Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hungaroring qualifying

Vettel beats Webber in RBR quali rout - F1 | ITV Sport

Vettel beats Webber in RBR quali rout

Saturday, 31 July 2010 00:00

Sebastian Vettel outduelled Mark Webber for his seventh pole position of the season as Red Bull turned in its most dominant qualifying performance yet at the Hungaroring on Saturday.

The practice form suggested it would be a private contest for pole between the Red Bull team-mates – and that was emphatically what it was, as the rest of the field was left trailing breathlessly more than a second adrift.

Vettel uncorked two beautifully precise and super-committed laps while Webber was a little more ragged, giving the German the edge by four-tenths of a second.

The Red Bull team-mates were closely matched in the two knockout sessions, but when it came to the crunch in Q3 Vettel seized the initiative with a brilliant first run, setting a jaw-dropping new qualifying lap record for the revised Hungaroring of 1m18.773s in response to Webber’s opening gambit of 1m19.184s.

It was clear Webber would have dig deep on his second run to get close to that, but a poor middle sector meant he didn’t improve, while just for good measure Vettel produced a second lap within 0.1s of his pole-winning effort. Point made.

As expected, Ferrari was best of the rest, but in no sense did it pose a challenge to the RBR hegemony, with third-placed Fernando Alonso 1.2s shy of Vettel’s pace and team-mate Felipe Massa a further 0.3s adrift.

McLaren did not have high hopes going into qualifying, but Lewis Hamilton extracted the most from the MP4-25 – which has been handling well, but simply doesn’t have the downforce of the Red Bull RB6 in particular – to claim fifth on the grid.

His performance impressed team-mate Jenson Button, who missed the cut for Q3 and will start 11th.

It also prompted team principal Martin Whitmarsh to make the waspish observation that the McLaren was “fastest of the fixed-wing vehicles”, alluding to the controversy over the degree to which the Red Bull and Ferrari wings flex at high speeds and generate extra downforce.

Nico Rosberg was another to drag an underperforming car further up the grid than it appeared capable of, bagging sixth for Mercedes while his team-mate Michael Schumacher never looked like escaping Q2 and wound up 14th.

Russian rookie Vitaly Petrov scored a timely coup by outqualifying team-mate Robert Kubica for the first time to head up an all-Renault fourth row, bolstering his chances of retaining his seat for 2011.

Pedro de la Rosa (Sauber) and Nico Hulkenberg (Williams) impressively survived the typically hard-fought Q2 and will share row five.

Force India’s struggles continued, with Adrian Sutil 13th and Tonio Liuzzi 16th, while Virgin’s Timo Glock pipped Lotus’s Heikki Kovalainen for the bragging rights as the fastest of the new team drivers.

Hungarian GP starting grid

1 VETTEL Red Bull

2 WEBBER Red Bull

3 ALONSO Ferrari

4 MASSA Ferrari

5 HAMILTON McLaren

6 ROSBERG Mercedes

7 PETROV Renault

8 KUBICA Renault

9 DE LA ROSA Sauber

10 HULKENBERG Williams

11 BUTTON McLaren

12 BARRICHELLO Williams

13 SUTIL Force India

14 SCHUMACHER Mercedes

15 BUEMI Toro Rosso

16 LIUZZI Force India

17 ALGUERSUARI Toro Rosso
18 KOBAYASHI Sauber
19 GLOCK Virgin

20 KOVALAINEN Lotus

21 TRULLI Lotus

22 DI GRASSI Virgin

23 SENNA HRT

24 YAMAMOTO HRT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was pleasantly surprised to see Nico qualify 6th. On the other hand RBR are just miles away from anyone! I'm curious to see how the flexing wing debacle is going to end. I bet after the summer break most of the top teams will have some sort of flexible front wing.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoGuy View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to see Nico qualify 6th. On the other hand RBR are just miles away from anyone! I'm curious to see how the flexing wing debacle is going to end. I bet after the summer break most of the top teams will have some sort of flexible front wing.
Its just like Newey and Horner have said countless times: it isn't just one aspect of the car, its the whole package. The flex wing does enhance downforce, no question, but without the other aero parts to stabilize the rest of the car they wouldn't have been able to ride kerbs as they were in Hockenheim in the rain. You saw what happen with Luizzi in Q1 while Webber and Vettel were just abusing the entire track with no hesitance. The Ferrari, being the next closest car, seemed timid in comparison; however, as we all know the pilot can make up the difference, and Alonso proved that.

The RB6 is just so damn ahead of the game, that had a better or more consistent/proven pilot been in it the championship would be over by Suzuka, if not Monza. I'm glad RBR currently employs those two, as two years of precessional GP racing would be too much, even as much as I enjoy Nando on podiums and wins again whilst MSC is being bested by Britney--to the detriment of Merc--I simply wouldn't bother.

Waking up for FP3 and Qualy was more an event of unlikely circumstance rather than desire. I don't want that to happen to my only followed spectacle/flavor of circus... again that is.

Oh yea, Kobayashi got demoted 5 grid spots for failure to meet with stewards after Q1. Sucks, but lets see what he can do from the back, I doubt it will be the caliber of Alonso in Monaco, but I like his style and his ability. The Sauber seemed like a better car, somewhat more consistent with was seen in preseason testing. Pdlr will be dueling with the Renaults, Williams so hopefully this gives them some much needed TV exposure; that Burger King sponsor seemed to be exclusive to Spain races only. And aero upgrades and chassis development don't pay for themselves.

Kobayashi handed five-place penalty

By Pablo Elizalde Saturday, July 31st 2010, 14:49 GMT

Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, Hungarian GPKamui Kobayashi was handed a five-place grid penalty ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix for missing a call to go into the FIA garage during qualifying.

The Sauber driver was called in by the FIA stewards to be weighed after the end of Q2, but the Japanese did not see the red light in the pitlane and continued to drive towards his team's garage.

As a consequence, Kobayashi was given a penalty and will have to start the race from 23rd position.

"I obviously went past a red light in the pit lane and missed going to the FIA scales. I just didn't see it," he said.

Last edited by 672; 07-31-2010 at 06:00 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
I hope the wing issue is resolved quickly. Andy while they're at it they should also investigate the mirror mounts on both the Ferrari and Red Bull which look alot like aero aids as well.

Flex front wings make a mockery of the testing that the FIA did with the teams in 2008 to try to find a front and rear wing solution. Remember how radical the cars looked when the new wing configurations were first imposed? This new look was the result of alot of R&D with the teams specifically for the purpose of bringing closer racing and allowing more frequent overtaking. That a flexible front wing now contributes to one teams cars being 2 seconds per lap quicker than the first car with a fixed wing makes a mockery of the FIA rules and the whole process. Looks like if nothing is done then it will become open season again. Let the biggest cheque book win.

Andrew.

...oOo...

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

Previous:
2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in