SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: R107 300SL; 1990 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ferrari woes

Only two GPs in it is perhaps a little early to be making predictions but Ferrari look like a team in disarray.

Ross Brawn himself has said that with both McLaren and Ferrari locked into the battle for the Championships last year they had less time to concentrate on their 2009 cars unlike Honda where Brawn quickly decided to ditch the 2008 dog and concentrate on the changes and opportunities arising from the 2009 specs.

I am sure he is right but in respect of Ferrari I wonder if the depature of the triumphirate of Todt, Brawn and Schumacher is now finally beginning to be felt.

Everything seems out of kilter at the Scuderia at the moment. They've maybe missed out on the rear diffuser. Their KERS system seems problematic and impacts on the size of the car's fuel tank and therefore race strategy. It weight is only marginally offset by the increase in power but it is also having an impact on balance and the wear on tyres.

The drivers are not tuned in but are being undermined by silly calls by the team. Apparently Schumacher made the call on Raikkonen's move to full wet tyres on Sunday.... but the track was dry. OK it could have been a brilliant call had the heavens opened two laps earlier but they did not.

In much the same way McLaren too are entering into a new era with Ron gone. Sadly similar problems seem to plague them.

Still nothing ever stays the same. I hope the FIA find in favour of the Diffuser Three and that this refreshing change of frontrunners is allowed to continue for the rest of the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe Ferrari had a golden era with Schumi. They just need to drive the cars to complete the full race.This will make them feel good & pressure will be off the drivers.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: Vito 120
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been forecasting the approaching downfall of ferrari ever since they said no to brawn, to give such a pivotal role to someone more... Able? No. Proven? No. Accomplished? No. Successful? No. Italian? Why, yes.

Okay, ferrari might be the national team of italy and all that, but to be the winning team in F1 you can't limit yourself to 0.8% of the talent pool when building your team. ferrari won and won again and again cos they got the best people for the job in.

If Brawn had been in charge, massa's "nellie the elephant packed trunk" bit @ singapore wouldn't have happened, cos Brawn would have picked up the stop lights failings at valencia (if not before) and DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT, and massa would be calling himself champ. And thats a fact.

Messerschmitt-Benz Me120 CDI Panel Van
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyben View Post
I've been forecasting the approaching downfall of ferrari ever since they said no to brawn, to give such a pivotal role to someone more... Able? No. Proven? No. Accomplished? No. Successful? No. Italian? Why, yes.

Okay, ferrari might be the national team of italy and all that, but to be the winning team in F1 you can't limit yourself to 0.8% of the talent pool when building your team. ferrari won and won again and again cos they got the best people for the job in.

If Brawn had been in charge, massa's "nellie the elephant packed trunk" bit @ singapore wouldn't have happened, cos Brawn would have picked up the stop lights failings at valencia (if not before) and DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT, and massa would be calling himself champ. And thats a fact.
Exactly. Massa would also not have been sitting out the final few minutes of Quali 1 in Malaysia given that the track starts to bed in as the session progresses.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL View Post
Only two GPs in it is perhaps a little early to be making predictions but Ferrari look like a team in disarray.

Ross Brawn himself has said that with both McLaren and Ferrari locked into the battle for the Championships last year they had less time to concentrate on their 2009 cars unlike Honda where Brawn quickly decided to ditch the 2008 dog and concentrate on the changes and opportunities arising from the 2009 specs.

I am sure he is right but in respect of Ferrari I wonder if the depature of the triumphirate of Todt, Brawn and Schumacher is now finally beginning to be felt.

Everything seems out of kilter at the Scuderia at the moment. They've maybe missed out on the rear diffuser. Their KERS system seems problematic and impacts on the size of the car's fuel tank and therefore race strategy. It weight is only marginally offset by the increase in power but it is also having an impact on balance and the wear on tyres.

The drivers are not tuned in but are being undermined by silly calls by the team. Apparently Schumacher made the call on Raikkonen's move to full wet tyres on Sunday.... but the track was dry. OK it could have been a brilliant call had the heavens opened two laps earlier but they did not.

In much the same way McLaren too are entering into a new era with Ron gone. Sadly similar problems seem to plague them.

Still nothing ever stays the same. I hope the FIA find in favour of the Diffuser Three and that this refreshing change of frontrunners is allowed to continue for the rest of the season.
Hmm...

Five races in and Ferrari have scored 6points and almost as many own-goals!

The engineers and aerodynamicists have clearly done a lot to improve the performance of the car based on its performance in qualifying and the race in Spain but what a c-ck-up with Raikkonnen on Saturday and today with Massa's fuel load.

I felt really sorry for Felipe but surely having identified that they were running out of fuel some ten laps from the end of the race why on earth allow Massa to fight with Vettel for so long? Massa had a sufficient cushion to fend off Alonso if he had let Vettel pass earlier and reined in his engine revs. As it was, those four or five laps defending fourth to a clearly superior Red Bull cost Ferrari fifth place.

Contrast this with the swift decision Brawn took to reschedule Button to a two stopper and the positive outcome for the team.

Ferrari used to do this kind of thing before they let the "supremely arrogant" Ross Brawn go.

Not good times for the Scuderia.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL View Post
Five races in and Ferrari have scored 6points and almost as many own-goals!
Lol. Well put!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ferrari = Dooh
The team needs new leadership.
The Italian press is likely to give them hell.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: '15 C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Edition in Fire Opal
I don't understand the red team's race tactics on Sunday. To me it was clear that a Splash and dash for Masa with 10 laps to go on Sunday and he would have hung onto 5th and maybe even 4th.

Last edited by GeeJay; 05-11-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: I meant Sunday not Saturday...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ferrari dismiss tabloid rumours

Ferrari dismiss tabloid rumours
Pressure on Ferrari to perform in Spain
10/05/09 12:50

F1-Live.com

Ferrari have axed star drivers in the past
Rumours in the Barcelona paddock indicate that tension between Kimi Raikkonen and the Ferrari management is growing.

Officially, the Italian team was willing to take the blame for the serious strategy error that left the Finn just 16th on the grid for the Spanish Grand Prix.

But Raikkonen also admitted his own role. "I certainly wasn't keen on doing another run," he said of the Q1 debacle.

It is believed the roots of the situation date back to a similar situation earlier this season, when Ferrari reacted to a similar error on Felipe Massa's car by subsequently ordering much more conservative qualifying strategies.

Raikkonen, however, is said to have insisted he have more control over his own qualifying strategies.

As a result, tensions between the driver and his team are high, with the British tabloid Daily Star interpreting the situation as the threat the Finn 'could be booted ... if he doesn't perform in Spain today'.

The newspaper said Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo has told team chiefs that Raikkonen, despite his huge salary, is not expendable.

Team boss Stefano Domenicali played down the rumours, insisting the onus is on Ferrari to give its drivers better equipment.

"I am sure we have all the elements to come back," the Italian said.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeJay View Post
I don't understand the red team's race tactics on Saturday. To me it was clear that a Splash and dash for Masa with 10 laps to go on Saturday and he would have hung onto 5th and maybe even 4th.
I agree, it was nuts. When they told him to hold off Vettel AND try to save fuel I knew they had lost their minds. Even Massa was incredulous on the radio.

Either let Vettel by and go into fuel conservation mode or do a splash and dash. It's sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in