LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rosberg: Schumacher won't be down long

Nico Rosberg, one of the men most in the know, is adamant Michael Schumacher will be back in top form sooner rather than later. Rosberg has been by far the better of the two Mercedes GP drivers this season, beating Schumacher in all four qualifying sessions and grands prix.

The younger German also has two podium finishes to his name, putting him second in the Drivers' Championship on 50 points, 40 ahead of his seven-time World Champion team-mate.

And although Rosberg admits he is enjoying his time as Merc's leading driver, he doesn't believe it will last much longer.

"I'm happy to be ahead of him but I don't know how long it will last," he told the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

"I would have been content to be at his level. Now I hope I can carry on fighting with him."

However, it wasn't just the 'Schumi has lost it myth' that Rosberg was keen to deny, adding his thoughts on what it's like to have the 41-year-old as a team-mate.

"People probably have the wrong opinion on Michael," he said.

"I myself thought that it wouldn't be a good thing to have him as team-mate, when instead I'm positively surprised about it." Planet F1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seems that Rosberg is a class act!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
I always liked Nico, he seemed super ethical in various situations but still a fighter regardless what car he drove.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Shu driving car designed for Button

(GMM) It is "unfair" to not give Michael Schumacher more time to get back up to speed in 2010 after three years of retirement, according to his former F1 rival David Coulthard.

After dropping 40 points behind his teammate Nico Rosberg in the first four races, some pundits are predicting the revised Mercedes package for Barcelona will be Schumacher's last chance before being universally written off.

But while making his own return to racing last weekend, where Coulthard qualified next to last for DTM's Hockenheim opener, the 39-year-old Scot said the seven time world champion needs more time.

"Give him half a season," he told Germany's Bild newspaper. "Only then can we realistically assess his performance."

Although famed for being able to adapt to less than ideal conditions, Coulthard thinks Schumacher is simply struggling with Mercedes' 2010 car.

"That car was actually designed for Jenson Button," he insisted, referring to the reigning world champion's late switch to McLaren, which made room for Schumacher at the rebranded Brawn team.

"It is obviously that it (the car) is not right for Michael and it will take time for Mercedes to get it right for his driving," said Coulthard.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Stirling Moss says Michael Schumacher is washed up

Sir Stirling Moss has labeled Michael Schumacher as "past it", after a disappointing start to the seven-time world champion's F1 return.

Schumacher has scored just ten points in four races, forty less than his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg. A number of ex-drivers, including Mika Hakkinen, have urged fans to give Schumacher time but Moss insists the comeback was a mistake.

Asked if he could understand Schumacher's decision to return, Moss told the Metro: "In a word no. He's a highly intelligent bloke, and I really can't see … all he's going to do is damage his achievements. People are going to say that he's past it now, which he probably is."

In his exclusive column with ESPNF1, Moss reiterated his belief that Schumacher never faced a competitive team-mate in his glory years and that he doesn't appear to have the same "compulsion" to win on his return.

"People say it's because he's been away for three years and that sort of stuff, but I'm going to stick to what I said at the start of the season: Until now, he's never had a truly competitive team-mate," Moss said. "His seven world titles are, in my mind, misleading and I think we are seeing proof of that now he is up against Rosberg. Rosberg has proved himself as the team's No.1 and he's been faster than Schumacher in all circumstances.

"What's more I'm not sure he is taking F1 as seriously as he was earlier in his career. You need a compulsion to be there, you can't just do it for fun, and I don't think Schumacher has that compulsion anymore. To win you need to believe that there is no way anybody else can beat you and, frankly, I don't think he's in that kind of mindset. It seems as though this year is just part of his retirement rather than an extension of his career." ESPNF1
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well, the jury is out. It will max take to max middle of the season to see whether he can do it, or not.
I believe with the old unlimited testing rules, he might already have been up to speed.
We'll see.
Cheers
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I agree, he's got to have more time in the seat, and the car has to be adapted to his driving style. I respect Sir Moss immensely (and glad he's back to his spunky self), but it's hard for me to buy that he isn't performing because he has a competitive team mate.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes G55, Mercedes R500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MSC has time to regain his form. The guy has been out of F1 for 3 years and the cars are radically different from his era. With the new changes, MSC should do better, but realistically, who thought he would win the championship this year? I always assumed this year was a elongated practice year with 2011 being the year for him to push the leaders.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Schumacher motivated as more rumours predict comeback collapse
Racing series F1
Date 2010-05-03
By Motorsport.com/GMM

Share |

Speculation about Michael Schumacher's mood continues to rise, but the seven time world champion insists he is "extremely motivated" ahead of the fifth race of his 2010 comeback.

After three years of retirement, the 41-year-old German has been consistently outpaced by his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg so far in 2010, but will have a car with a longer wheelbase in Spain that should better suit his driving style.

"When he has that (revised car) I think we will have to reassess the whole story," commented former triple world champion Sir Jackie Stewart.

"If he then doesn't deliver, then I think he has a problem," added the Scot.

70-year-old Stewart thinks part of Schumacher's problem will be reassessing his desire to honour the full three years of his new contract.

"You know, I don't think he should have retired when he did in 2006 because I don't think it was out of his system," he said. "This might take it out of his system."

Schumacher's old title rival of the 90s, Damon Hill, is not ruling out that "the old Schumacher magic" could soon return.

"Is it still there?" he told the Daily Mail, whose headline accuses Mercedes of "wasting money" on Schumacher.

"I'm sure that's a question Michael will be asking himself -- and it's one that is starting to become valid after four races," added Hill.

In an official Mercedes press release, Schumacher played down the likely effect of the car upgrades for Barcelona but sounded bullish about his own outlook.

Team boss Ross Brawn also said the German is "determined to succeed" despite the setbacks so far.

Added Schumacher: "Our step forward in Barcelona will be bigger than you can make at each race during the flyaways but it would not be realistic to expect us to suddenly be competing right at the front," he said.

"However the good news is that after three years away, I am feeling extremely motivated. So I am clearly ready to take this challenge," added the record winner of 91 grands prix.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Interesting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in