Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Top teams, drivers, to exit decimated F1

Top teams, drivers, to exit decimated F1
Words of warning from Raikkonen and Alonso
20/05/09 20:59

F1-Live.com

History suggests it’s all posturing, but is it?
The big teams' quit threats are not being taken seriously by all, but top drivers in Monte Carlo on Wednesday warned that Formula One could ‘disappear’ amid its latest crisis.

The iconic Ferrari, enraged by the FIA's budget cap intentions, has been accused of self-interest and dramatic posturing, but its Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen told reporters: "I'm pretty sure we are going to disappear from Formula One."

The 29-year-old, who won the drivers' title with the Maranello marque two years ago, said he is committed to staying with Ferrari in 2010.

"They will find something for me to do since they still have a contract with me. They are racing in many other categories," said Raikkonen.

Renault's Fernando Alonso, who before Raikkonen won the previous two world championships, also warned that the very fate of the premier category of single seater racing hinges on the outcome of this dispute.

"If everything is not settled, Formula One is finished and the sport will turn into GP2 with a little more pace, but there won't be any interest in it as an event," the Spaniard said.

Alonso said if a solution is not found, F1 will not only be lacking its biggest and most famous team names.

"I don't want to drive for a small team," he warned, and he said he will not be alone in looking elsewhere for a new premier series.

"If the seven teams go, Formula One disappears. With unknown drivers, it's over. You'll lose the ten best drivers in the world," said Alonso.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Alonso would leave if car makers quit

Alonso would leave if car makers quit

Wednesday, 20 May 2009

A "worried" Fernando Alonso says he would not be interested in continuing his Formula 1 career if there was a manufacturer exodus at the end of the season over the budget cap row.

The Spaniard’s Renault team is one of four owners to publicly put its F1 future on the line over the optional £40 million cap, with it and rivals Ferrari, Toyota and Red Bull all vowing to quit unless the rules are changed.

With the teams’ stand-off with the FIA continuing and Ferrari having failed on Wednesday in its bid to take an injunction out to stop the rules, two-time champion Alonso has admitted that he is “very worried” about his future in the sport.

He confesses it was difficult not to fear about his long-term F1 prospects as he watched the political storm escalate last week, adding that he would look to race elsewhere should the major car makers leave and small teams take their place.

“I try to switch off and concentrate on the business and here that I’m in Monaco obviously I will be 100% with the grand prix, with the weekend,” he told reporters.

“But it is true that last week when I was at home it was impossible to switch off because I don’t know if this will be my last time in Monaco because if the big teams, the big manufacturers, are leaving Formula 1 of course I don’t want to race with small teams because it is not anymore Formula 1 and there are many other categories.”

Alonso admits he is surprised that the sport’s power brokers have allowed the disagreements over the 2010 regulations to spill over into a full-blown public row, saying he feels the sport has been damaged by recent arguments.

He believes F1 would be dealt another severe blow if a mass manufacturer exodus did indeed take place, warning that the sport’s top stars would also follow.

“It’s strange that no one sits down and thinks how much we are damaging the sport, how much damaged the sport has been in the last two months,” Alonso questioned.

“To really enter those three or four new teams and losing seven of the big manufacturers I cannot understand – and not only losing seven manufacturers, also losing the best 10 drivers in the world.

“So it becomes no more interesting, Formula 1.”

The Spaniard confirmed to reporters that he would be attending this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours race, admitting he would like to one day compete in the prestigious sports car event.

However, he said that should his worst F1 fears play out, he would aim to re-start his motor racing career in a year-long championship.

“I hope to race more than one race a year,” he added.

“Obviously I’m 27 and I’m two times world champion and I’d like to win more categories and series.”
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Bernie has finally pushed beyond his ability to control the situation. His refusal to negotiate reasonable fees for Indy and Montreal, the KERS debacle, his ongoing war with BDRC, his failed marriage, it all adds up to someone who pushes so damn hard that it ultimately does collateral damage to all parties involved and will destroy F1.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: '15 C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Edition in Fire Opal
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bernie and Max, what a pair...!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You said it! Worst pair ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in