Michael Schumacher returns to Formula One with Ferrari - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You make some good points white500se. Businesses need to look forward to grow, not look backwards and trot out the same old ideas and tactics. I agree with you on that point, as well on the fact that the racing has been more interesting in the past couple of years since Schumi retired.

However, the return of Schumi is a huge, huge story and will draw viewers at least temporarily. F-1 needs a positive PR story after Honda and BMW pulled out (and maybe others to announce.)

I think this will go about as well as Michael Jordan's return, and will prove that perhaps he is not a god. But they will get a bump in the ratings for the rest of the season, which is all they can hope for at this point. But to your point, new blood won't be brought into the sport by dusting off an icon that younger or new viewers can't relate to. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: '15 C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Edition in Fire Opal
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white500se View Post
Roll your eyes all you want but I'm right.
I don't agree. You have merely expressed an opinion, doesn't meant that by definition you are right.

Statements that include phrases like 'Who cares about xyx......' rarely come across as balanced discussion. Yours is no exception IMHO.

Schumi just by his F1 record, is the best F1 driver of all time (that doesn't mean I his biggest fan - I'm not). It is surely interesting to see if he still has what it takes to compete?

I applaude the progress made by Brawn and Red Bull and especially admire the turn around that McLaren seem to have made. Starting the season with a duff aero package, that they now seem to found the right solution without testing is pretty special and in my view illustrates their design engineering strength.

As for Brawn's budget, for sure it's limited this year and that has shown up in their lack of ability to develop the car (which probably had more money spent on it's pre-season development than any F1 car in history). Brawn and his team need to demonstrate their talent and ingenuity if they are to pull of a championship or two this year. They are looking a bit slow to respond at the moment.

This year 2009 is the closest and most competative season for years. I think it will very cool to see if Michael can hack it. I would at the same time like to see Kimi pull his finger out and show what he is made of (assuming he still has something to show that is). I'd actually like to see Kimi comprehensively out drive Schumi, but I'll actually be surprised if that happens. Let's see.
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeJay View Post
I don't agree. You have merely expressed an opinion, doesn't meant that by definition you are right.

Statements that include phrases like 'Who cares about xyx......' rarely come across as balanced discussion. Yours is no exception IMHO.

Schumi just by his F1 record, is the best F1 driver of all time (that doesn't mean I his biggest fan - I'm not). It is surely interesting to see if he still has what it takes to compete?

I applaude the progress made by Brawn and Red Bull and especially admire the turn around that McLaren seem to have made. Starting the season with a duff aero package, that they now seem to found the right solution without testing is pretty special and in my view illustrates their design engineering strength.

As for Brawn's budget, for sure it's limited this year and that has shown up in their lack of ability to develop the car (which probably had more money spent on it's pre-season development than any F1 car in history). Brawn and his team need to demonstrate their talent and ingenuity if they are to pull of a championship or two this year. They are looking a bit slow to respond at the moment.

This year 2009 is the closest and most competative season for years. I think it will very cool to see if Michael can hack it. I would at the same time like to see Kimi pull his finger out and show what he is made of (assuming he still has something to show that is). I'd actually like to see Kimi comprehensively out drive Schumi, but I'll actually be surprised if that happens. Let's see.

I didn't say 'who cares' I said I don't care but yes, it was a bit over the top, even if no one has actually refuted my argument . I have never cared what Ferrari does and I won't start now. Not to say I don't still like Kimi, or Massa for that matter. To me the whole Schumi thing is a crass PR move. As a previous poster mentioned, it might make sense in the short term, but I see it as a distraction from what you have rightly pointed out- the 2009 season is one of the best in years, even if the on track excitment hasn't improved any.

I'd be ok with a Schumi comeback if it was done right, announced in the off season with proper testing and all. Not mid season when Ferrari has two test drivers who could competently fill Massa's seat.

Hopefully i will be wrong and it won't be all that is talked about, that once the newness has worn off fans can go back to enjoying the new guard as it were. I share your sentiments about McLaren. I had writen them off this year. To see Hamilton win was a shock. Now I wish the break wasn't so long so we can see if it was just a fluke or if they are back for real.

BTW, why do you (and others) assume Kimi is being a slacker this year? I figured it was just the car but is there evidence it's not? Like i said I don't follow Ferrari....

John
'80 500SE Euro '5.0 AMG'- 5.0 AMG engine, Gleason rear diff (still trying to find the ratio) and full aero kit. Stock interior. BBS RS133 8x16 3 piece wheels with Michelin XGT Z4 245/45-16 tires.

'78 450SLC milan brown metallic/bamboo leather
'80 300SD
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: '15 C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Edition in Fire Opal
Quote:
BTW, why do you (and others) assume Kimi is being a slacker this year? I figured it was just the car but is there evidence it's not? Like i said I don't follow Ferrari....
If Kimi was the driver he can be, he would be trouncing Massa which he consistently is not doing and didn't last year either. In 2007 he did a Villeneuve, ie. got to sit in a pre-developed championship winning car. He has real pace, at times quicker than anyone, but it's hard to know if he really has the committment or ability required to work with the team to develop a winning car.

Back on topic, you mentioned Ferrari's test drivers, neither Luca Badoer or Marc Gene are as quick as Schumi. As for a new driver, it would be great to see a rising new talent get the Ferrari seat for a few races, but no more interesting (to me) than seeing if Schumacher is still as quick as he thinks he is. And PR stunt, are you serious? Of course it's a PR jobby. F1 is all about PR isn't it?
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Schummi IS on the Ferrari payroll, PR move? Happy coincidence? Whatever.
Ross Brawn runs a different, successful, team. Ferrari management seems to be back in it's usual Chinese fire drill mode.
If you believe Dave Despain, he said Kimi only wanted one championship and wants to do other things, so doesn't appear to be motivated, even with a contract through 2010.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Terminator's return will spice up F1

Terminator's return will spice up F1 - Rolling Start - NZ Herald Blog

Motorsport enthusiast and writer Eric Thompson looks at the world of car racing - from Formula 1 to V8 Supercars and beyond

Terminator's return will spice up F1
0 comments
10:12AM Tuesday August 4, 2009

First up, I would like to send my commiserations out to Felipe Massa and hope he recovers enough to get back to racing F1.

His unfortunate situation of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and attacked by a rogue piece of Rubens Barrichello's car has though, opened the door for the return of the F1 terminator.

I never took to Michael Schumacher as either a person or a driver, because watching a machine, in a machine, was a little tedious. But only he, and he alone, could have taken that dog of a Ferrari (which should have been put down) and turn it into a championship winning car.

And for that feat alone he should be admired. Also, I have a lot begrudging respect for someone who has the emotionally detached ability to deliberately punt another driver off the racetrack in order to win. And he got away with it.

Is Schumacher the greatest driver so far in 60-odd years of F1? Who knows. From my point of view you can't compare Fangio, Hawthorn and Clarke etc with today's drivers - it's pointless. The Schumachers and Sennas of the modern era could no better drive a 1960's car than Fangio etc could drive the video cars of today.

Who I admire the most is definitely Juan Manuel Fangio, the five-time world champion who only Schumacher has more titles than.

For those who are wringing their hands saying Schumacher's return to the Prancing Horse is a media stunt and he's not fit enough - who cares. Fangio won his last title at 46, Nigel Mansell won his title at 39 and Alain Prost won his last title at 38. Schumacher is only 40 and has been actively testing F1 cars and racing motorcycles. If Fangio could muscle an ill handling car (by today's standards) around the bastard grandfather of all tracks, the Nurburgring, in 1957, Schumacher isn't going to have any problem jumping back into a paper dart that's akin to driving a video game.

In what is regarded as one of finest F1 races of all time, after a botched pit stop, Fangio grabbed his Maserati by the scruff of the neck and hurled it around the daunting German track. He had lost a minute to the Ferraris of Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins and after comprehensively destroying the lap record, caught and past the two Englishmen to win.

Schumacher and Fangio have one big thing in common, they both wanted to win at all costs and in my mind that makes you a great driver. Neither wanted to be liked or loved by the media or fans, they just wanted the best car.

When Schumacher left Ferrari Raikkonen won in 2007 and Massa finished second one point back from Hamilton last year, so the car is still no slouch. If I was some of these youngsters who have spent more time in a simulator than at coal face banging wheels and side pods, I'd be nervously looking over my shoulder wondering which side of me Schumacher's going to be thrusting his red nose cone.

As for Button, he'd better up his game as Hamilton has always wanted to know how he'd compare to Schumacher, also, Alonso will rise to the challenge of having Schumie back in the game and finally, Raikkonen might wake up and start racing now the man he replaced at Ferrari is back as his teammate.

I can't wait - it's going to be bloody marvellous. I'm going to put my marker out and say Schumacher will win a race this year - talk about putting the cat among the pigeons.

Eric Thompson

Pictured above: Michael Schumacher's return to Formula One should lift the performance of the other drivers. (AP)
Attached Images

post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah I see holes, a bunch of them. This whole patronizing crap about me not being a fan of sport because I'd rather see someone new race is BS and the exact reason I think it's bad for F1. The sport was better the last 3 years w/o Schumi. I'd rather be talking about what Brawn (if anything given the testing ban and their budget) could do to get back to the top. But that's not what the rest of year will be about now. If Schumi returns to top form and proves to be anything more than a PR stunt that's great for him. But it does nothing to help F1 grow. Isn't wanting F1 to be a great racing series what being a fan is all about?
The key to many long time F1 fans is that this is an opportunity to tie two eras of F1 together, to see if the best of the previous generation can take it to the best of the new generation. He might find that he cannot, or that Ferrari is not up to speed this year, or that the car is and Kimi and Massa have not been. Those variables get looked at.

And THAT is what F1 is about. Seeing the best and seeing the limits. Can 40 beat 20? How much will experience trump technology?

Fan base has been dropping this year. TV audiences are down. THIS helps F1 regain its footing and pushes the sport forward just like watching Mario ripping around Indy prior to the F1 race in the JPS tied generations together and put Mario in perspective with Mika and Schumi.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd be ok with a Schumi comeback if it was done right, announced in the off season with proper testing and all. Not mid season when Ferrari has two test drivers who could competently fill Massa's seat.
The reason the test drivers were NOT chosen was fully explained. Ferrari did not want to send Massa a message that a young driver with a promising future had just occupied his seat while he was recuperating. They intentionally picked [and explained] that Schumi was picked so as NOT to be a threat to Massa's future at Ferrari should he be able to come back to work. Schumi was picked as a temp driver only, not someone who needed to make a name for themselves, as any test driver would surely try to do.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Ticket sale boost for Spa with Schumacher return

Ticket sale boost for Spa with Schumacher return

04/08/09 13:57

F1-Live.com

Schumacher a boost for the Belgian organisers
Organisers of Michael Schumacher's favourite race, the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa Francorchamps, are reaping the benefits of the champion's Formula One comeback.

After his return at the wheel of a Ferrari at Valencia later this month, the circus will move on one week later to Spa, where Schumacher made his F1 debut in 1991, recorded his first win a year later, and subsequently won six more times at the famous circuit.

According to the Belga news agency, organisers of the 2009 race on August 30 have already sold 35,000 tickets, following a sharp spike in the wake of the Schumacher announcement last Wednesday.

Quoting a spokesperson, Belga said that in the immediate period after the Wednesday announcement, "a ticket per minute" were sold.

Organisers are hoping for a race-day crowd of 70,000.
Last year's Sunday crowd was just over 50,000.

Over in Valencia meanwhile, ticket sales had been slow with just 30 percent sold two weeks ago and with Renault and Fernando Alonso’s participation uncertain ahead of the world motor sport council hearing on August 17th, Schumacher’s return will provide a timely boost for the circuit organisers.

E.A. © CAPSIS International
Source: GMM
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
The reason the test drivers were NOT chosen was fully explained. Ferrari did not want to send Massa a message that a young driver with a promising future had just occupied his seat while he was recuperating. They intentionally picked [and explained] that Schumi was picked so as NOT to be a threat to Massa's future at Ferrari should he be able to come back to work. Schumi was picked as a temp driver only, not someone who needed to make a name for themselves, as any test driver would surely try to do.
And yet, here we are with F1 thriving on sales from a 'Schumi era' again. What will they do next year when he retires again? Let the kids drive with stipulations that they won't be taking a seat in the car next year. It's not like they couldn't hook on eleswhere if they prove to be talented. Perhaps that is what Ferrari is really afraid of.

John
'80 500SE Euro '5.0 AMG'- 5.0 AMG engine, Gleason rear diff (still trying to find the ratio) and full aero kit. Stock interior. BBS RS133 8x16 3 piece wheels with Michelin XGT Z4 245/45-16 tires.

'78 450SLC milan brown metallic/bamboo leather
'80 300SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in