F1 rivals say Alonso best current driver - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by SSL View Post

It was the current crop of F1 drivers including Alonso and Schumacher who voted Senna as the all time greatest and whilst you are entitled to your opinion I will go with the opinions of those who actually know what they are talking about.

As to Alonso he is a good driver but not an all time great. That potential accolade disappeared when he was beaten on the track and forced out of the team by a rookie. No wonder he hates Hamilton so much; Lewis has cost him at least two additional WDCs, significantly tarnished his reputation and called into question the quality of his judgement.

If he was truly " all time great" material he would have stayed at McLaren and fought his corner assuming that it could have overlooked his attempt to blackmail it into giving him number one driver status. Instead, in much the same way that Senna destroyed Prost within McLaren, it took Hamilton just one season to humiliate a two time champion whose sense of self-entitlement beggars belief.

We have seen it again this weekend and frankly it stinks.

Spain has some great sporting embassadors at the moment and is enjoying a wonderful year of sporting achievement. Sadly FA is not adding to that list.

Oh and by the way I have been watching F1 since the early 1960s which does not make me an expert but does give me a reasonable perspective on the various runners and riders.
Clearly, but understand that it in no way assumes a complete consensus on the grid, I know for a fact Button prefers Prost over Senna, he said it in an interview a while back for the BBC and Kimi (while not a current pilot) I'm sure prefers Hunt. And on Top Gear's segment on Senna last night, I might be wrong, but it was only about 4-5 current pilots that said Senna, Alonso included.

I know my opinion is insignificant in comparison, but just know that the 80's and 90's while a great era (especially the Turbo V6 era) was not the only golden era of F1. In fact for me it was probably the 70's and the early 2000's to present (barring 2009).

Also, how did a rookie beat Alonso when they both finished in the same amount of points, knowing that the FIA intervened in 2007 in the whole pit stop situation that brought everything into the spotlight at Mclaren in what was nothing more than another in-team rivalry (common at Macca as you know) became a personal issue and stripped Alonso of a pole position and possible win for the GP. The fact that Hamilton was and is talented WAS NEVER in question, I knew that from Australia 2007, I don't follow GP2 but I knew he was something else. It wasn't like Alonso in the Minardi, since Hamilton was groomed from an early age at Macca with all the right equipment, funding and the right people on his side, but it was still like this guy is impressive.

The point structure only reflected that Hamilton had been higher in the points up until Kimi won Interlagos (with Massa giving way just as he did this Sunday), thus demoting him and placing him into what is at best a processional 2nd place, but the points sum was the same and he didn't have a pole position stolen from him by the FIA, he ruined his chances in China and it all went downhill from there; it was still impressive for a Rookie and still is the proverbial golden standard most rookies unfortunately have to face as a result. The stolen material etc... is really moot, and I'm not getting sucked into that after 4 years, I'm just not.

You obviously have never been talented. highly prized commodity only to be forced to work in a hostile environment with people who want nothing more than to see you fail, I have, so I won't bother with discussing that as this isn't about me. But like I said earlier, had cooler heads prevailed you'd be talking about the youngest 2X/3X/4X times WDC in the history.

I don't think the rivalry between Hamilton goes beyond the Track and maybe a few yellow journalism rags, he stopped and picked up Hamilton in a parade lap when the classic car he was in broke and they waved like it was another 9-5. It may be forced, but as I said if you ever get over the aforementioned you realize that the only way such a rivalry benefits you is when you're trying to advance your performance in private affairs not boost the sells of magazines, so what's the point in hating anyone when it doesn't benefit you.

I must have been the only one who supported his return to Renault, both in an empathic sense as well as logical, its only too bad that the success didn't go beyond late 2008. Alonso in Renault in 2003-2006 was something special and knowing that a smaller team who is best known for being an engine supplier was thrashing the big two was... well it just made it all that much better. His entire career began from the grassroots level, that is why unlike so many other drivers with a great deal of financial and support Alonso came out of nowhere; Spain had very little success in motorsports barring Sainz in WRC when Alonso was already in his teens. As an enthusiast that makes all the difference.

An ambassador? This guy isn't a role model to me, he his entertainment. I laugh at those who idolize anyone, People are flawed their legacies are often self-perpetuated lies to sell a product or an image. This is no different. Listen if I saw Rafa Nadal or Gasol (as they hang out in the US a lot apparently) and I felt like talking to them, which is rare for me to even get remotely excited about it, I wouldn't even bother to say anything about there careers in sports. It would be more about stuff we Spaniards have in common and miss from Iberia.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: