CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Alonso German GP win under threat?

Racers-Republic | Alonso German GP win under threat?

Alonso German GP win under threat?
Fernando Alonso, Felipe Massa and Ferrari team bosses have been summoned by race stewards to answer accusations of implementing team orders during the German Grand

Alonso claimed a controversial second victory of the season at Hockenheim, but only after long-time leader Massa pulled over to allow his team-mate through.

The stewards’ inquiry is likely to centre around a radio message Massa received from his race engineer Rob Smedley, who said: “Fernando is faster you. Can you confirm you understood that message?”

Massa would slow to allow Alonso through just two laps later, the Spaniard going on to take victory with the Brazilian settling for second.

Although Stefano Domenicali defended the team’s actions in interviews following the race, he and others at Ferrari have now been summoned to explain their actions.

Massa’s dissatisfaction was made clear on the podium and during the press conference when he kept his answers to questions short and stated that he ‘should have won’.

Team orders have been banned in F1 since the farcical 2002 Austrian Grand Prix when Rubens Barrichello slowed metres from the line to allow Michael Schumacher to win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I watched that instruction to let Alonso past, even though it was blatantly obvious it was an instruction from Ferrari.
At the end of the race and during the interviews, Massa's tone and body language said it all.

It was cheating, pure and simple, and I hope the FIA punish Ferrari severely, as well as declaring P1 & 2 void.

It was a F***ing travesty, and an insult to al F1 fans the World over

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
I would appreciate it if you wouldn't put the potential winner in the thread title.

SOME OF US HAVEN'T SEEN THE RACE YET, YA JACK WAGON!!!

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: Unimog 404 radio box
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wont spoil the race for others who have not seen it, but I will say that anyone in sport who wins from cheating (as far as I am consearned) does not deserve the acalade, and any so called sports man/women who takes a win from cheating should be banned from that sport, wheather team orders or not , it is thye principle that matters and if the winner feels no remorse for what he /she has done the should be banned for life. I am all for a good fight (vettel & Webber, hamilton & button) to all at FIA I love F1 please do not destroy the one sport I like. I feel like an ex F1 fan as this is really knocked me. I thought the FIA had got rid of this sort of thing.

Mike (F~#**ng) angry
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Why is it that Alonso always seems to be chest-deep in this sort of thing, no matter who he drives for? You have McLaren and the stolen Ferrari technical data, where he held on to incriminating information only to use it later to his advantage. You have the on-purpose crash with Renault to secure him the win, and now you have this.

This guy has to the the worst sport in recent memory in F1 - I honestly wonder if he's capable of winning on his own instead of just whining.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
What a let off! I sure hope the stewards are going to punish Ferrari for this BS. FIA is going to have to actually enforce the no team orders rule!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Ferrari fined, referred to WMSC over team order allegations

Following their controversial one-two result at the German Grand Prix, Ferrari have been fined US$100,000 by the FIA after race stewards deemed they had breached sporting regulations. The case has also been referred to the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC).

Ferrari driver Felipe Massa, who had been leading the Hockenheim race, moved aside to allow team mate Fernando Alonso past on Lap 49. A few moments before, Massa’s race engineer Rob Smedley had told the Brazilian "Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?"

Although Ferrari insisted this did not constitute a team order, the stewards decided they contravened Article 39.1 of the sporting regulations, which regulates against team orders, and Article 151 (c) of the International Sporting Code, which relates to bringing the sport into disrepute. The decision will also be forwarded to the WMSC for its consideration, meaning Ferrari could in theory face further sanction.

Maintaining Ferrari’s innocence, team principal Stefano Domenicali stated: “As for the stewards’ decision, given after the race, in the interests of the sport, we have decided not to go through a procedure of appealing against it, confident that the World Council will know how to evaluate the overall facts correctly.”

For his part, Massa suggested he and not the team had made the decision to surrender the lead to Alonso: “In my opinion this was not a case of team orders: my engineer kept me constantly informed on what was going on behind me, especially when I was struggling a bit on the hard tyres: so I decided to do the best thing for the team, and a one-two finish is the best possible result, isn’t it?”
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
$100,000 fine Less than the cost a new front wing

The FIA have got this wrong, they are not taking into account the millions of F1 aficionados that want to see a clean race, without a crackling, coded message to a driver to throw the race

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 05:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I think 100 millions would not be a big enough financial burden! I hope the WMSC will find them quilty and imply a real punishment!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
Clearly Massa was asked to move over. Alonso needs every point if he is to have any hope of challenging for the drivers title. McLaren are nearly 100 points clear of Ferrari in the constructors championship. Team orders? Or Alonso orders?

Andrew.

...oOo...

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

Previous:
2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in