post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking back at Montreal

June 14, 2010 by joesaward

What conclusions can we draw from the Canadian Grand Prix? The thing I think that struck me most is that Formula 1 loves Montreal – and Montreal loves Formula 1. With a new promoter and government help the race in Montreal should be able to pay its bills and break even. That is great news. Let us hope that we can see a similar situation develop in the United States in the years ahead. With the right kind of race track, Formula 1 has a lot to offer racing fans in the United States.

The other outstanding thing for me is that Mercedes needs to get its act together a bit more. In qualifying in Montreal the factory team was beaten by both of its customer teams and its star driver Michael Schumacher was again overshadowed by Nico Rosberg. The youngster has twice as many points as the old warhorse, despite the fact that the car was substantially modified to suit Michael’s style. That upset Nico’s equilibrium for a bit but he now seems to be back on top again.

With the season ticking towards the halfway point, one would hope that Michael would by now be doing a better job than he is. The team has been led at most of the races by Rosberg. In Montreal – not for the first time – Michael looked like a man who is becoming increasingly desperate, chopping across his rivals as they pass him and generally looking like someone who should have stayed retired.

You can call that a harsh view, but that is what the F1 Paddock is saying. People say that this is the comeback of a man who cannot think what else to do with his life, rather than that of someone who is really motivated to become a winner again. And it is becoming sad. The German media will not say such things because Michael is their meal ticket or they are frightened to speak the truth.

Answer this question, if you will: if Nick Heidfeld were driving Michael Schumacher’s car and producing the same kind of performances would not the media in Germany be clamouring for Nick to be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Comment: The reason may have been that Schumacher was kept on the track with the soft option tires from lap 33 till the end (70), more than half the race distance.

F1 »

Mercedes laments Schumacher strategy
Ross Brawn admits Mercedes got it wrong on strategy with Michael Schumacher in Montreal
Mercedes boss Ross Brawn admitted that the team has made an error on strategy with Michael Schumacher after the German missed out on points in the Canadian Grand Prix.

A long final stint on the softer Bridgestone tyres proved to the undoing of the seven-time champion as he struggled for grip and dropped out of the points – slipping from eighth place to finish eleventh despite some robust defensive moves in the closing stages.

Schumacher's planned strategy had been changed after he suffered a puncture while dicing for position with Renault's Robert Kubica and Brawn admitted that he revised strategy hadn't gone according to plan.

“Michael was looking strong in the first phase of the race and was very well-placed,” he said. “Unfortunately the incident with Kubica punctured the right front tyre and coming in for the extra stop meant we were out of phase with where we wanted to be with the tyres.

“With hindsight, it was over-ambitious to try and get the option to last as long as we did and Michael really struggled towards the end. We've come away with some points from the weekend [from Nico Rosberg in sixth] but not as many as we would have hoped."

Schumacher himself admitted that there were still positives to take away from the weekend even though he was disappointed to miss out on a points finish.

"I was trying as hard as I could to defend myself but it was only possible to a certain degree and my tyres were just ruined after having done more than half the race distance,” he said. “I was fighting cars with a good top speed which was quite tough. Otherwise I would have been in a good position I think, so we have something to take away to the next races."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Montreal is a fantastic place from which to enjoy F1. The people, the sights, the locale, it all comes together for a great time.

With regard to Michael, the only mistake that was made was to duke it out with Kubica. If MS had simply let him by or not fought for that position he would have been in the catbird seat and could have finished up in the points. But he let the red mist get the better of him and he forgot that to finish first you first have to finish.

With regard to the Mercedes GP chassis, Shumie and Nico, its clear by now that the chassis is coming along fine and Michael simply, sadly is not. I watched him lap after lap from my seat at the hairpin and 75% of the time he was battling a twitch at the rear of the car on exit. Each time he had to put in some opposite lock to get the car pointed where it needed to be. I was surprised to see this and am coming to the opinion that Michael is struggling with the lack of traction control.

That said, I can't wait to go back next year.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
I watched him lap after lap from my seat at the hairpin and 75% of the time he was battling a twitch at the rear of the car on exit. Each time he had to put in some opposite lock to get the car pointed where it needed to be. I was surprised to see this and am coming to the opinion that Michael is struggling with the lack of traction control.

That said, I can't wait to go back next year.
Again, you can't beat being there and watching the events unfold in real time accompanied by the atmosphere and the smell

Luckily for me there are two F1s in Spain each year, so I get to go to both.

I still can't fathom why F1 can't be staged in the USA

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
Luckily for me there are two F1s in Spain each year, so I get to go to both.

I still can't fathom why F1 can't be staged in the USA
Two races in your home country - now THAT is good fortune! Enjoy them and let us know how they were.

Regarding F1 in the USA, a race in Austin, Texas for 2012 was announced a couple of weeks ago. It will involve a brand new track in a location that thinks that anything with four wheels is either a pickup truck or an "appliance" that can get you from point A to point B. It remains to be seen how successful this event will be. Personally, if I had one event to go to it would be Montreal.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
There used to be two in the U.S.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
There used to be two in the U.S.
And let's not forget Detroit and Las Vegas... Well okay, let's not forget Detroit!

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:31 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: '87 190E 2.3-16
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Montreal is a fantastic place from which to enjoy F1. The people, the sights, the locale, it all comes together for a great time.
Too bad the track (Le Circuit Gilles Villeneuve) sucks the big one. I bet the teams would kill for the opportunity to run at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant again, like in the old days.

1987 W201 190E 2.3-16: Vintage racer
1990 C124 300CE coupe: Daily Driver
1991 Peugeot 405 Mi 16: Weekend Toy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Two races in your home country - now THAT is good fortune! Enjoy them and let us know how they were.

Regarding F1 in the USA, a race in Austin, Texas for 2012 was announced a couple of weeks ago. It will involve a brand new track in a location that thinks that anything with four wheels is either a pickup truck or an "appliance" that can get you from point A to point B. It remains to be seen how successful this event will be. Personally, if I had one event to go to it would be Montreal.
To make matters even worse for us here in US, Valencia is 3 hours away from Barcelona! It's like Atlanta and Charlotte, how cool is that for the spanish fans!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2012 E63 Bi-Turbo w/ Renntech ECU Upgrade (and a 2011 ML350 BlueTec) 2005 E55 SOLD :(
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My wife and I went to Montreal for the first time this year and it was fantastic! Even got to meet and have pictures with Sir Jackie Stewart!

Montreal is a lot like Austin except for Austin's lack of public transportation. A true gem of a city here in the US, I hope everyone tries the race and enjoys our Texas hospitality and the lakes and attractions in this live music capital of the world. As a local, I'm kind of hoping that they don't put this dead in the middle of summer as it can be rough regarding the heat and it would be so much better right before Canada on the calendar if they could do it, somehow.

Why don't we have a Benzworld get-together for the race? I'll even offer to organize this since I know the town and spent 10 wonderful years at the University of Texas in the 90's.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in