Alonso German GP win under threat? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Astin View Post
I don't believe that the interpretration of rules and penalties should be changed depending on the status of the world championship. For a world championship to have any meaning it should be difficult to win and the driver and team who win it should do so in a sporting contest. Actually if the rules and penalties were applied consistently then over time the championship would in fact be closer more often! If any rule is broken there should be absolute certainty as to the penalty. It should not be decided that the breach of rule is less important one week because the race for the championship is closer than it is another week. That is an extraordinary situation that manipulates the true championship performance of the teams and individuals.

As I wrote earlier, in this case it is the driver that benefitted from the breach of the rules. The team did not benefit. Yet the driver faces no penalty. In principle, whether or not you are a fan of a particular driver, this is wrong.

Debate whether the rule should be changed. However, since the rule is in place this season and all the teams and drivers are aware of the rule it should be enforced absolutely consistently and the fine should be the same as it was in 2002. Any other team that does the same should receive the same fine also.

F1 has many flaws. But to see an F1 car driven in full flight by a talented driver is still one of the best experiences ever. I hope it can become a better sport - and not just a lottery of rules and personalities to determine who wins a championship.
If you're referring to me, let me stop you right here as I'm done defending this point, even Bernie 'shylock' Eccelstone agrees with what Ferrari have done--I don't, by the way. The decrepit mummy of a Man pretty much hinted that the FIA would stand down, ratings for this weeks race would be altered if post defacto penalties mess up the order and when it comes to money that old geezer doesn't play around.

I'm going to try and get some good odds on another Nando win at the hunguraring, otherwise without rain I doubt I'm going to be staying up.

I can't believe the masses still get this riled up about circus and bread, I guess that's what is supposed to happen but its still pathetic to witness. I can see why pleb revolts haven curtailed throughout history by this medium, it makes me ashamed of the Human race, though.
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Formula One team orders have been around since the series began in 1950, including the years since 2002 with FIA Article 39.1 in place.
39.1 is unenforceable unless a team issues blatant team orders a la Ferrari last Sunday, something the FIA must be aware of since it instituted this (illusion of a) rule following the public outcry after 2002's Austrian Grand Prix last lap Ferrari ordered Rubens Barrichello Michael Schumacher switcheroo.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2010
Ahh man,this just gets better.

Apparently Massa Senior says Massa was crying on the podium for being put in his place by Ferrari.

Q: Titônio, I could not let this slip as today is a bad day for Brazilian motorsport as we read the newspapers and I even showed you Twitter... everybody is very upset with this situation today as Felipe let Alonso through. Did he really let him through?

A: The only answer I can give is that it is deplorable. The decision Ferrari made in this race was really regrettable. It was crystal clear that Felipe let him through.

Q: And what about Felipe, his reaction, the future? Is this a contract issue, respect to the (team) hierarchy, how do you see that?

A: It is respect to an order given by a team that pays him and which hired him. As any good employee, you have to obey your boss and that's what he did, regardless of contracts, there's no such thing in his contract, there never was, but there is a hierarchy and that's what made Felipe (do it), for his character and loyalty he has and always had to Ferrari. So, unfortunately, it was a deplorable position, deplorable...

Q: So, there isn't any clause which states that Felipe is second driver and Alonso is first? It was a race situation, the interest of the team and respect to the hierarchy...?

A: There is nothing specifying he is first or second. The only thing is that it (being first or second river) comes to play when one driver does not have mathematical chances to win the championship and that is not the case. Mathematically, both drivers are in contention to win the title this year.

Q: Then there would be a compromise between them, one working for the other, depending on who is in contention for the championship.

A: Exactly. Just like it happened with Felipe and with Kimi, and then it happened with Kimi and with Felipe.

Q: Titônio, of course we can't speak for others, but you are a father and you know. How is Felipe doing right now? It's the first time that it happens to him, isn't it?

A: Well, I know how he is feeling, how he must be feeling. It went unnoticed, but I noticed and I saw that Felipe was crying on the podium.

It just makes the result at the Nurburging in 2007 taste all that much better.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
There are a lot of reasons why, rule or no rule, this won't be the last time a team takes blatant action to favor one driver over the other. Its just really sad that the FIA didn't have the balls to take constructor's points away from Ferrari for this. The money is meaningless - third world smokers will pay more for their marlboros to pay for the pathetic fine. It was clear the only people who think there was anything wrong with this are the fans and those who can relate to Massa's situation - sad to say - people who mean nothing to the ruling body.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB

Last edited by tuttebenne; 07-29-2010 at 07:25 AM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 03:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Bernie thrives on this shit! F1 gets worldwide exposure in all kinds of media, on the other hand FIA is getting bombarded with hate mail. The F1 Teams are not going to do much about it because each one would have done the same given the opportunity!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: