Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Renault threatens to pull out of F1

Renault issue team statement
FORMULA1.COM

The Renault Formula One team and parent company Renault issued the following statement on Wednesday:

The decision of the Federation International de l’Automobile (FIA) to introduce two sets of Formula One technical regulations for the 2010 Formula One season has caused the Renault Group to reconsider its entry in next year’s FIA Formula One World Championship.

There is frustration that FOTA’s constructive proposals, including major cost saving measures to be adopted progressively between 2009 and 2012, which were carefully constructed by FOTA members, have been completely ignored without any form of consultation by the FIA with the teams.

It should be stressed that FOTA has set the same, if not lower, financial objective as the FIA, but Renault strongly believes that this must be introduced through a different procedure agreed by all parties.

Renault also believes that it is paramount that the governance of the sport is coordinated with a spirit of consultation with all parties (FIA, FOM, FOTA) in order to achieve a better balance between the costs and the revenues. Renault is also of the firm view that all entrants in the World Championship must adhere to and operate under the same regulations.

President of the ING Renault F1 Team, Bernard Rey, commented: “Renault has always considered Formula One as the pinnacle of motor sport and the perfect stage to demonstrate technical excellence. We remain committed to the sport, however we cannot be involved in a championship operating with different sets of rules, and if such rules are put into effect, we will be forced to pull out at the end of this season.”

ING Renault F1 Team Managing Director, Flavio Briatore, commented: “Our aim is to reduce costs while maintaining the high standards that make Formula One one of the most prestigious brands on the market. We want to achieve this in a coordinated manner with the regulatory and commercial bodies, and we refuse to accept unilateral governance handed out by the FIA. If the decisions announced by the World Council on the 29th of April 2009 are not revised, we have no choice but to withdraw from the FIA Formula One World Championship at the end of 2009.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Sorry, I read "Renault" and my mind doesn't go to performance racing machines, but rather automatically to...

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: '15 C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Edition in Fire Opal
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that's four teams that are now suggesting that unless the $40m cap is discussed properly and agreed by the FOTA, may not enter next year's F1 season; Ferrari, Red Bull, Toyota and now Renault.

Max and Bernie have some work to do me thinks...
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Briatore plays down 'breakaway' likelihood (GMM) Flavio Briatore on Thursday played down speculation that leading formula one teams are shaping up to split with formula one to set up a rival 'breakaway' championship.

The Italian runs the Renault team, and Ferrari, Toyota, BMW and Red Bull have similarly threatened to quit the sport at the end of the 2009 over the budget cap spat with the FIA.

But Briatore told Gazzetta dello Sport that the objective of the dispute is not to dispense with F1's governing body FIA.

"I must be clear that we, Ferrari and the others have no intention of breaking with FIA. It (a breakaway) is a remote hypothesis that everyone wants to avoid.

"We want to be there, to participate, to preserve the future," said the 59-year-old.

Briatore explained that it is "logical" that teams want its governing body to be "simply the referee" rather than the dictator of new rules.

"We should write the rules, not have them imposed by (FIA president) Max (Mosley) without speaking to anyone," he said.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

For a change I agree with Briatore.

I think I understand where Max is coming from, but IMO he needs to forget about trying to be a politician and let the motor racing teams work it out. Let's face it F1 has never been politically correct or cheap, that be the attraction of it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
CART collapsed because the owners wrote the rules, lesson learned?

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:30 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeJay View Post
For a change I agree with Briatore.
I agreed with him about Heidi Klum. Then he dumped her.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
CART collapsed because the owners wrote the rules, lesson learned?
I didn't know that, I thought it just split in half and became CART and IRL?

I'm sure Max is doing/saying what he thinks is in the best interests of the sport. But the two-tier system that will appear (if what has been proposed comes into force), will make it very difficult for the teams that have made big capital investments to justify staying in the sport.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
^^Yeah, another series Roger Penske (among others) destroyed. Remember CAN-AM? I believe RP had his lawyers draw up rules that he could exploit a loop hole through. Remember the turbo Buick? Without a "boss", whichever team has the best lawyers, wins. That's racing? Not in my book.
Tony George has a massive ego, that helped, divide and conquer. Now TG has figured out he needs the CART boys to survive, what did it take, 15 years? Manufactures have left, that leaves a spec series, we already have that, the feeder series, if there's one left.
Having vented, I don't care much for Max and Bernie, either. IIUC, Max was the "M" in March, so he was a team owner at some point, so was Bernie, I think.
BE turned the series into a piece of work, I mean that in a good sense, but power corrupts, and with nazi Max at his side, has gone off the deep end.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Max was indeed the 'M' in MARCH, but that was 40 years ago when things were quite different. But you're right, he is due some credit for creating/founding a team, although IIRC he'd left the company by the time they were building more race cars than anyone else. He is after all a lawyer and these days it seems is trying to be a politician. The problem for me is that MM is a total control freak and is either brilliant or losing the plot. Only time will tell which it is.

Bernie owned Brabham for a while. So again yep several brownie point for being a former team owner. Martin Brundle used to be one of his drivers. Bernie is a very sharp operator. I think he deserves a great deal of credit for buying the commercial rights to F1 when nobody else was interested and then having the nouse to turn it into a massive global business worth millions or even billions. That he got rich in the process is fine with me.

He seems to get off on doing the next big deal. I don't even think it has anything to do with the money. He enjoys the battle, the tactics and enjoys winding people up. For me the main thing about Bernie is he has never had the talent to actually create anything. He is a corporate shark of the Great White variety.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in