Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Webber storms back to net maiden win

Webber storms back to net maiden win

Sunday, 12 July 2009 14:48
F1 | ITV Sport

Mark Webber secured his maiden Formula 1 victory at the 129th attempt after brilliantly overcoming an early drive-through penalty in the German Grand Prix, as Red Bull’s second straight 1-2 confirmed it can challenge Brawn for the world title.

The pole-sitting Australian was hit with the penalty after an aggressive start saw him swerve into the side of Rubens Barrichello, although the clash didn’t prevent the Brawn driver taking the lead into the first corner.

But while the subsequent stewards decision appeared to hand the three-stopping Barrichello the opportunity he needed to beat the quicker two-stopping RBR, the Brazilian’s hopes were dashed when he was stuck behind Felipe Massa’s Ferrari for the majority of his crucial second stint.

Barrichello’s problem was a godsend for Webber, who showed metronomically consistent speed in his own middle phase of the race to close right back onto the Brawn’s gearbox just as the veteran dived into the pits for his second stop.

Now with the advantage firmly back in the RBR man’s favour, Brawn’s final throw of the dice failed as a fuel-rig problem meant not enough fuel went into Barrichello’s car which forced him to stay on a three-stopper and drop down the order.

With his title-leading team-mate Jenson Button also remaining on three-stopper strategy, this allowed Webber’s team-mate Sebastian Vettel to recover from a poor start to finish 9.2s behind Webber at his home race.

Barrichello’s nemesis Massa repeated his Silverstone trick of using a long first stint to move up the order, last year’s title runner-up finally reaching the podium for the first time this year in third.

It means Vettel now emerges as Button’s closest title challenger, 21 points adrift, with Webber just a further 1.5 points back.

The race was rich in drama and intrigue from the moment the lights went out.

Barrichello got off the line better than polesitter Webber and pulled alongside the Red Bull on the sprint to the first corner, only to find it jinking across into his path abruptly enough to cause a momentary collision.

It looked like an overzealous defensive move from Webber, but the Aussie later insisted he had lost sight of the Brawn; in any case it didn’t prevent Barrichello seizing the advantage into the first corner.

Hamilton also had designs on the lead having made a lightning KERS-assisted start from the third row – but bit off more than he could chew, snagged his right-rear tyre against Webber’s left-front and ended up limping back to the pits with a puncture.

Instead of challenging for his first podium of the season, the world champion was now a lap down and condemned to a long and lonely unscheduled test session, hoping for a rain shower that never materialised.

Webber shadowed Barrichello closely in the early laps, and with five more laps of fuel on board appeared well-placed to move ahead of the Brawn during the first pit stop cycle.

The officials had been unimpressed with the Australian’s start, however, and handed down a drive-through penalty which was communicated to Red Bull around lap 11.

Harsh though the decision appeared to some, it was amply justified by the video evidence.

Webber is not a man to give up easily when faced with a setback, though, and simply served the penalty on lap 14, put his head down and set about making the most of his superior pace over the five remaining laps before his planned refuelling stop.

Meanwhile Barrichello, on a three-stop strategy, emerged from his early first pit visit trapped behind the much slower Ferrari of Felipe Massa, which would stay out for another 10 laps.

That played nicely into the hands of Webber and Button, who closed on Barrichello by nearly two seconds per lap.

By the time Massa peeled into the pits at the end of lap 24, Barrichello had less than six seconds in hand over Webber and his three-stop plan was looking decidedly ropey.

Barely 10 minutes after the penalty seemed to have scotched his dreams of a first grand prix victory, Webber was now right back into contention for the win.

Indeed, such was his pace advantage that he was closing rapidly on Barrichello despite his heavier fuel load, and the pair were nose-to-tail when Rubens stopped for the second time on lap 32.

To compound the Brazilian’s plight he was then delayed in the pits by a fuel rig problem, which meant that although he was stationary from more than 11 seconds he only took on about six seconds’ worth of fuel.

Having dropped to fifth place on the road, Barrichello’s mood wasn’t improved when the team informed him on the radio that he would still have to pit a third time.

Meanwhile everything had fallen perfectly into place for Red Bull.

Even after relaxing his blistering pace, Webber was left with a clear lead over Vettel, who leapfrogged Massa in the first pit stop cycle but admitted that on this day he had no answer for his older team-mate.

The Brawns’ three-stop strategies dropped them into the clutches of not only Massa but also Nico Rosberg, who had driven a fine race to haul his Williams to fourth from 15th on the grid.

Button caught Barrichello towards the end and jumped him for fifth place at their final stops with an impressive in-lap, but both Brawns struggled badly with rear tyre degradation in the closing laps and had their work cut out to fend off a marauding Fernando Alonso.

The former champion had put on a superb late charge, conjuring hitherto-unseen speed from his Renault to reel off a succession of fastest laps and put the Brawns under intense pressure.

Barrichello was in no mood to concede any more places, however, so Alonso had to settle for seventh ahead of Heikki Kovalainen, who did well to salvage a point in the uncompetitive older-spec McLaren.

German Grand Prix result - 60 laps

1. WEBBER Red Bull

2. VETTEL Red Bull +9.2s
3. MASSA Ferrari +15.9s
4. ROSBERG Williams +21.0s

5. BUTTON Brawn +23.6s

6. BARRICHELLO Brawn +24.4s

7. ALONSO Renault +24.8s

8. KOVALAINEN McLaren +58.6s

9. GLOCK Toyota +61.4s

10. HEIDFELD BMW +61.9s

11. FISICHELLA Force India +62.3s

12. NAKAJIMA Williams +62.8s

13. PIQUET Renault +68.3s

14. KUBICA BMW +69.5s

15. SUTIL Force India +71.9s

16. BUEMI Toro Rosso +90.2s

17. TRULLI Toyota +90.9s

18. HAMILTON McLaren +1 lap

R. RAIKKONEN Ferrari +25 laps

R. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso +41 laps

Fastest lap: ALONSO 1m33.365s
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Webber was 'unbeatable', admits Vettel

Webber was 'unbeatable', admits Vettel

Sunday, 12 July 2009 00:00
Webber was 'unbeatable', admits Vettel - F1 | ITV Sport

Sebastian Vettel admitted Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber had simply been “unbeatable” around the Nurburgring on Sunday after finishing second to the Australian in front of his home fans.

While Webber recovered strongly from an early drive-through penalty to claim a commanding first career win, Vettel endured a more up-and-down home race after a poor start put him behind a series of slower cars in the first stint.

But after getting past Ferrari’s Felipe Massa, Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren) and title rival Jensen Button (Brawn) through the pit stop phase, he ultimately secured a second straight Red Bull 1-2 as the second Brawn of Rubens Barrichello fell down the order.

The 22-year-old conceded he simply had no answer to Webber’s pace from qualifying onwards, but said he was still happy to salvage second – a result which means he cuts Button’s points advantage to 21.

“First of all congratulations – I think today he was unbeatable and quicker than all of us, so he totally deserved to win,” Vettel said.

“I am very happy with the result. In the end it was good recovery because it was quite a good start and all the KERS cars around me, I got passed by both McLarens and even Felipe.

“So it was quite difficult as you start fourth and go into the first corner maybe eighth or something..

“Then I struggled a lot with the soft tyres in the first stint, I was in traffic and there were four or five cars and obviously I could have gone a bit quicker, he always used his special [KERS] button when I was quite close.

“Therefore I was lucky to have the right strategy and that in the end brought us back to second position, but Felipe didn’t stop pushing so it was quite hard until the end of the race.”

While Vettel and Webber move into second and third places respectively in the drivers’ championship, albeit still over 20 points adrift of Button, the team’s second successive 1-2 finish means it cuts Brawn’s once massive constructors’ championship lead to 19 points.

Vettel expressed delight about RBR’s current form and says he is looking forward to more battles with Webber in the forthcoming races.

“Another 1-2 finish for the team – I am very, very happy as we got good points today,” he said.

“Obviously I would be lying to you if I said I was very, very pleased with second – of course I wanted to win – but yesterday Mark did a better job and that’s why today he deserves to win, he was quicker.

“It’s a good fight among us, I’m very happy, and looking forward to the next races as our car is competitive.”
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Furious Barrichello slams Brawn team, next to be sacked? (GMM)

Rubens Barrichello slammed his Brawn team after finishing the German grand prix just sixth.

The Brazilian beat eventual winner Mark Webber off the line at the start of the Nurburgring race but by lap 20 was losing a lot of time behind Felipe Massa after his first pitstop.

At his second stop he had a fuel rig problem, and he lost fifth place to championship leading teammate Jenson Button after his third, both drivers reporting tire degradation issues.

"It was a good show from the team on how to lose a race today," the veteran Brazilian told the BBC immediately after the race.

"I'm terribly upset with the way things went. I did all I had to do. I went first on the first corner and then they made me lose the race.

"If it is really what's going on, we're going to end up losing both championships. I feel sorry for myself, the team.

"To be very honest, I wish I could get on the plane and go home. I don't want to talk to anyone in the team. It will be all 'bla bla bla' and I don't want to hear that," he added.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
rubins is such a sour puss, jenson overtook massa, why cant he?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Rubens may have a perception problem
Attached Images
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: