BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Indianapolis 500

INDYCAR SERIES POST-PRACTICE QUOTES (Drivers who have already qualified):

ALEX LLOYD (No. 99 HER CGR/SSM Racing): "Today was a pretty good day for us. I think we made some improvements in our HER Energy car and definitely got it better toward the end of the day. We got to run in a little bit of traffic, but we'd probably like to run in a bit more tomorrow. When we were running toward the end, when the car was good, there was nobody else on the track. In terms of the actual balance of the car, we're kind of getting there in that window. So that's good news. We just need to get a little bit more traffic under our belt in the next day or two and see where we stand."

MARIO MORAES (No. 5 KV Racing Technology/Votorantim): "It was a really good day. The car is really good in qualifying setup, and now it's very good in race setup. The team has just been doing a really good job. As a team, everyone is working on one thing together. Townsend (Bell) is doing a great job. He was in the top 10. At the end of the week, we're going to put everything together and get one solid race car for everyone."

RAPHAEL MATOS (No. 2 US Air Force Luczo Dragon Racing): "Overall, today was a good day. We made a few changes with the car, which allowed us to understand the car much better. I think we are moving in the right direction. Performance-wise we were not worried about speed but moving the car through and around traffic. The team worked well together today, especially on our pit stops where we found speed. I am looking forward to tomorrow's practice and continuing to improve the car."

WILL POWER (No. 12 Team Verizon Wireless): "It was a pretty good day, and we got in plenty of miles. We got in some good runs in the Verizon Wireless car. I think we have a good amount of things to think about tonight. We'll probably make a few changes tomorrow and try to get a little bit more speed for the practice runs."

GRAHAM RAHAL (No. 02 McDonald's Racing Team): "Overall, I think we made a lot of improvements to the McDonald's car for the race, but the wind was a big factor today. Right now the wind is not being very nice to us, but we certainly got better toward the end of the day. We still have a long way to go to get ready for the race, but I am confident we will get there. We're getting closer and getting a better pace. With a little more work, we will be right on. I think we are close to the Ganassi boys, and they are usually strong in the race. I am confident we will continue to improve and have a good balance in the car for the race."

RYAN BRISCOE (No. 6 Team Penske): "We worked on the balance of the Team Penske car today. We tried a few long stints to see how the car runs on full tanks. We also looked at how the balance shifts when the tires wear down through the run and how close we can stay to each other in dirty air. That's what today was all about, and I think the car is really strong, and it's very fast. We'll take the next couple days to keep working on it, and we should definitely be ready for Race Day."

HELIO CASTRONEVES (No. 3 Team Penske): "We ran a lot of laps and took advantage of the great weather today. It was a good day for Team Penske. We turned in the second- and third-fastest laps of the day. I certainly feel like we are heading in the right direction. We still have to work hard like everyone else, but I am very pleased with the overall performance of today's practice."

HIDEKI MUTOH (No. 27 Formula Dream): "On our last run, we did a full-stint distance, and I think both the car and I need to do more to find the right setup. It was quite a tough day to work on the setup, and we're still missing some speed. Maybe (Friday) will be better."

SCOTT DIXON (No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing): "The car seemed pretty good. We had a few issues in the middle of the day where we just made some changes, and it didn't go as planned. All-in-all, we seemed pretty consistent. We were on old tires yet. Hopefully, we can see what the new tires are like in the next couple of days. Usually that's a pretty good gain for us. We were running tires to 30-35 laps in a stint, and they seemed to be holding up pretty good. We still have to prepare the car a little better so it's good in traffic. Late in the day was much better, because a lot more cars were out there, and it was more like race running. That's what we have to do - is run in traffic."

DARIO FRANCHITTI (No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing): "At this point in the month, it's not so much about the speed on one lap. It's about balance and how the car handles in traffic and how it runs through a full tank of fuel. We're getting there. We're making some progress. Any track time we can get is beneficial. If it rains, we will lose a big percentage of our track time. We're trying to get everything we can get now and keep working on the car."

MARCO ANDRETTI (No. 26 Team Venom Energy): "Today was a character-building day for Team Venom Energy. I think we found the underlying problem that will help lead us in the right direction tomorrow. We're still working on testing and checking items off our list, but I think we're much closer to finding the right race day setup for the No. 26 car."

TONY KANAAN (No. 11 Team 7-Eleven): "Good day for the Team 7-Eleven guys. We are still working on a race setup that we will be happy with. The track was definitely green from all the rain we have had the past few days, but overall we are headed in the right direction."

DANICA PATRICK (No. 7 Boost Mobile/Motorola): "I have to say the No. 7 car got better as the practice session went on. When we first went out on track, my steering was too loose and made the whole car nervous. But we made some changes, and it got much better. We are working hard to find a car that is going to be strong for the race, and we are getting closer to it each day."

ED CARPENTER (No. 20 Menards/Vision Racing): "We got in a lot of laps today, which was good. We wanted to get on the track as much as possible, and we did that. I started out the day by jumping in Ryan's (Hunter-Reay) car to confirm some things for the team, and then I just spent the rest of the afternoon in my car getting ready for the race. We did a lot of race runs, full-tank running, and it was pretty productive. Toward the end of the day, the track heated up and it got pretty windy, and it wasn't bad conditions, but not great conditions, either. So it was kind of good to go out and run when the track is not at its best. I think my car is OK right now, and we're fairly close to where I was last year when I ran here and finished fifth. But obviously we want to finish a little higher than fifth this year, so we're going to keep working at it."

A total of 48 cars are currently at the Speedway and have passed technical inspection. Thirty-four drivers have been on the track to date and turned 1,937 laps today and 7,562 laps this month. Raphael Matos turned 85 laps today and has turned 334 laps this month, most of any driver. There were two cautions today for a total of 19 minutes.

FRIDAY'S SCHEDULE (all times local):
8 a.m.
Garages open

Noon-6 p.m.
IndyCar Series practice

***END DAY 6***

IndyCar.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should be a good race this weekend. The Penske cars are the class of the field, but Graham, TK, and Danica are running strong in practice. Moraes continues to impress, he's going to be a winner in the years to come.

Glad to see PT in the race, would love to see him beat Helio but I don't think he has the equipment. Eric Bachelart pulled Junky from the car and gave it to Tags, I guess you have to please the paying sponsors. Rexall is backing Tags in at least the Canadian races and Eric is schmoozing them at Indy this weekend.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 03:35 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Good for Helio, unbelievable for Danny Weldon. Way underfunded team, he just wouldn't give up. Great finish for DP as well.

I don't buy the storyline for Marco. He shouldn't have been there. And I feel bad for Graham and TK, just bad luck. Matos is an idiot. Vitor is a very good racer, shouldn't have been taken out by that bonehead.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Good job for Helio!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
How many passes were made on track?

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Glad to see the win. While normally I would prefer another winner, Helio really, really needed this win. He has had his world upside down and this has to help.

The fact that he was so very quick to thank all the people, from Penske to his fans for sticking with him during the hard parts says much.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
A great win for Helio Castroneves. How could anyone not feel happy for this genuinely nice, exuberant, and happy guy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
I like the guy and am happy for him. Years ago, a friend was over to the house at the finish of a race he won, my friend said "I'm not even a race fan, and I'm almost in tears!"

The series needs a shake up, tho.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in