Haug confirms Kovalainen is toast - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: W215-CL500, W208-CLK320, W140-300SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lewis Hamilton has already beaten ALL of those guys in the lower echelons of karting and open-wheel racing in equal equipment on his rise to the top of F1.

Furthermore those guys were nurtured and groomed as well and they all were in Formula 1 before him and he still beat them.

If he were not deserving of the drive with a great team, he would not have gotten the opportunity.

He was, He did and He IS the youngest WDC in history!

Macca had the slowest car by 3 seconds on the grid at the start of this season, but Lewis almost finished on the podium in the first race and has now won twice and as Norbert Haug pointed out, he has been proven as the best point scorer since the 1/2 way mark of this season.

If Alonso were really 'the best out there', one would think after 2 seasons he would have had more wins upon his return to Renault and been able to help develop the 'dog of a car' into something better with a team he won 2 WDCs with.

The facts say otherwise.

"One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits - You Feel No Pain"
Bob Marley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
^ Are you Lewis's dad?

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Teutone for posting that clip. I have been a Formula 1 fan since 1976. I surely do not profess to know all but I have witnessed a lot during this time.
I surely do not want to get into a Hamilton vs. ???? thing but Hamilton has pretty much been given the best car during his Rookie and Championship year.
Is Hamilton fast? The obvious answer is a resounding yes. Is he faster than Massa, Kimi, Alonso, Sutil or.... ? The answer is maybe, maybe not. The Ferrari for the last couple years has simply been a handful on the track. That can be witnessed by what has taken place this year with Massa out injured. 2 drivers that have been around F1 for years have not just struggled with the car they have been a great measuring device on how good Kimi and Massa are.
Hamilton walked into a potential championship winning car from the beginning. Could he have obtained the same results in a different car to include Ferrari. There is no way to tell but to simply say Hamilton is no Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Lauda, Mansell etc... If the circumstances are great for Hamilton then he can be pretty much unstoppable. If there is a glich here or there he's a mid-pack runner.
Schumacher damn near won the French GP in the Bennetton driving only in 3rd or 4th gear as I recall.
Teutone posted that clip on Schumacher and it pretty much tells the story.
Mansell was one of those drivers that no matter what the issue was with the car he would some how drive around the problem.
I think that it is way too early in Hamilton's career to say there is no one like him. That may be true but the test of time and his potential greatness will be acknowledge when he starts approaching 3 or 4 world driving championships let alone 7.
Forza!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The 94 Spanish GP and being able to use only fifth gear, incl stops in the boxes was one of Schumachers greatest drives.

Schumacher’s pole position was only his second – having scored his first at Monaco last time out. Alongside him Hill’s Williams was over half a second slower and just 0.061s quicker than Mika Hakkinen’s McLaren.Schumacher’s team mate JJ Lehto was fourth and Coulthard ninth.

The race was largely uneventful. Schumacher cruised away in the lead at the start with Hill a comfortable second. Coulthard picked up three places at the start but struggled with electrical problems that caused a stall at his first stop and led to his retirement on lap 32.

Schumacher’s first stop also led to drama. He couldn’t quite get back onto the race pace immediately afterwards and it transpired that he was having gearbox trouble. The car became stuck in fifth, yet despite a few slow laps he soon figured out how to drive the car quickly and lap comfortably within two seconds of his previous pace.

He could not hold off Hill at that speed, though, who sailed by on lap 46. Hakkinen was set to pass him as well until the McLaren’s Peugeot engine let go. This let a delighted Mark Blundell into third place in his Tyrrell-Yamaha.

Jean Alesi’s Ferrari was fourth, Pierluigi Martini and excellent fifth in his Minardi, and Eddie Irvine sixth for Jordan.

The race was a landmark in two ways. It gave Williams their first win since the death of Senna and a vital morale boost that would drive them on to challenge for both 1994 titles and ultimately win the constructors.

It also began the definition of the man who would success Senna as the next of the sport’s great. From then on, whnever anyone spoke of the great races of Michael Schumacher, they would speak of the 1994 Spanish Grand Prix.

Schumacher still finished second.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Great clips! Thanks!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
They always get fast at the end of their contracts. Dead cat bounce?

Abu Dhabi: Kovalainen on top in practice 2 Heikki Kovalainen has once again set the fastest lap in the second practice session at the new Abu Dhabi track. The McLaren KERS system is highly advantageous in the middle sector of the lap. The times are as follows.

Driver Time
1 Kovalainen 1.41.307
2 Hamilton 1.41.504
3 Button 1.41.541
4 Vettel 1.41.591
5 Kobayashi 1.41.636
6 Buemi 1.41.683
7 Webber 1.41.684
8 Barrichello 1.41.831
9 Rosberg 1.41.931
10 Raikkonen 1.41.987
11 Sutil 1.42.180
12 Nakajima 1.42.245
13 Heidfeld 1.42.278
14 Trulli 1.42.409
15 Liuzzi 1.42.530
16 Alonso 1.42.782
17 Fisichella 1.42.932
18 Grosjean 1.43.021
19 Alguersuari 1.43.022
20 Kubica 1.43.708
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2009
I rate Rosberg, Kubica, and even Sutil as high as Hamilton.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2012 E63 Bi-Turbo w/ Renntech ECU Upgrade (and a 2011 ML350 BlueTec) 2005 E55 SOLD :(
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wonderful clips...that 94 race was one of the first times I had seen Schumacher and it showed me how versatile he is...been a huge fan ever since. I have his autograph on a Keith Murray artist's proof lithograph that is titled "Fly Schumi, Fly" and that's certainly what he was best at.

Following Schumacher allowed me to be at Ruben's first win at the Hockenheimring where Schumi crashed at the first corner and he came from 18th to win, talk about an amazing race to see first hand.

Sure Hamilton has talent, but when he talked all that trash about being fit and then turned down a challenge from Jenson to race him in a marathon I thought, OK, there is probably some fluff in this guy.

Knowing how incredibly hard it is to compete at this level, I think ANYONE who has an F1 license is a stud so I don't think poorly of anyone at the end of the day...I just dream about being them when I flog my E55 around the track and smile, knowing that life is richer because of this sport of racing.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:50 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: W215-CL500, W208-CLK320, W140-300SE
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Jenson Button is reported to be signing with Macca for 3 yrs.

Jenson Button agrees to join McLaren on three-year, £6m-a-year deal | Sport | The Guardian

"One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits - You Feel No Pain"
Bob Marley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in