Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Schumacher would win in a Red Bull, says Ecclestone

Schumacher would win in a Red Bull, says Ecclestone
ESPNF1 Staff
July 8, 2010

Bernie Ecclestone thinks that Michael Schumacher would still be winning races if he was driving a better car, such as a Red Bull, this season.

Schumacher has endured a torrid 2010 season to date in what many predicted would be a successful comeback year. The seven-time world champion is languishing 41 points behind team-mate Nico Rosberg and completed the worst finish of his glittering F1 career with 15th place in Valencia.

But Ecclestone insists it is the Mercedes car that is the reason for Michael Schumacher's struggles in 2010.

"He has found a much more difficult situation than he would have counted on," Ecclestone told Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport. "It's not a question of him, but of the car. If Michael was sitting in the Red Bull, he would immediately be as he was before."

Earlier this week FIA President Jean Todt also jumped to Schumacher's defence, calling for greater respect to be shown to the Mercedes driver.

"Michael is a great person, a great champion," Todt told Autosport. "I mean, I don't know somebody else who has won seven titles, 91 grands prix. Some people when they judge, they must be very careful, very respectful of what he has been doing."

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Rubbish, Bernie is talking nonsense !

How come Nico Rosberg consistently out performs Shumi in the same car. This same car was re-vamped to suit Shumi, yet Nico still did better.
Put Nico in a Red Bull and he'll still out perform Shumi.

Michael has to face up to it, he's too old and has lost his edge. He'll again be left behind at Sunday's race, with Nico qualifying and finishing in front.

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to agree with RedLiner!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: '93 500E, '02 C320 Wagon (sport), '78 308 GTS, '00 Contour SVT, '03 SV650s
I agree with Bernie...put Michael in a RBR Renault and he would be winning races. As long as it was a one car team. I think Vettel and Webber would beat him in the same car, and we know that Nico does.

I hate to admit it, but I think Schumi is past his prime. I've been following F1 since the 80's and Michael in his prime (as long as he had top equipment, didn't have to be the best, but top equipment). I think F1 has changed some since he retired. I would like to see him in it again next year, after he's learned all the new tracks and had a year to get reaquainted.

I was really pulling for Vettel this year, but he has not shown the maturity thus far in the season. I think it is still pretty much a toss up.

'93 500E
'02 C320 Wagon (sport)
'78 308 GTS
'00 Contour SVT (for sale)
'03 SV650s
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2007 BMW X3
Given time Schumi will adapt. At seven titles, believe me, everyone is chasing his record. Maybe he has lost his edge, but he has the ability to get it back. Their are a lot of great drivers out their, namely Seb Vettle who has been showing his age lately.

I am glad that Mercedes has German driver.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2009 C63 AMG
Send a message via AIM to Case1906
Originally Posted by EvoGuy View Post
I have to agree with RedLiner!
He's just off the pace. The question is can he get the edge back. We'll see if the Schu can make a splash in his home race this weekend.

2009 AMG C63-Arctic White
2006 E350 AMG Sport-Black
2003 Acura MDX
1997 E320 Black (sold)
1996 Isuzu Rodeo (donated)
1988 RX-7T Limited Edition (my fav)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: