Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
CUP: Gordon Checks Out F1 Tracks

CUP: Gordon Checks Out F1 Tracks

Written by: Tom Jensen
03/19/2009 - 08:39 PM
Bristol, TN

Four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Jeff Gordon, his wife Ingrid Vandebosch and daughter Ella visited Belgium, Vandebosch’s native land. (Photo: LAT Photographic) » More Photos

What do you do if you’re a NASCAR racer on a rare off-week? Go to a race track somewhere else, of course.

And that’s exactly what four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Jeff Gordon did during his break in the off-week between the Atlanta and Bristol, Tenn., races. Gordon, wife Ingrid Vandebosch and daughter Ella visited Belgium, Vandebosch’s native land.

While there, Gordon checked out Belgium’s two most famous race tracks, Spa-Francorchamps, the 4.27-mile road course where the Formula 1 circuit will race August 30, as well as The Circuit Zolder, a 2.62-mile circuit that hosted F1 races from 1973-84.

Gordon lapped the fabled Spa circuit in a street car, according to a Belgian television report that aired on one of his fan club sites, - Nascar Resources and Information.. “I got to make some laps — not in a race car — but it was something that I always wanted to do. It’s an amazing track,” Gordon told a Belgian television interviewer.

“I thought I was here to get away from racing, but I couldn’t do it,” Gordon said.

Tom Jensen is the Senior NASCAR Editor for, the former Executive Editor of NASCAR Scene and a contributing Editor for He is the author of “Cheating: The Bad Things Good NASCAR Nextel Cup Racers Do In Pursuit of SPEED,”
and has appeared on television and radio shows to discuss NASCAR racing. Jensen is the past President of the National Motorsports Press Association. Jensen is the 1997 National Motorsports Press Association Writer of the Year and has won numerous national and state awards for news reporting, columns and feature writing. The Answer Man is back at Tom Jensen answers your questions during every race week and looks forward to hearing from you - please e-mail it to
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: