Montezemolo: Mercedes are not a proper Formula One manufacturer - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Montezemolo: Mercedes are not a proper Formula One manufacturer

Mercedes are not a true manufacturer, say Ferrari | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Mercedes are not a true manufacturer, say Ferrari

* Reuters, Thursday January 28 2010

By Mark Meadows
MARANELLO, Italy, Jan 28 (Reuters) - Mercedes are not a proper Formula One manufacturer and Michael Schumacher has only returned to racing thanks to Ferrari, the Italian team's president Luca di Montezemolo said on Thursday.
Seven-times world champion Schumacher, who has turned his back on his former team to come out of retirement with Mercedes, was not mentioned at the launch of Ferrari's 2010 car but Montezemolo failed to dodge questions afterwards.
"Let's not talk about Schumacher," Montezemolo told a news conference before being drawn into the differences between glamour team Ferrari and the new Mercedes outfit which bought world champions and former Honda-branded Brawn.
"I have great respect for Mercedes. I have said and I repeat it's good to see their full involvement in Formula One. But it's a different involvement to us," he said in a building on "Piazza Michael Schumacher" in Ferrari's spiritual home in north Italy.
"Their involvement is based in England. They bought Brawn."
Montezemolo is proud of Ferrari's Italian heart and the fact they are one of the few manufacturers remaining and the only team to have competed in all 60 F1 seasons.
SPECIAL ATMOSPHERE
He does not think Germany's Mercedes can reproduce that special atmosphere even if Schumacher has taken some tips with him, especially as he worked as a consultant on the new car.
"Honestly, I am no longer worried about what secrets leaked out with Schumacher," Montzemolo said before pointing out it was him who prompted the German's comeback given Ferrari had asked Schumacher to stand in for the injured Felipe Massa last season.
"It was me that put the idea of returning to F1 in his head," said the Italian, whose dream of seeing the 41-year-old back in a Ferrari was thwarted by a neck injury and continued opposition to the team's plan for a third car.
Schumacher has also appeared on German television in an advert for a red Mercedes sportscar, irking Montezemolo slightly before the season's first race in Bahrain on March 14.
"If there was the possibility of a third car, with great respect for Mercedes, Michael would have been promoting a real red Ferrari not a red Mercedes," he said.
Montezemolo also reiterated that MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi, who last week tested an old Ferrari and set stunning times, would be welcome at the team if a third car was possible in 2011.
The president also did not rule out Rossi racing in one of their two cars currently occupied by Fernando Alonso and Massa.
"Valentino is a potential champion in Formula One," he said. (Reporting by Mark Meadows; Editing by Sonia Oxley; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

* guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's no doubt Ferrari has the best pedigree in F1, but Mercedes has a way better pedigree in car racing overall! Not to mention the history behind Mercedes cars, when you build the first car and you're still one of the most succesful car companies today, your footprint is pretty big! Is Mercedes glamouros? I think so. It's not fire red in your eye, it's silver, smooth and shiny!
Montezemolo is protecting his team and he thought he had Schumacher for life, I can sympathize with that, but I still think he's not the smartest guy in the paddock!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 CL500
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoGuy View Post
There's no doubt Ferrari has the best pedigree in F1, but Mercedes has a way better pedigree in car racing overall! Not to mention the history behind Mercedes cars, when you build the first car and you're still one of the most succesful car companies today, your footprint is pretty big! Is Mercedes glamouros? I think so. It's not fire red in your eye, it's silver, smooth and shiny!
Montezemolo is protecting his team and he thought he had Schumacher for life, I can sympathize with that, but I still think he's not the smartest guy in the paddock!
Montezemolo is partially correct in saying that Mercedes are not a proper Formula One manufacturer. The Brawn car, which was originally developed with Honda money - and now purchased by Mercedes - might not have very much Mecedes engineering in it yet.....Future cars will of course be a diffferent story....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I subscribe to several German TV sat programs. According to Euro news, with backing of his party, Montezemolo might run for Italian President.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
I subscribe to several German TV sat programs. According to Euro news, with backing of his party, Montezemolo might run for Italian President.
Well, 62nd the charm.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Well, 62nd the charm.
Lets hope Luca's mouth doesn't continue to be faster than his brain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in