CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
F1 designers call for track changes

F1, Formula 1: TotalF1.com - All the F1 news, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

F1 designers call for track changes

Sunday, 03 January 2010 01:52

Two of Formula 1’s leading car designers believe radical changes to circuit layouts are needed to spice up the show.

Red Bull technical chief Adrian Newey and his Williams counterpart Sam Michael agree that the major rule changes instituted in 2009 yielded disappointing results, but feel circuit rather than chassis design is the key to improving the spectacle.

“Fundamentally, I think the circuits are probably the biggest influence,” Newey told Racecar Engineering magazine.

“Everybody keeps conveniently forgetting about that, as it is deemed to be easier to change the cars than change the circuits.”

Michael reckons the switch to slick tyres and lower aerodynamic downforce in ’09 had some positive effects, and says the disparity in the amount of overtaking at different circuits highlighted the nature of the problem.

“One thing that hasn’t really been addressed at all so far is circuit design,” he said.

“You’ve got to ask yourself, why do you go to a race such as Barcelona where no one overtakes, and then take exactly the same cars to Monza, Montreal or Hockenheim and you get lots of overtaking.

“Those cars are exactly the same aerodynamically, yet on one circuit they overtake a lot and on another circuit they don’t overtake at all.

“It’s because of the circuit layout – it’s because when they lay out circuits they don’t look closely enough at the combination of slow-speed corners onto straights followed by slow-speed corners.

“This is something that the FIA are dealing with now and having a really strong look at.

“If you look at somewhere like Abu Dhabi, which was a brand new circuit, there are some very good aspects to that circuit, but because there were some pretty fundamental mistakes there, they need to change them before next year.

“There’s no point being sensitive about it – ultimately there wasn’t good enough racing in Abu Dhabi, and Formula 1 has to look at itself and ask why.

“You can’t keep putting all of it on the car design all of the time.

“Of course the car design has some responsibility for it, but if you went to every circuit and you never saw any overtaking, then you could blame it all on the car design.

“But clearly that’s not the case, because there are places where cars do overtake.

“So clearly this needs a pretty thorough look at. It’s something the FIA have taken charge of now, so hopefully we’ll see some good come out of it.”

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh concurs that much more attention needs to be focused on circuit design.

“You only need to do simple statistical analysis and look at where the overtaking moves are,” he told F1 Racing.

“If, say, we race on 18 circuits with 350 corners, then 90 per cent of overtaking moves in a year would happen at just 10 corners.

“You also have to look at the preceding corner.

“The fact that overtaking is focused on such a small number of corners clearly demonstrates that it’s circuit-dependent.”

The FIA recently hosted a seminar to investigate how to increase overtaking in F1 – attended by the sport’s dominant circuit designer Hermann Tilke, seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher and veteran Penske and G-Force designer Nigel Bennett – but few major changes are expected to be implemented for the 2010 season.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is what I've been saying for a long time! Both Barcelona and Hungaroring should be replaced. Indy was simple but efficient, I hope Bernie looks at our posts and make a change! HAHAHAHA!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2006 C55
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you look at all the new circuit that are used, everyone of those were designed by Hermann Tilke. And they are all sad excuses for race tracks. No overtaking and poor veiwing areas.
Give me back all the old tracks,(I realize that some are gone forever) like Spa,Monza, Hockenheim(the old one). Silverstone, Paul Ricard, Zanvoort, Imola, Osterrichring, and there are some others. In the US, there are Road America and Laguna Seca and even Watkins Glen. Canada's circuit is excellent also.
There are those that say these tracks are to dangerous to race on but racing is a dangerous sport. I have personally seen where these tracks seperate out the racers from the posers/wannabe rich boys. When you watch a driver like Mika Hakkenen race toe to toe against Schumacherand the 2 of them are 1.5-2.5 seconds a lap faster than anyone else that is telling you something.
Bring back the old tracks and the car/driver ability differential will start to be so obviouos it will be comical. I have been following the sport since 1968 and never have I seen such boring race circuits as I do now.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Too bad we'll never again see F1 cars race on the old 17.5 mile Nürburgring with Nordschleife (Northern Loop), IMO the greatest purpose build racetrack on this Planet.
Nürburgring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used to be a frequent visitor to the Belgian Zolder and Dutch Zandvoort race circuits.
My buddy Herman lives right next to the latter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Bernie wants to bring in a traffic island for overtaking

Formula One's New Chicane? - Planet-F1 News from planet-f1.com

Well if it works.................sensational

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: