Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Raikkonen confirms WRC drive for 2010

The Official Formula 1 Website

04 Dec 2009
Raikkonen confirms WRC drive for 2010

Kimi Raikkonen has ruled himself out of a Formula One drive for next season following confirmation that he will compete for Citroen’s Red Bull-backed junior team in the 2010 World Rally Championship (WRC).

Raikkonen, whose Ferrari seat has been taken by Fernando Alonso for next year, has signed a one-year contract with Citroen and has not ruled out a Formula One return in the future - though only if it’s with a team with title-winning potential.

He made his WRC debut earlier this year on home soil in Rally Finland, and will now experience a full campaign co-driven by compatriot Kaj Lindstrom, who previously partnered multiple WRC champion Tommi Makinen.

“I always wanted to compete in rally, especially in the World Rally Championship at some point in my career," said Raikkonen. "Thanks to Red Bull, I have the opportunity to drive the best car of the series with the Citroen C4.

“This is a new but very exciting challenge. For the moment we have a one-year contract and we will see how it goes for the future. I am really looking forward to testing the car and taking the start of the first rally.”

Raikkonen will contest 12 of next year's 13 WRC rounds, missing only the New Zealand event, which the team are not taking part in.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well congrats to Kimi I guess. I was hoping he's drive for the Silver Arrows team...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2008 Mercedes-Benz CL 63 AMG, 1986 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think that was the plan all along- this way he gets to experience a new way of motorsport and still get paid in full by Ferrari for 2010. Had he gone to any other team, he would not have been paid by Ferrari. It could very well be the whole Kimi to McLaren thing was just a ploy to keep the public beliving he was still trying- hell, there is always next year and according to some sources he is going to be paid $52million by Ferrari for a year where he wont even drive for them !
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by malioil View Post
according to some sources he is going to be paid $52million by Ferrari for a year where he wont even drive for them !
Not that much, but a lot. And he would have got some of that even if he went to another team, just not as much.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: