Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
F1: Canadian GP Heading For June 2010 Return

F1: Canadian GP Heading For June 2010 Return
Written by: SPEED Staff / GMM
08/14/2009
GMM Newswire

The mayor of Montreal has finally penciled some dates onto rising speculation that the Canadian Grand Prix is set to return to the Formula One calendar. (Photo: LAT Photographic) » More Photos

The mayor of Montreal has finally penciled some dates onto rising speculation that the Canadian Grand Prix is set to return to the Formula One calendar.

Gerald Tremblay said in an Associated Press report that it is looking "very good" that Circuit Gilles Villeneuve would host a race next June.

He also said he is confident an official announcement will be made prior to the publication of F1's first 2010 race calendar in September.

"There are still certain commitments which have been made that have to be refined," said Tremblay. "Right now, we're trying to finalize this agreement in the best interests of Montreal."

Also confident of a new deal is Francois Dumontier, the chief organizer of the Montreal race in recent years.

"I would say that I'm
pretty optimistic about it. I think there are a lot of things to do yet, but it's okay to be optimistic about it, yes," he told the Montreal Gazette.

Dumontier suggested that an official announcement could be coming within two weeks, as he urged those involved to delay the news until after Montreal has hosted its NASCAR round at the end of August.

"I'd prefer that they wait a little bit before they announce anything because it's (less than) three weeks until our NASCAR race," he said. "I'd like all the attention to be on our event."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
I hope so, that's a good track. Too bad it gets caught up in the Bernie and Max show.
I vote for Ari Vatanen.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:00 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great news indeed. I'm putting in my reservation at Queue de Cheval as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
"I'd prefer that they wait a little bit before they announce anything because it's (less than) three weeks until our NASCAR race," he said. "I'd like all the attention to be on our event."
Idiot doesn't see that it's not a zero sum game. I don't know a lot of NASCAR fans that would say "gee, them funny looking cars might come next summer let's skip the tin tops this year."

And vice versa. Any publicity is good publicity.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
Great news indeed. I'm putting in my reservation at Queue de Cheval as we speak.

Idiot doesn't see that it's not a zero sum game. I don't know a lot of NASCAR fans that would say "gee, them funny looking cars might come next summer let's skip the tin tops this year."

And vice versa. Any publicity is good publicity.
But they are having sponsor problems up there with NASCAR and if attendance doesn't hit high numbers sponsors might decide A or B, and make that decision on race weekend when all the folks that sign stuff are in house.

You remember how all that stuff was on race weekends where the deals took a chunk of the fun time. The three years I dealt with Valvoline that part drove me nuts and I was not even remotely involved with it.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Good point.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 AM

Announcement today at 3.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 02:37 PM

The Canadian Grand Prix's return to the Formula 1 calendar in 2010 is now official, after the government stepped in to help secure a five-year deal for the race.

Following months of uncertainty about the fate of the event, which was dropped for this season after a deal could not be reached with Bernie Ecclestone, the Montreal race's return was confirmed at a press conference in the Canadian city on Friday afternoon.

The deal to secure the race's place on the calendar has been helped by the governments of Canada and Quebec, Montreal and Tourisme Montreal - who together have helped put together an £8.5 million annual investment plan for the next five years.

In return for the money, Montreal and its partners will receive 30 per cent of the profits from ticket sales for the grand prix - which will take place on June 13 next year.

Montreal's mayor Gerald Tremblay was delighted at the news - which will see F1 return to the North American continent next year after being absent for the first time in world championship history this season.

"The return of the Formula 1 to Montreal attests to our sustained efforts and determination," he explained.

"This win-win deal falls in line with the terms we set and the taxpayer's ability to pay and will create stability for the next five years.

"I am very pleased that our metropolis is bringing back this crucial stage in the Formula 1 series for fans from around the world and an outstanding opportunity in terms of the event's international reach."

Local government officials were adamant that their investment in the event made complete sense - because of the huge financial boost that the grand prix brings to Montreal.

Quebec minister of finance and minister responsible for the Montreal region, Raymond Bachand said: "For Quebec, this event by itself results in annual tax revenues of more than $10 million (£5.5 million), for a $4 million (£2.2 million) investment, minus revenues from ticket sales.

"All three levels of government have worked together tirelessly over the past few months to bring the grand prix back to Montreal, while acting in a financially responsible manner. With this agreement in hand, I am delighted that our efforts have finally succeeded."

This article originally appeared in Autosport.com
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Great News.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 05:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Well, it takes government intervention to secure a F1 date. Sounds like Canada is getting a better financial deal than was previously available.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Initially Bernie wanted 175 million for the Montreal deal. This deal now will bring him ~75 million.
That is an amount that Montreal can work with, ....and pull off a great event.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in