Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Renault announce change to driver line-up

Renault announce change to driver line-up

18/08/09 10:06

F1-Live.com

As expected, Grosjean takes over the second car
at Renault
The Renault F1 Team announced today that Nelson Piquet has been released from his obligations to the team with immediate effect. His departure follows a mutual agreement that this course of action is in the best interests of both parties.

Swiss-Frenchman Romain Grosjean has been appointed as the second driver and will race alongside Fernando Alonso at this weekend's European Grand Prix in Valencia and for the remainder of the 2009 season.

This season Grosjean has been the team's third driver and has attended all races, which has allowed him to gain experience and become fully integrated with the team.

The 23-year-old has been supported by Renault since he was 18 years old and became part of Renault's Driver Development programme (RDD) in 2006 after winning the French Formula Renault title. In 2007 he was Formula 3 Euro Series champion and in 2008 he won the GP2 Asia Series.

This year, Romain Grosjean has been competing in the GP2 Series with Barwa Addax where he has demonstrated his talents with two victories.

"We are happy to give Romain the chance to start racing with the team," said Managing Director Flavio Briatore.
"He is an impressive young talent and we expect him to show his skills driving alongside Fernando as we take an aggressive approach to the second half of the season. "We would also like to thank Nelson for his contribution during the time he has been with us and wish him all the best for the future," he added.

Romain Grosjean commented: "I am very proud that the Renault F1 Team has given me the chance to become a race driver. I'm looking forward to driving the R29 and helping the team get the best results possible. It's also an honour to be Fernando's teammate and to make my Formula One debut alongside a double world champion is especially motivating."

Brazilian Lucas Di Grassi will assume third driver duties in Valencia whilst continuing with his GP2 series campaign.

D.B. © CAPSIS International
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They better start grooming a few drivers...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
They better start grooming a few drivers...
Yeah, something Ferrari seems to have neglected.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And on that subject:

Ferrari to confirm Alonso? UPDATE #12 (GMM) The only missing element to the Santander/Ferrari sponsorship deal beginning in 2010 is an official press announcement.

It is an open secret in the F1 paddock that the Spanish bank will switch from McLaren at the end of the year, presumably to team up with Fernando Alonso at Ferrari.

Fernando Alonso
Asked about the rumors, Santander's executive vice president for communications and corporate marketing Juan Manuel Cendoya told AS newspaper: "The world's best bank, the world's best team, the world's best driver -- without doubt that is a dream combination for any sponsor."

However, it has been whispered in recent days that McLaren is trying everything to retain Santander; including - according to El Mundo newspaper - by asking the bank if wooing Alonso back to the Mercedes powered team would change its mind.

The German newspaper TZ said contact has been made by officials of the Woking based team to Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad.

"At no time have I spoken with Fernando Alonso about contracts," Mercedes' Norbert Haug said in a teleconference for German media this week.

"We talk from time to time and I send him a SMS if he drives a good race. But never (do we talk) about contracts," he insisted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in