Rumours tip Virgin as late Honda bidder? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 33,570
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Rumours tip Virgin as late Honda bidder?

Rumours tip Virgin as late Honda bidder?
A late bid for the Brackley-based F1 team
17/02/09 08:57



F1-Live.com

Ongoing speculation regarding the Honda team
As the clock to Melbourne clicks down to less than 40 days, the latest rumour in the Honda saga is that Sir Richard Branson may be the mysterious late bidder for the Brackley-based team.

It seems clear that the proposed management buyout, led by Nick Fry and Ross Brawn, came close to fruition in recent days, until reports that an 'unnamed third party' stepped in at the eleventh hour.

The Daily Telegraph quoted a source as describing the unnamed company as 'reputable, able to bring long-term financial stability, with a brand image known throughout the world.
'

"Formula one would do well to have them on board," the source added.

Branson heads the predominantly travel, entertainment and lifestyle brand Virgin.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International
Teutone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
ShaggyDiesel's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: '83 300CD, '11 Ford Flex Limited, '96 Ford F-350 PSD
Location: Litchfield County, CT
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Rumours tip Virgin as late Honda bidder?
A late bid for the Brackley-based F1 team
17/02/09 08:57



F1-Live.com

Ongoing speculation regarding the Honda team
As the clock to Melbourne clicks down to less than 40 days, the latest rumour in the Honda saga is that Sir Richard Branson may be the mysterious late bidder for the Brackley-based team.

It seems clear that the proposed management buyout, led by Nick Fry and Ross Brawn, came close to fruition in recent days, until reports that an 'unnamed third party' stepped in at the eleventh hour.

The Daily Telegraph quoted a source as describing the unnamed company as 'reputable, able to bring long-term financial stability, with a brand image known throughout the world.
'

"Formula one would do well to have them on board," the source added.

Branson heads the predominantly travel, entertainment and lifestyle brand Virgin.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International


First Red Bull, now Virgin Atlantic, it couldn't hurt.

________________

All gave some, Some gave it all ~ 9/11 Never Forget

People shouldn't fear their Government, The Government should fear its people.
ShaggyDiesel is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
EvoGuy's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Location: ATL
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, Virgin does have the available funds for such a purchase! It remains to see if they can see any kind of return for their investment in these difficult times.
EvoGuy is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
ShaggyDiesel's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: '83 300CD, '11 Ford Flex Limited, '96 Ford F-350 PSD
Location: Litchfield County, CT
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Outside of the United States, F1 and the WRC are the most watched motorsport events.
I just wish there was more coverage of the both over them here in the States.

________________

All gave some, Some gave it all ~ 9/11 Never Forget

People shouldn't fear their Government, The Government should fear its people.
ShaggyDiesel is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 33,570
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDiesel View Post
Outside of the United States, F1 and the WRC are the most watched motorsport events.
I just wish there was more coverage of the both over them here in the States.
I have followed Formula One ever since my Father took me to the F-1 GP of Germany at the old
17.5 mile long Nürburgring, which probably means longer than many of you have been alive.
I have been 'hooked' ever since. The 'Ring' has to be the most demanding race track ever build.

I don't think anyone could have imagined a Formula One 'business group' incompetent enough, to leave Canada and the U.S. without a Grand Prix race.
Teutone is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
ShaggyDiesel's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: '83 300CD, '11 Ford Flex Limited, '96 Ford F-350 PSD
Location: Litchfield County, CT
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
I have followed Formula One ever since my Father took me to the F-1 GP of Germany at the old
17.5 mile long Nürburgring, which probably means longer than many of you have been alive.
I have been 'hooked' ever since. The 'Ring' has to be the most demanding race track ever build.

I don't think anyone could have imagined a Formula One 'business group' incompetent enough, to leave Canada and the U.S. without a Grand Prix race.
It really is a shame with no F1 and the nearest WRC event being in Mexico , I would love to more of the true racing here...

________________

All gave some, Some gave it all ~ 9/11 Never Forget

People shouldn't fear their Government, The Government should fear its people.
ShaggyDiesel is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 33,570
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Honda deadline looming

Honda deadline looming
Newspapers claim the final date is set
19/02/09 08:12



Photo F1-Live.com
Zoom
Closure remains an option to Honda
Only a few days remain for the Brackley-based Formula One team to survive the shock withdrawal of the Japanese manufacturer Honda.

Amid reports of potential buyers including Richard Branson's Virgin Group, or a Nick Fry and Ross Brawn-led management buyout, it has emerged that Monday 23 February is the deadline for final plans to be set in stone.

Team Principal Brawn is quoted by the Swiss newspaper Blick as confirming that Monday is decision-day, and Britain's Guardian newspaper revealed the same deadline.

The Daily Mail said the deadline for the Honda Motor Co. board to approve a buyout deal is 28 February.

The Guardian, however, said 23 February is the deadline set by Mercedes-Benz, with the German manufacturer wanting its first payment for the customer supply of engines on that date.


With the first payment, the team must also be able to demonstrate to the German manufacturer that it can afford the entire €8m engine bill for the full season.

Meanwhile, the Brazilian oil company Petrobras, having intended to back Honda's 2009 campaign, clarified this week that it is not interested in signing with the ‘future team yet to be formed’, nor is it helping to finance Bruno Senna's Grand Prix debut.

But the Guardian claims that Embratel, another Brazilian company, is still ‘keen to offer support’.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International
Teutone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Are these rumours true? flexy7 General Mercedes-Benz 76 03-11-2008 06:45 PM
    Brawn joins Honda.......Says Honda more of a challenge than Ferrari Jakarta Expat Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing 6 11-18-2007 08:35 AM
    Soft Top Rumours. Zé Bocaina G-Class 0 09-22-2006 09:13 AM
    Honda/Acura XGA (Replacement to Honda S2000) firstmb Off-Topic 9 04-06-2006 09:35 PM
    I feel sorry for this bidder.... eMLi W163 M-Class 7 10-11-2003 04:56 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome