(Thread Starter)
Aussie rules

Aussie rules

Life Through A Lens - Mark Sutton
F1 Photo Picture Archive | Page 14 | Crash.Net
Red Bull swimming pool celebration
May 19, 2010
F1 photographer Mark Sutton is a regular ESPNF1 columnist © Sutton Images

What a great weekend, Monaco never disappoints.

The man of the moment was most definitely Mark Webber and the celebrations on the Red Bull Energy Station rounded the whole weekend off brilliantly. I arrived there quite early, knowing that something would happen because they have a history of celebrating in style ever since Christian Horner jumped into the pool there wearing nothing but a Superman cape in 2006. I wasn't disappointed, and before the drivers arrived there was a whole bunch of people applauding all the team members one by one as they came out on the decking, it was almost like a hall of fame or red carpet event.

So it was building up nicely and it wasn't long before 60 or 70 people had crowded around the pool, just waiting for the drivers to arrive. But the team must have got impatient with all that hanging around because they started throwing themselves in the pool and pretty soon half of them were soaking wet. When the drivers did arrive Sebastian Vettel was pushed in almost immediately while Mark stood back as if to say "This is my day and I'm going to jump in the pool in my own time". He took his boots off, which seemed a bit bizarre to me, and then did a perfect backflip into the water to the cheers of everybody watching. Ideally I would have had my underwater camera with me so I could have got a shot of Mark with the trophy from below the surface - that would have been the perfect picture but maybe next time.

Mark Sutton's picture of the weekend brought to you by GP Week © Sutton Images
The whole weekend belonged to Mark and it was great to share a bit of that. In Parc Ferme he spotted me and gave me the thumbs up and then when he came through the media centre to go to the press conference he gave me a high five with a massive great slap on my hand. It was a great moment and one that I won't forget for a while.

In the end we got some great celebration shots, which is important in Monaco because the podium is always in the shade and the photos don't always pop out at you as much as you'd like. The only exciting bit of the ceremony is when they spray the champagne over the mechanics and my brother Keith was there with them to cover the action. So a lot of people got soaked with champagne and a lot of people got soaked in the pool - you could say we still had a wet weekend despite there being no rain.

Jarno Trulli piles into Karun Chandhok © Sutton Images
But Monaco is always special whatever the weather and I think we did a good job at catching the action this weekend. After the race a guy came up to me and asked if I wanted pictures from the crash. My initial reaction was "what crash?" I'd seen the Rubens Barrichello one at Massenet but I had no idea what had happened between Jarno Trulli and Karun Chandhok. Anyway, we ended up bartering with this guy at the bar because Keith had a bit of cash on him and we eventually came to a deal. As a photo agency you feel you should cover every angle and in the end we negotiated a fair price so that he was happy and we were happy - I think Keith's words to him were "take your girlfriend out for nice dinner on the town". A lot of the fans that go to the race - that aren't VIPs or Monegasques - are on a tight budget so I'm sure it helped a bit.

Movie actors Chris Tucker and Michael Douglas talk to Lewis Hamilton © Sutton Images
There were a lot of celebrities there over the weekend and as usual I was working on the grid before the race. Monaco is so much more difficult than anywhere else because it's so packed full of people that you barely have enough space to breathe, let alone take photos. I decided to start at the back of the grid with Hispania and work forward, and as I did I couldn't help but bump into celebs. Almost immediately I came across Naomi Campbell and then just a little further down there was Michael Douglas with Lewis Hamilton. There was one guy with Lewis who I didn't recognize but just started snapping anyway - I later found out it was the movie star Chris Tucker. Then there was Mick Jagger, the Sugerbabes and Richard Branson, I just kept bumping into people and they were all willing to pose for photos. But don't be fooled, it was hard work down there.

Overall it was a great atmosphere and the weekend was only slightly tainted by the news that our flight home had been canceled (again) due to the ash cloud. So for the second race this season we had to find another route back and in the end we went by car, boat and taxi, making very good time along the way. I just hope talking about canceled flights doesn't become a regular feature in this column this season.

Sutton Images | GP Week

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff
Attached Images
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Daniel Ricciardo took a stunning victory in Monaco today

Another Aussie did good in Monaco:

Daniel Ricciardo adds a Monaco win to his CV
Sunday, 16 May 2010 23:25 Media Release

Ricciardo on the podium|Photo
Daniel Ricciardo took a stunning victory in Monaco today, in front of packed grandstands and the F1 fraternity. Racing in front of the Red Bull and Toro Rosso F1 teams to whom he is reserve driver, the Perth born racer took a flawless lights to flag victory to take his first win in the Formula Renault 3.5 championship.

Having struggled in previous races to capitalise on his front row start, Daniel made the perfect getaway as the lights went out this morning in Monaco. Second placed man Mikhail Aleshin ran alongside the Australian into the first corner, but Daniel held his place and maintained his position over the first lap. By lap two, Daniel had already pulled out a comfortable gap and as the race settled into a rhythm, the young Australian was three seconds in front of his nearest competitor.

As the race progressed, Daniel continued to dominate from the front, but after a flying first half of the race, started to suffer from tyre wear in the closing stages. That allowed Aleshin to close up on Daniel, but he never looked too much under threat and kept a cool head to maintain the lead. At full race distance, Daniel was 0.8 seconds ahead and crossed the line to take his first Formula Renault 3.5 victory and a win at one of the most prestigious race circuits in the world.

Monaco race winner Daniel said, “To be honest I can’t believe it! This has to be the best race win of my career. For once, I made a good start in a FR3.5
[Ricciardo getting away well from Pole|Photo]

Ricciardo getting away well from Pole|Photo
car! After the start I wanted to build up a gap from [Mikhail] Aleshin and I managed to pull out a few seconds on him over the first few laps. I think I might have over-used the tyres a bit though, as they started to fade in the final stages and Aleshin managed to close up on me again. But thankfully it never got too close and I was able to cross the line fairly comfortably. Its going to take a while to get over this, I’m so happy!”
Taking his victory in Monaco just an hour before preparations for the Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix got underway, Daniel has added one of the most high profile victories to his already impressive CV. As a Monaco race winner, Daniel will join Prince Albert II of Monaco, the winner of the Formula 1 Grand Prix and other guests at a glittering awards dinner this evening in Monte Carlo.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: