Bahrain results

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  toovo1985 
#1 ·
Alonso
Massa
Hamilton
Vettel
Rosberg

The Ferrari's are back! Vettel dropped back with a bad exhaust header. More to come...

#2 ·
Those Ferrari's...

I really wanted to see a Mercedes engine grab the top! Still, amazing performance by Alonso with major props to Massa considering what he's been through! Although I will admit, I was hoping Rosberg or Schumacher would grab a podium spot.

Can't wait to see the Australian Grand Prix in a couple weeks. This season is proving to be quite interesting with all the new regulations, drivers, and teams.

#3 ·
Pos Driver Team Time/Behind
1. Alonso Ferrari 1h39:20.396
2. Massa Ferrari +16.099
3. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes +23.182
4. Vettel Red Bull-Renault +38.713
5. Rosberg Mercedes +40.263
6. Schumacher Mercedes +44.180
7. Button McLaren-Mercedes +45.260
8. Webber Red Bull-Renault +46.308
9. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes +53.089
10. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth +1:02.400
11. Kubica Renault +1:09.093
12. Sutil Force India-Mercedes +1:22.958
13. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari +1:32.656
14. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth +1 lap
15. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth +1 lap
16. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari +3 laps
17. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth +3 laps
18. De la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari DNF Lap 30
19. Senna HRT-Cosworth DNF Lap 18
20. Glock Virgin-Cosworth DNF Lap 17
21. Petrov Renault DNF Lap 14
22. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari DNF Lap 12
23. Di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth DNF Lap 3
24. Chandhok HRT-Cosworth DNF Lap 2

Fastest lap: Alonso, 1:58.287

#4 ·
I enjoyed every minute of that race! I cant believe though how bumpy some sections of that track were!

#9 ·
Yes, Sao Paulo was very good, between and around the rain drops. Crash on lap one turn one, Marco Andretti pinned in his car, a bunch of passing, all on a narrow street circuit. I enjoyed it.
Bahrain was okay, I like most racing and F1 doesn't have that much, yet I watched it anyway.

#10 ·
A parade of drivers that have the skill and ingenuity to to nurse their tyres and fuel in a highly competitive race to the finish, OR relying on pit teams to think for them, bringing them in for a "splash and dash" and a quick tyre change every other lap.

Let's see how it goes, and not get too negative after just one race.

#11 ·
I'm aware of the drivers abilities and do enjoy that. I would like to see refueling again, even more strategy, the pits call most of the shots in most racing series. It gets obvious sometimes, pass the guy in front of you, don't get passed, save your tires and drive to conserve fuel, do folks with a super license need this info?
I've been a fan of F1 for decades, actually any racing concerning engines. They all have their different attributes and skills.

#14 ·
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE (taken from MERCEDES GP PETRONAS F1 Bahrain Race Report | eMercedesBenz)

Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher brought their MERCEDES GP PETRONAS cars home in fifth and sixth positions respectively at the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix today.

Starting on the option tyres from fifth on the grid, Nico had a great start to overtake Lewis Hamilton into turn six to move up to fourth. Michael, starting from seventh on the grid, was running in sixth and also using the softer rubber.

The pair made only one stop during the race, Michael on lap 15 and Nico on lap 16, to switch to the prime tyres. Nico lost a position to Hamilton at the stops and they remained in fifth and sixth positions for the remainder of the 49-lap race. Nico chased down Sebastian Vettel at the end of the race but was unable to pass in the turbulent air.

Today’s result puts MERCEDES GP PETRONAS in third position in the Constructors’ Championship with 18 points.

NICO ROSBERG

“I had a great start today and was happy to be running in fourth position by the end of the first lap. However I lacked pace on the option tyres in the first stint and struggled for pace. Lewis beat me on strategy in the pit stop which we need to analyse later and see what happened. I couldn’t quite get Sebastian at the end as I lost grip in the dirty air when I got close. However fifth place is a good start for us and I am confident that we can develop well from here.”

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER

“After three years away, I’m happy to say that I had fun out there today, especially at the beginning with the good start that I had. I can live very well with sixth position and it gives both me and the team a good base to make progress. I have every confidence that we will improve the car. Working with the team for our first race together was very positive and the guys did a great job so I would like to thank them for their support in my comeback race. We all know that we have some way to go but we will get there. The season is long.”

ROSS BRAWN

“Nico and Michael did a great job this weekend to finish in fifth and sixth positions and now we need to give them the car to improve on those placings. We were not quick enough today and our race pace was not there to finish further up the field and challenge for a podium position. We have some hard work ahead but I am confident that we can progress the car strongly in the next few races. The team performed extremely well this weekend and for our first race with our two new drivers, we achieved two strong points-scoring finishes.”

NORBERT HAUG

“It was a difficult race weekend for our team with these extremely hot conditions in Manama. We looked better in the practice sessions than during the race and it appears that we could not handle the tyres as well as the teams ahead of us. Fifth position for Nico and sixth place for Michael was the best possible result today. We have some work to do and we are confident that we will catch up soon.”

#15 ·
(GMM) The British press lashed out at F1's new formula, after the sensationally-billed 2010 season opener in Bahrain proved a questionable spectacle.
Drivers and insiders are blaming the refuelling ban, with most cars adopting similar race strategies at the Sakhir circuit and then being unable to follow their rivals closely enough to overtake.

Red Bull's Mark Webber blamed the rule makers, asking scathingly: "Why do they keep dicking with it?"

The Daily Telegraph's Kevin Garside agreed, arguing that Bahrain was a "warning of the dangers of tinkering beyond repair".

The Fleet Street tabloid The Sun predictably slammed the 'Bore-rain GP', with the Daily Mail adding: "The FIA and teams must look at the problem urgently and see what can be tweaked.

"The sport is in danger of missing out on its greatest bonanza. There are four champions on the grid, all in competitive cars. The racing should be sparkling rather than as dry as the desert."

The foreign press was less vociferous in its condemnation, but even Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport - delighted with the Ferrari one-two - had to mention the lack of fizz.

"Looking at it objectively, this new and highly anticipated F1 produced a rather boring race, with very few passes and most of the field bunched at the back," read the sports daily.

"But Sakhir is an odd track -- we'll see how the season unfolds."

France's L'Equipe said it was "unanimous" that Bahrain "was deadly dull", while Auto Hebdo insisted it is "too early to say" the new rules have failed, "but the lack of excitement did not go unnoticed".

Germany's Bild quoted Adrian Sutil's father Jorge as saying: "Next time I will take with me something to read."

Michael Schumacher and race winner Fernando Alonso predicted more of the same in 2010, and reigning world champion Jenson Button played down Alain Prost's claim that the new generation will adjust to the formula that was last in place 17 years ago.

"It's not like the old days," said the Briton. "We have so much more downforce. You could follow cars (back) then. You could slide up the inside. You could race. It's very different now."

#17 ·
Ridiculous race!!! A bunch of cars taking some laps at one of the most expensive tracks in the world!!! Oh was it an F1 race??? didn't notice!!! OVERTAKING UNEXISTENT!!! Something has to change!!! this is ridiculous!!! F1 dissapointing on the start of a promising season!!! And the screen information!!! CRAP!!!

#18 ·
F1 (to me) is about technology and driver skill. Strategy is called from the pits because it takes a calculator or spreadsheet to figure out what the next move should be and not something the driver can do by himself. Those who want to see passing for the sake of passing should watch NASCAR. There you can have someone in position 18 five laps from the end and he can ultimately win. That's ridiculous and not what I am looking for.

I'll bet Schumie is busy telling Ross Brawn and the engineers what he thinks needs to change with the car. If they can make some quick adaptions, they will be challenging up front before too long. Kudos to Alonso and Massa for their fantastic result, and to Lotus for finishing the race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.