Any bets on Mercedes F1 drivers next year? - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Schumacher comeback “More than a rumor” says Ecclestone Bernie Ecclestone has heated up the debate about Michael Schumacher making a comeback at the wheel of one of Ross Brawn’s Mercedes F1 cars next season with some enigmatic comments in the Times tonight. The 79 year old said it would be “magic”, if Schumacher returned and suggested that this was beginning to gather some momentum.

“I would personally doubt that he’s going to make a comeback but, having said that, it’s maybe getting a bit stronger than a rumor,” he said. Of the possible contenders for the seat, which may well include Robert Kubica when Renault disposes of its team, he said that choosing Schumacher would be a “no brainer”

“Well you’d have to pick Michael wouldn’t you,” he said. “There’s no discussion about that. It’s the obvious thing. Whether or not this is going to happen, I don’t know. If I was Michael I wouldn’t do it, but I’m sure he knows he could get the job done.”

The fact that this is still going on, with no denials from either Mercedes or Schumacher, indicates that they are looking at it from every angle.

Autoracing1.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
(GMM) The Michael Schumacher camp is still giving nothing away while refusing to quell rumors linking the 40-year-old with a 2010 return to formula one.

The seven time world champion's long time manager Willi Weber was scheduled to meet on Monday with Schumacher in Stuttgart, although he insisted the location has nothing to do with the proximity of the Mercedes/Daimler headquarters.

But afterwards, Weber said "I don't know yet" when asked by the Cologne publication Express for more information about Schumacher's plans for next year.

Intriguingly, however, Weber mentioned the looming festive season, on the same day that Mercedes' Norbert Haug also warned that the identity of Nico Rosberg's teammate might not be known until after Christmas.

"That is speculation and I don't want to participate in it," said Weber when pressed again about the Mercedes rumors.

"Let's wait, even though soon it is Christmas."
post #63 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
(GMM) Amid rumors Michael Schumacher is considering a sensational return to formula one, Nick Fry on Thursday threw another log on the fire.

The 40-year-old is linked with the vacant second cockpit at Mercedes GP, and the Brackley based team's chief executive refused to deny that Schumacher could become teammate to his German compatriot Nico Rosberg.

"I think whether it be Michael or another prior world champion, I think that just adds another very interesting element," he told the Reuters news agency from the Motor Sport Business Forum in Monaco.

When asked specifically about Schumacher, Fry said only that the team is "discussing things with a number of different drivers".

The Briton insisted, however, that a veteran like Schumacher - who turns 41 next month - could be competitive alongside 24-year-old Rosberg.

"Can a 40 or 41-year-old compete against someone who is 24 years old? In other sports people have proven that they are very capable even at that age," said Fry.

"I think that would add another fascinating aspect and I think it is irrelevant whether it is Michael or Jacques (Villeneuve)."

Nick Heidfeld is also linked with the seat and Fry confirmed that Rosberg's teammate will ideally also be an experienced driver.
post #64 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
(GMM) Mercedes is reportedly proposing to pay Michael Schumacher 7 million euros if he agrees to return to F1 as Nico Rosberg's teammate in 2010. Bild newspaper said the offer, which is the same one offered to Jenson Button prior to the new world champion's switch to McLaren, will be made by the German marque's competition boss Norbert Haug. Schumacher, 40, made much more money at Ferrari until 2006, and still makes 5m a year as an advisor to the Italian team, but Bild said Mercedes cannot afford to offer the German any more.

Niki Lauda told the newspaper he is certain "money will not play a role" in Schumacher's decision about whether to re-launch his 16-year F1 career.

Mercedes team chief executive Nick Fry said at the Motor Sport Business Forum in Monaco on Thursday that an announcement about Rosberg's teammate is not likely before Christmas. "We might say something before Christmas, but it's more likely to be the beginning of January," he is quoted as saying by the Times.
post #65 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
And the anticipation grows.......
post #66 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Schumacher return looking increasingly likely

BBC - BBC Sport: Andrew Benson: Schumacher return looking increasingly likely

Schumacher return looking increasingly likely

Post categories: Formula 1

Andrew Benson | 13:14 UK time, Friday, 11 December 2009

Michael Schumacher's possible return to action with Mercedes in 2010 has been the hot topic in Formula 1 circles since BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan first put meat on the bones of the vague rumours last month - and it is now looking increasingly likely to happen.

Bosses at the Mercedes team have all scrupulously avoided dampening down the speculation in the last couple of weeks, with the latest remarks coming from chief executive Nick Fry, who said a comeback by the seven-time champion would be "very interesting".

And this morning, the German tabloid Bild reported that Mercedes had offered Schumacher a salary of seven million euros (£6.3m).

On top of that, my information is increasingly that Schumacher's return as Nico Rosberg's team-mate is looking like a done deal.

Jordan says he thinks it will now definitely happen - and he believes it is only subject to a medical examination by leading F1 physician Dr Johannes Piel on the neck injury that stopped him returning as a replacement for Felipe Massa last summer.

Other sources are pointing in the same direction.

One figure who until recently had a senior role at Ferrari, who would have to release Schumacher from his consultancy contract, is saying it is definitely going to happen.

And I received cast-iron information from a reliable source this morning about the plans of those potentially affected by Schumacher's decision that, shall we say, points very strongly to him driving for Mercedes in 2010. (If that sounds vague, I'm sorry, but I was told in confidence and cannot reveal any more).

Armed with this mounting evidence, I phoned Schumacher's media spokeswoman Sabine Kehm to ask her what was going on with her client.

She is normally very forthcoming - it was Kehm who gave me the information with which BBC Sport broke the story back in July that Schumacher would consider a return as a stand-in for Massa.

At the time of Jordan's remarks she said a return was "highly unlikely", but that she "would never say never". But this time, although as friendly as ever, she was unusually reticent.

"I haven't got any more to say," she said. "I don't want to tell you anything, for whatever reason. I don't want to go into it any more."

Is that because you have nothing to say, I asked, or because you can't say anything?

"Because I can't."

I realise that none of this is definitive evidence that Schumacher will be back in F1 in 2010. But I have to admit that, after being initially sceptical about it, I'm now increasingly convinced that it could well come true.

Michael Schumacher celebrates on the podium at Felipe Massa's karting challenge last monthSchumacher continues to go karting when he can - is it in preparation for an F1 return?

If Schumacher does come back, it raises a whole load of interesting questions. The first of those is probably why, when he will be 41 in January and has absolutely nothing to prove, would he want to?

Until Schumacher himself speaks, there is no definitive answer to that. But it is pretty obvious that the competition bug still bites him hard - he drives karts as often as he can, and won Massa's karting challenge in Brazil last month.

It would also be a neat book-end to his F1 career - Mercedes, for whom he was driving in sportscars at the time, paid for him to make his F1 debut with Jordan in 1991, but he has never driven in a grand prix for them. He would also be continuing his relationship with Mercedes GP boss Ross Brawn, who has masterminded all his seven titles, two at Benetton and five at Ferrari.

There is, though, also the issue of whether his neck has fully healed - but Kehm has already said that there is no reason to believe it won't have done by the end of the year.

Schumacher, Kehm and Brawn have all said that he is not interested in a new career. But that is not what this would be about, should it happen. At 41, any comeback by Schumacher is necessarily going to be short, but then this one only has to be.

Mercedes have already signed Rosberg for 2010 but, promising though the German is, he is not considered to be of the same calibre as Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, who will be leading the challenges of McLaren and Ferrari, nor of Jenson Button, Hamilton's new team-mate, or Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull.

And although Nick Heidfeld, widely believed to be Mercedes's second choice as Rosberg's team-mate, is a consistent, reliable performer, he isn't either.

Vettel is Mercedes's main target - but they cannot have him for 2010 as he has a contract with Red Bull. That deal also lasts through 2011, but it is believed Mercedes will make strenuous efforts to prise the 22-year-old out of that deal during next year with a view to having him lead their team in 2011.

With that in mind, Mercedes need a stop-gap for 2010. And while Heidfeld would certainly be a decent one of those, he is not going to have the same impact, on and off the track, as Schumacher. After all, given the choice, who would you go for?
post #67 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
If anyone recalls, Mercedes / Brawn were ready to offer Button £12M before his switch to MacLaren.
Schumacher's Ferrari advisory contract pays 5 Mio. Euro per year, and would likely continue for several years.
Hypothetically speaking, for Schumacher to race for Mercedes on a one year Euro 7 mio deal makes no financial sense.

If Mercedes would up the ante closer to the last Button offer, and sweeten it with a multi year advisory deal to follow........
post #68 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I heard the deal is even less than that quoted above, more like $3.5mm euros. It doesn't make any financial sense, but I don't think this is a financial move for Schumi. God knows, I hope he tucked away a little bit of the hundreds of millions of euros he's earned over the years.

I think this is more about ego, and having a role at Mercedes in the future. At least he's channelling his testosterone into sports achievement instead of mistresses. I think.
post #69 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Schumacher return?

I am getting the German TV Deutsche Welle news.
They had a long report on it, incl a reporter yesterday asking MS on the families Kerpen go cart track, whether he'll be back in F1.
He didn't answer, just smiled.

Michael Schumacher is close to making a sensational return to Formula One after agreeing a one-year contract with Mercedes, according to reports in Germany.

Bild and Focus magazine reported on Saturday that the seven-times world champion will compete for the new Mercedes team - formerly Brawn - next season if he passes a mandatory medical.

Schumacher had planned to return to F1 with Ferrari in the summer after Felipe Massa was sidelined following a crash, but due to neck injuries suffered in a motorcycle crash, his return was put on hold.

The magazine also said that Mercedes wanted Schumacher to act as a team ambassador on a long-term basis, though that would involve him cutting ties with Ferrari who he still advises.

Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm refused to comment on whether the winner of 91 grands prix would compete for one final year when questioned by Deutsche Press Agency.

A source close to Schumacher's management team told Eurosport that reports were "more than just rumours."
Eurosport
post #70 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
(GMM) Michael Schumacher, his spokeswoman and his doctor on Sunday refused to comment on intense speculation the 40-year-old is set to return to the formula one grid in 2010.

German reports including in Bild and Express newspapers and the news magazine Focus say the seven time world champion has now essentially agreed a one-year deal to drive alongside Nico Rosberg at Mercedes next season.

But his spokeswoman Sabine Kehm is currently refusing to comment, as is Johannes Peil, Schumacher's doctor who earlier this year called off the temporary Ferrari return due to a lingering neck injury.

Peil told Bild am Sonntag: "At the moment there's no comment about that from me."

Schumacher, meanwhile - who would be 41 when he lines up on the Bahrain grid next March - participated in a kart race in his hometown Kerpen this weekend.

He said: "I'm sorry, I don't want to say anything. I'm here for the karts and just want to have fun."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in