post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes should not supply more F1 teams - Brawn

(GMM) Ross Brawn does not think Mercedes should supply any more formula one teams with customer engines.

According to France's Auto Hebdo, the German marque's board met on Monday and discussed the possibility of supplying engines to a fourth team in 2011.

Currently, Mercedes supplies its Brackley based works team as well as McLaren and Force India.

Red Bull wanted to switch from Renault to Mercedes this season, but the move was vetoed by the marque's then exclusive formula one partner McLaren.

McLaren, however, is now only a customer team, meaning that Mercedes is apparently free to supply Red Bull next year if it desires.

But Brawn, team principal of Mercedes GP, told Italy's Autosprint magazine: "In terms of engine deliveries, we are on the limit.

"We should think long and hard before deciding to add another team to the customer list."

It is possible that Brawn simply does not want Red Bull's superior chassis to be combined with the best engine in F1, but he argues that "a (independent) company like Cosworth must be able to sell its engines".

Brawn also denies that the Mercedes is necessarily the best engine on the grid.

"I do not know exactly where we are in that (horse power) area, but there are other things that come into play. You also have to consider the cooling, the fuel consumption and how an engine responds to the input of the driver."

Brawn added that "the boss of Renault's engine department said recently that it (the Renault V8) may be missing some engine power, but in other areas it is the best".

However, it is believed that Red Bull is still eyeing a switch from Renault to Mercedes power for next season.

But team boss Christian Horner is quoted by Motor21: "If the problems (with the Renault engine's power) are solved then there would be no reason to change."

Still no Friday practice plans for Virgin's Soucek
(GMM) Virgin still has no plans to give its test and reserve driver Andy Soucek some laps on the Friday of a grand prix weekend.

We reported in April that the reigning F2 champion is contracted to do some driving in 2010, but he said the new British team "currently have other problems than to be thinking about the third driver".

The 24-year-old Austrian-Spaniard now tells "I have a contract that states I will test at the end of the year for two days."

As for the possibility of a Friday practice session outing, Soucek adds: "I believe it would be interesting for the team to have a third opinion about the car, but at the moment they do not see it the same way.

"Every week I'm putting pressure on the CEO by sending emails," he said.

With Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi in the race cockpits this year, Soucek is not sure he sees a future at Virgin for 2011.

"It's hard to say," he answered. "I have a one year contract with a clause for renewal. There is a chance of a (race) cockpit, but there are other options," he added.

Asked if he has a plan-B for 2011, Soucek answered: "It's simple -- I want to make money with my racing. After almost 14 years I think it's time!

"IndyCar is definitely a possibility and I would go to another series if I would get paid for it. Already this year I am making money with my job."
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: