Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ferrari's Felipe Massa Narrowly Escapes Death

3K views 59 replies 13 participants last post by  Teutone 
#1 ·
This was freaky. During this morning's Formula 1 Hungarian GP qualifying, Rubens Barrichello lost a spring from the rear of his car about the size of a spray paint can, but obviously heavy stuff. Seconds later, and without Barrichello in view, Massa was on a hot lap when the same spring was still bouncing down the track. In a freak accident, the spring hit him in the helmet at what must have been over 150mph, stunning him instantly. He was barely conscious enough to lock up the brakes before the fast turn 2 left hander, and went straight off into the tire barrier at high speed.

He was attended to immediately, and air lifted to a hospital where they performed emergency surgery on his fractured skull. He remains on a respirator in an induced coma, so the story says, in serious but stable condition.

Reports at the track were that Massa was conscious at the scene, and was sedated as he was apparently very agitated. Brazilian drivers are, erm, intense on-track at the best of times, I can't imagine how he would have been having been knocked silly and suffering a broken head.

This follows the death of a GP2 driver last week, who was hit in the head by a severed wheel assembly due to a crash ahead of him.

Massa has surgery after freak Hungary crash - CNN.com

See less See more
#42 ·
Schumacher has applied for a new super license (required in F1), and is undergoing medical testing / evaluation.
I am very glad to see him back in the Ferrari cockpit to fill in / finish the season for Massa, and hope he'll do well.
The complete ban on F1 testing makes little sense in securing the future of the series, by either grooming / evaluatig new talent, or bring a replacement up to speed.
Schumacher's return should light a fire under Raikkonnen's butt.
Up to date info can be found in the Motor Sport Forum.
Please visit.
Cheers

#50 ·
Felipe Massa: I hope I’ll be back on track soon

03 Aug 2009
Felipe Massa: I hope I’ll be back on track soon
The Official Formula 1 Website

Felipe Massa (BRA) Ferrari. Formula One World Championship, Rd 5, Spanish Grand Prix, Practice Day, Barcelona, Spain, Friday, 8 May 2009 The Ferrari F2009 of Felipe Massa (BRA) Ferrari after his heavy qualifying crash. Formula One World Championship, Rd 10, Hungarian Grand Prix, Qualifying Day, Budapest, Hungary, Saturday, 25 July 2009 Felipe Massa (BRA) Ferrari. Formula One World Championship, Rd 10, Hungarian Grand Prix, Qualifying Day, Budapest, Hungary, Saturday, 25 July 2009 Felipe Massa (BRA) Ferrari F2009. Formula One World Championship, Rd 10, Hungarian Grand Prix, Practice Day, Budapest, Hungary, Friday, 24 July 2009

Ferrari’s Felipe Massa left Budapest on Monday morning to travel home to Brazil, less than ten days after his accident in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix, accompanied by his wife Raffaela and his personal doctor Dino Altmann. Before leaving the AEK hospital, where he has been recovering from his injuries, Massa gave Ferrari his first interview since the Hungaroring crash…

Q: How do you feel? What do you remember from the accident?
Felipe Massa: It is sort of a strange feeling. I know exactly what happened, that a spring came off Rubens' car and hit me on the helmet. I know that something happened to me, but I didn't feel anything when it happened. They told me that I lost consciousness at the moment of the spring's impact on my helmet and I ran into the barriers, then I woke up in hospital two days later. I don't remember anything and that's why what the doctors did had to be explained to me. When I saw Rob (Smedley, his race engineer), he asked me if I remembered Rubens, but the last thing I remembered was when I was behind him at the end of my fast lap in Q2, and than it's blank. It's difficult to explain. I'm feeling much better now and I want to recover as soon as possible to get back behind the wheel of a Ferrari.

Q: Do you want to thank anyone?
FM: First of all I want to thank God. Then I want to thank the doctors at the race track and at Budapest's AEK hospital, who have done a lot for me, and Dino Altmann, who came with my family from Brazil and who was extraordinary over the last days. But I also want to thank everybody who prayed and who wrote to me via my own and Ferrari's website, hoping that everything went well. So many people wrote to me, also many who aren't interested in Formula One, but had heard about what happened to me: thank you so much and I want to tell them that I'm praying also for them. I would have done the same if an accident had happened to another driver: I would have prayed for him that everything went well.

Q: How much help was the fact that your family was here over the last days?
FM: My family is important to me. They have always been close to me during my career, victories and defeats, and the most difficult moments. There was only (brother) Edoardo at Budapest, but when the accident happened Raffaela, my father, my mother and then my sister came to Hungary. I know that they've suffered a lot and I want to thank them. And then there's another family I have to thank: the Ferrari family. They were great, they helped us in any possible way and it's a great thing to be part of this group.

Q: What's your first wish when you get back to Brazil?
FM: Coming back to my home, checking that everything is as it was before. Many things have happened over the last days and I want to get back to a normal life. I want to get back into the best possible condition, doing things you do every day.

Q: For a while your car will be driven by Michael Schumacher: do you have any advice for him?
FM: Michael doesn't need my advice! It was him who gave me many tips during my career when we were racing together. He knows how to win, he knows how to drive and he's great: it was the best choice handing over the car to such a fantastic person and I'm sure that everybody will be happy to see him back on the track again. Although I hope I'll be back on the track with Ferrari as soon as possible.

#51 ·
Schumi pleased by Massa's recovery

Schumi pleased by Massa's recovery

Sunday, 02 August 2009 09:21
News - F1 | ITV Sport

Michael Schumacher said he was surprised by how well Felipe Massa's recovery was progressing after visiting the Brazilian in hospital in Budapest.

The seven time world champion is set to deputise for Massa while the head injuries he sustained in his freak Hungaroring qualifying accident heal.

"It was good to finally see Felipe, I feel better now," said Schumacher.

"Although I've been constantly in contact with him through Nicolas and Jean (Todt) and I always knew everything, it's always better to see things with your own eyes.

"I'm surprised by how good his condition is, considering that the accident happened last week.

"We've been together and spoke a bit about everything.

"I feel really relieved now."

Massa was Schumacher's team-mate in the German's final Formula 1 season in 2006, and they have enjoyed a close relationship since Massa first joined Ferrari as a test driver in 2002.

His doctors have announced that Massa will be ready to leave hospital on Monday, when he will be flown back to his home in Brazil.

Schumacher has already begun preparing for his F1 comeback in Valencia by testing a 2007 Ferrari (provided by Ferrari's client arm) on GP2 tyres at Mugello.

He admitted that the test had been a tough reminder of the physical demands of F1.

"I have to admit that I almost can't feel my muscles anymore, but that's normal after such a long time without any tests," Schumacher said.

"Now I'm curious what's going to happen the next days."

#52 ·
Glad to see Massa is well enough to return home. I hope he continues to make a swift recovery.

On another subject, maybe its me, but many people are referring to Michael Schumacher's return to F1 as a "come back". This may be splitting hairs but I don't think he has the objective of winning a championship as you would expect with a "comeback". I guess we'll see what the future brings but "return to Formula One", or "stepping back into an F1 car" seem more appropriate terms than "making a comeback".

#53 ·
^^I'll agree with your "splitting hairs" comment. He obviously won't be in the championship hunt. I think it's more of a generic phrase. As in, said person used to be in a series, retired and now is returning.

#54 ·
Rubens encouraged by Massa progress

Rubens encouraged by Massa progress - F1 | ITV Sport

Rubens encouraged by Massa progress

Thursday, 13 August 2009 11:38

Rubens Barrichello has spoken at his pleasure at Felipe Massa’s improving condition after visiting his friend and compatriot at his home in Brazil.

Ferrari driver Massa was discharged from hospital in Sao Paolo and returned home early last week to begin his rehabilitation after fracturing his skull and suffering brain concussion in a frightening qualifying accident in Hungary last month.

Barrichello, whose Brawn GP car lost the spring that struck Massa on the helmet, paid a visit to his fellow Brazil on his return to his homeland on Wednesday and described him as being in “good spirits”.

“I spend the afternoon with Felipe...he is fine and exactly the same person as before…thank God,” Barrichello wrote on his Twitter page.

“I loved the afternoon...he was so well and in good spirits.”

With his personal doctor having said that Massa made a “remarkable recovery” in hospital after suffering life-threatening injuries, the Ferrari driver himself has already said he is keen to complete his fitness work and return to the race track as soon as possible.

Barrichello, however, advises that his fellow Brazilian’s return should not be rushed.

“On Felipe's come back we need to be patient...he has to be 100% before driving again,” the veteran added.

Meanwhile, the man who had been set to temporarily replace Massa at Ferrari, Michael Schumacher, has also expressed his encouragement at the speed of his former team-mate’s recovery.

Speaking at a press conference in Geneva on Wednesday in which he explained the reasons for his decision to abandon his F1 comeback plan, Schumacher said Massa was already very eager to get on with serious fitness work.

“I’m always in contact with him, because we’re great friends, which is one of the reasons I accepted to try to get back on the track,” the German said.

“I’m glad that he is recovering so well: he’s extremely motivated, although he can’t prepare in such an intense way as he wants, because the doctors still don’t allow it.”

#55 ·
F1: Report - Monza Return For Massa Possible

F1: Report - Monza Return For Massa Possible
Written by: SPEED Staff / GMM
08/17/2009
GMM Newswire

Massa is due to be examined in Paris at the beginning of September, which could give him the green light to race in Italy and the subsequent four last races of 2009. (Photo:LAT Photographic) » More Photos

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali insists there is no need to rush Felipe Massa into returning quickly to the cockpit of his Formula One car.

Italy's Corriere dello Sport at the weekend claimed the 28-year-old Brazilian, seriously injured at the recent Hungarian Grand Prix, might be fully recovered by the time of the Monza race in less than one month.

It is said Massa is due to be examined in Paris at the beginning of September, which could give him the green light to race in Italy and the subsequent four last races of 2009.

The report also said the 2008 championship runner-up may have to wear extra protective gear should he make his return in just a few weeks' time.

After visiting Massa at his home in Sao Paulo
on Sunday, Domenicali confirmed the driver's good recovery, but urged patience in the face of the speculation about his return.

"Felipe is in excellent form and his recovery is going very well," he said.

"I'm very happy about Felipe's state," Domenicali told Ferrari's official website by telephone. "The medical checks, which have been carried out over the last two weeks, continue to be very encouraging.

"Now it's important to be patient and take one step at a time, without any hurry."

F1 RaceCast Online Now! Follow Formula One live online timing & scoring, practice, qualifying, race coverage, commentary and more on SPEEDtv.com!

#57 ·
From Autoracing1.com: Felipe Massa on Monday said he was targeting a return to competitive formula one action at his home Brazilian grand prix in mid October.

"I hope that I can be back at the Brazilian grand prix for my public, and perhaps even earlier," the injured Ferrari driver told Brazilian TV Globo.

It is reported that the 28-year-old's recuperation is progressing at speed, but that the vision in his left eye is not yet back to 100 per cent.

Massa is hoping that by the next round of detailed tests at the beginning of September, he will be given the green light to return to the track.

"If the doctors here in Brazil say it is ok I will first of all get into a kart," he said. The step after that is for the FIA's medical team to assess him.

"I can hardly wait to drive again," said Massa, who revealed that he has not feared death at any time during or since his Hungarian GP qualifying crash ordeal because he remembers nothing of the actual incident.

#58 ·
Successful surgery for Massa

Successful surgery for Massa

08/09/09 10:06

F1-Live.com

Massa on the road to a full recovery
Felipe Massa is currently in Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital, following more than four hours of skull surgery on Monday. The operation was to repair damage to his skull by the addition of a titanium plate at the spot the Brazilian was struck by a flying suspension spring during qualifying in Budapest in late July.

Ferrari said the surgery "had a positive outcome" and that Massa will return home to begin his physical preparations for next season after a short hospital stay.

In an interview published on Tuesday by Britain's Guardian newspaper, the 28-year-old said the surgery is to "close a bone in my head that they had taken away because it was completely damaged.

"A normal guy can live like this without any problem. But for a driver, if you have an accident and you have this problem, the recovery is more difficult," Massa explained.

"That's the only reason they won't allow me to race now. Otherwise I feel the same as before.
I'm going to Europe to use the simulator and drive some go-karts and then I will know very well if I'm 100%.” Massa confirmed that, contrary to his earlier target, he will now no longer be able to make his comeback at his home grand prix in Brazil next month.

He said he has been following recent races live from his Sao Paulo home but that "it will be much worse when I have to watch the race in Brazil".

"It will be difficult to watch it," Massa concedes, "but I will be there."

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

#59 ·
Ferrari keen to test Massa, seeking test exemption

Ferrari keen to test Massa, seeking test exemption

10/09/09 11:18

F1-Live.com

Testing restrictions currently prevent Massa testing
Ferrari will soon try again to gain an exemption from the in-season testing ban, this time for Felipe Massa. Team boss Stefano Domenicali said on Wednesday that the Brazilian will "get back on track - as soon as the doctors give the all clear."

Earlier this year, the Italian team's request for a one-off run in the 2009 car for Michael Schumacher was blocked by rivals including Williams and Red Bull. Apart from short runs on demonstration tyres for promotions and some straight-line aerodynamic tests, all circuit testing during the season is strictly banned.

"We want to ask for a dispensation and I'm convinced the other teams will grant it to us," Domenicali told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

F1 bosses at Monza on Wednesday discussed the possibility of allowing some testing in 2010 in the event that teams need to change their race line-ups, and for new drivers.

Domenicali meanwhile has indicated that Michael Schumacher is set to remain under contract to Ferrari next year and beyond.
Schumacher is due to sit down with Ferrari bosses and his manager Willi Weber at Monza this weekend to discuss how to proceed given his expiring agreement as a team advisor.

"We want to find a solution, because Schumacher and Ferrari are inseparable," Domenicali said, even refusing to rule out an F1 return for the German. He also indicated that Luca Badoer has a future at Ferrari, despite speculation his poor two-race stint in Massa's car had irreparably damaged his career.

"We will find a solution not only for him but also for (fellow tester) Marc Gene," Domenicali said.

E.A. © CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

#60 ·
MASSA AT MARANELLO

Eurosport - Mon, 05 Oct 20:14:00 2009

Felipe Massa returned to Ferrari's headquarters at Maranello for the first time since fracturing his skull at the Hungarian Grand Prix in July.
MASSA AT MARANELLO

The Brazilian, in line to race again at the start of next season if not sooner, will work on a simulator and improve his fitness in the coming days with a decision not yet taken on when he will test a 2007 car as part of his comeback.

"I'm finally back home," Massa told the Ferrari website.

"This is my second family and I couldn't wait to see them again, all the people I've been working with for many years and who have been close to me these days. There's lots to do, but I'm happy."
Reuters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.