Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes official admits F1 project in doubt

Mercedes official admits F1 project in doubt
Lense questions the benefits of Formula One
23/04/09 10:16

F1-Live.com

Mercedes looking at it options
As McLaren mechanics put the finishing touches on the Bahrain pit garage, speculation ramped up in Germany about the future of engine partner Mercedes-Benz.

Helmut Lense, on the supervisory board of the Stuttgart marque's parent Daimler, openly admitted to Stuttgarter Zeitung newspaper that the Formula One engagement is very much in doubt.

Mercedes is suffering amid the car industry slump and the global recession, leading Lense to muse that the McLaren money might be better spent.

Key to the speculation is that Mercedes-Benz might prefer to remain in F1 merely as an engine supplier. Mercedes owns 40 percent of Woking-based McLaren Group.

"Daimler has the goal to be prominent with 'green technology'. Does Formula One fit? Would it be the right signal to step out of F1 now and instead concentrate on pollution-free propulsion technologies?" Lense mused.

Worsening McLaren's woes is the looming World Motor Sport Council meeting, where penalties for fraud may result from the 'lie-gate' affair.

A source with one of the team's big sponsors told the Telegraph: "I can say that if a disproportionately large penalty were given to McLaren on April 29 then the sponsor that I am associated with might leave."

E.A. © CAPSIS International
Source: GMM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both Mercedes and Hamilton are putting on a brave face this weekend in Bahrain. But you have to know Hamilton is combing his contract with a fine tooth comb looking for loopholes. And Mercedes is not committed beyond this year. Wednesday is going to be a big day for McLaren.

With the success of Brawn, Mercedes must be thinking they are better of as just an engine supplier. McLaren have been bad boys lately, not playing nicely.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 CL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Dieter Zetsche has indicated, the decision to stay in or leave F1, might depend on the severity of the expected penalty and fine by the FIA after the upcoming hearing. I assume another 100 Million Dollar fine would mean the end of the F1 team....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Doing pretty good as an engine supplier, get rid of those damn expensive drivers, it may actually make a buck or two.
I understand Cosworth is looking to get back into the fray.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Lenient penalty for McLaren likely

Lenient penalty for McLaren likely
Media speculation ahead of WMSC meeting
British Sunday newspapers, apparently fed by unnamed high-level sources, are reporting that McLaren Mercedes is likely to escape major punishment in next Wednesday's World Motor Sport Council hearing.

It has been rumoured that race bans are possible for the British team over 'lie-gate', but the Telegraph said a points deduction is actually the most likely outcome.

McLaren, with eight points on the board so far, is therefore likely to go into negative points figures.

The Independent newspaper agreed with the speculation about the likely penalty's leniency, and other press sources indicate that the news about the hearing follows Martin Whitmarsh's letter to FIA President Max Mosley this week.

It is believed that it is because Whitmarsh outlined the apologetic and open manner in which McLaren will handle the hearing that information about the outcome is now emerging.

A source told the News of the World: "It is all up to McLaren now. If they go into the meeting contrite and hold their hands up then they could get off.

"But if they go to Paris trying to defend themselves like they did over Ferrari-gate it will not be good for them."

© CAPSIS International
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post

A source told the News of the World: "It is all up to McLaren now. If they go into the meeting contrite and hold their hands up then they could get off.

"But if they go to Paris trying to defend themselves like they did over Ferrari-gate it will not be good for them."

© CAPSIS International
Something to said for remorse.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Sell the interest in McLaren - they (the McLaren side) are not worth what they think they are. Concentrate on being an engine supplier. There really is no clear connection between McLaren and Mercedes road cars imho, but as an engine builder they have a significant following/awareness in F1.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The McLaren group is involved in far more than the F 1 program.
http://www.mclaren.com/technologycen...1240954759.htm
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
The McLaren group is involved in far more than the F 1 program.
McLaren Technology Centre
Yes, I have been to this site on a couple of occasions. One was when my employer was starting to design our new corporate facility. I thought it would be valuable to see what they have done at McLaren's HQ. I sent an email and never got a reply.

On the second occasion I wanted to integrate some F1 facts into a presentation I was doing. The goal was to convey the need to use data to drive the decision making in my organization. I sent an email asking for info on the size of the data transmission coming to the paddock from the car each lap. Again, no reply. Maybe they just don't like me ;-)

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in