Schu: Some want to profit from Monaco mess | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video
Wednesday 12th May 2010
Michael Schumacher has slated F1's team bosses for failing to reach an agreement to split this Saturday's Monaco qualifying.
The F1 drivers had unanimously agreed that it would be better - and safer - to split the first of the three qualifying segments into two ten minutes.
This would mean half the field would run in the first part and the other half in the second, meaning there would be less chance of getting caught in traffic or even involved in an accident.
However, their F1 team bosses were not able to agree on the format, which Schumacher blames on those who want their drivers higher up the order than the position their cars actually deserve.
"Some team bosses felt they would rather have the chaos and maybe take the profit from this than to have a reasonable, clean qualifying," Schumacher told Autosport.
"So that's what it is, that's what we have to deal with, and let's see who has to suffer or not."
Schumacher's concerns may come as a surprise to some as the German has previously run in qualifying through the streets of Monte Carlo during the days when there were more than 24 cars on the track.
However, the seven-time World Champ thinks it's more of a problem today than it was back then.
"In a way the field is probably a bit tighter (now) because in the past it was normal to have five or six seconds difference between the first and the last cars, and staggering backwards there were bigger gaps," he said.
"Now you have more cars in close competition in terms of lap times, but when you have 24 cars on a track which is 3.6km, it comes down to less than 200 metres between each car if all the cars are on track. That's not much for qualifying, so it's going to be interesting for Q1."