his own hopes of scoring points into the bargain.

Subsequently labelled a 'crash kid' by McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh and told by his victim that he has 'made too many mistakes this year to fight for the world championship' [see separate story – click here], the German's woeful Sunday afternoon was compounded by a drive-through penalty for his misdemeanour – his second in as many races – and a later coming-together with Force India's Vitantonio Liuzzi that resulted in a puncture and left him a lowly 15th at the chequered flag.

Reawakening memories of his calamitous misjudgment in clattering into the side of Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber in the Turkish Grand Prix in Istanbul three months ago – and then having the temerity to blame the Australian for the clash – the error unleashed a wave of criticism of the 23-year-old's driving, with former long-time McLaren chief Ron Dennis the latest to offer his view.

“I think that it's easy to say it's a racing incident,” the Englishman is quoted as having said by GP Update. “That's the simple answer. It seems Sebastian is just too impetuous – look at the incident with his own team-mate, look at incidents that put him out of the race. It's good to push, it's good to be competitive, but there are so many historical lines in motorsport and the one that fits him more than anything is, 'to finish first, first you have to finish'.

“You have to understand that, if he doesn't win this year's world championship and he's considering the reasons why, I think he should first consider his own actions. It's one thing to put yourself out of the race, but it's another to take out either your team-mate or a member of another team – it was a completely avoidable accident, and he was lucky to get away with a drive-through.”

Vettel's raw speed in F1 2010 has been beyond any doubt – witness seven pole positions from the 13 grands prix to-date – but that he has succeeded in converting only one of those qualifying advantages into race day victory is evidence, contends triple world champion Lauda, that the Heppenheim native is trying too hard and should adopt a more cautious approach as the campaign speeds towards its conclusion.

“You're an absolute super-talent but you've taken excessive risks,” Lauda told German newspaper Bild, when asked what he would say to Vettel. “One more mistake and your world championship will be over. Then you will have to drive for your team-mate, which would be the ultimate penalty. The pressure can be paralysing, because everyone expects you to be in front and everything else is a disappointment.”

“I see a young man who is suffering from his first spell of growing pains,” countered 13-time grand prix-winner and RBR consultant David Coulthard, in his column for The Daily Telegraph. “I am not excusing [the mistakes] –as I have said before, F1 is no finishing school – I'm just saying they are understandable.”

In the face of accusations that having now slipped some 31 points adrift of the lead in the chase for the crown, his young charge is throwing away a superb opportunity to claim title glory, Horner has sought to underline Vettel's attributes – and to assert that with 150 points remaining to play for, he is far from out-of-the-hunt yet.

“I think Sebastian, without a shadow of a doubt, is a very talented driver,” the 36-year-old – a former racer himself – is quoted as having said by Planet-F1. “This was one of those races where it just did not go his way. It is difficult for him; you have to make split-second decisions, and I think he made one mistake when he was racing with Jenson. In trying to avoid him he got himself into a spin that ultimately collected Jenson in very, very difficult conditions.

“It's easy to be very critical of somebody who is relatively inexperienced, but he will learn a lot from what happened. Nobody knows that better than Sebastian, who is a pretty mature individual. He analyses his own performance very, very carefully and I am sure he will bounce back from this. It didn't work out for him, but he needs to stay calm and focused and eventually it will go his way. He is a great racing driver who is still a very young guy – it would be foolish to write him off at the moment.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Kids.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1987 560SL / 2003 ML320 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
May he mature quickly - for his own sake and for the sake of the team budget!

Kevin
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think he'll settle down if he doesn't let the bad press get to him.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
I think he'll settle down if he doesn't let the bad press get to him.
Apparently the press isn't bad enough. In that article they made an excuse for him by saying he lost the back end of the car on a slippery track. Button was driving on the same slippery track and he would have made it through the corner.

Its over for Vettel. He does not have what it takes to be a top driver. His skill is intermittent but his bad judgement shows up for every race.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
He sure has much to learn, but 7 poles in 13 races speaks for itself.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
He sure has much to learn, but 7 poles in 13 races speaks for itself.
Your right, but then so does 1 win from 7 pole positions!

Andrew

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
Apparently the press isn't bad enough. In that article...
Good point, but I wasn't referring to that article. The German press is blasting him.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
Good point, but I wasn't referring to that article. The German press is blasting him.
+ 1 He is being mercilessly trashed 24/7.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
The press is always going to be your worst enemy! I'm sure he'll come around, he just needs more time to mature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in