Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Ecclestone wants medals to decide title

Ecclestone wants medals to decide title
Eurosport - Tue, 18 Nov 15:42:00 2008

Formula One race winners should receive gold medals next season with the World Championship going to whoever wins most, the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said.

More StoriesHamilton to race Hoy at Wembley
Talking Point: Like father, like son
"Everybody is happy with the idea, they are all very supportive," the 78-year-old Briton told Reuters when asked whether the teams supported his suggestion.

"I'm absolutely 100 per cent sure it's the right way to go: it'll get them (the drivers) overtaking."

The idea has yet to be presented to the governing FIA world motor sport council however, with the next meeting scheduled for Monaco on December 12.

The Formula One Teams Association, representing all 10 teams, is also expected to discuss the plan at their next gathering.

Ecclestone wants to drop the existing points format to make races more exciting and ensure drivers go all out for victory rather than driving strategically to bank points and secure the title.

McLaren's 23-year-old driver Lewis Hamilton became the sport's youngest champion by a single point this season after finishing fifth in a nailbiting final race in Brazil this month.

However, Ferrari's Felipe Massa, who won his home race in Brazil, would have been champion under a medals system since he had six victories to the Briton's five.

Under Ecclestone's Olympic-style system, the top three drivers in every grand prix would get gold, silver and bronze medals instead of 10, eight and six points.

Those who finished fourth and below would not get points towards the drivers' championship but their placings would count for the overall rankings.

Points would still be awarded for the constructors' championship.

Reuters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
How medals would change F1 history

How medals would change F1 history
Eurosport - Wed, 26 Nov 13:23:00 2008

If Bernie Ecclestone's 'gold medals' proposal for scoring in Formula One was retrospectively applied, it would change the landscape of the sport's history.

More StoriesHamilton to receive gong
More F1 news
In the 58 World Championships since the category's modern inception in 1950, the Olympic Games-style system would have crowned a different champion up to 12 times.

The most recent example is this year, when runner-up Felipe Massa won six races compared with Lewis Hamilton's five. Under Ecclestone's proposed regime, the Brazilian would now be 2008 world champion.

The big winners of the F1 bigwig's plan, however, would have been Nigel Mansell (champion in 1992) and Jim Clark (1963 and 1965). In both cases, the drivers would each have won two extra titles.

The biggest loser, on the other hand, would be Nelson Piquet, who according to the 'medals' system would not have won any of his three titles in the 80s.

Alain Prost would have won five titles instead of four, and Keke Rosberg - because he only won a single 'gold medal' - would not have been crowned champion in 1982.

Indeed, under Ecclestone's plan, the Finn and father of Williams driver Nico Rosberg would have finished the drivers' championship just sixth.

F1-Live.com / Eurosport
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Jordan slams Bernie medals plan

Jordan slams Bernie medals plan
Eurosport - Wed, 26 Nov 13:47:00 2008

Former team boss Eddie Jordan has poured cold water on Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone's plans to have the drivers' World Championship decided by gold medals rather than points.

"I think they are a nonsense," Jordan told the BBC. "I can't possibly believe he's thinking straight, especially on this one.

"His focus must be on cost-cutting and nothing else. The rest is just dressing it up."

Ecclestone has said he wants the title won by the driver who wins most races to make the sport more exciting and prevent a repeat of this year's situation, where McLaren's Lewis Hamilton needed only to finish fifth in Brazil to be champion.

Hamilton did what was necessary - but only just - at Interlagos, beating Ferrari's Felipe Massa by a single point although the Brazilian won six races to the Briton's five victories.

Under Ecclestone's Olympic-style plan, the top three in each race would get gold, silver and bronze medals. Points would count only towards the constructors' standings and to decide overall rankings.

The 78-year-old Briton has now returned to the theme, telling a news conference: "It's going to happen. All the teams are happy, we're happy and the (governing) FIA are happy.

"The whole reason for this was that I get fed up with people talking about no overtaking. The reason there is no overtaking is nothing to do with the circuits, very little to do with the cars, it's that drivers don't need to overtake.

"If you are in the lead and I'm second, I'm not going to take a chance maybe falling off the road and doing something silly to get two (more) points.

"But if I now need to get gold medals because the most gold medals win the championship, then I will overtake you, I promise. And that's what will happen.

"This year, on a number of occasions, Lewis didn't bother to overtake Massa for that reason. And I wouldn't. If he had driven for me and tried and made a mistake, I would have complained.

"It's just not on that someone can win the World Championship without winning a race."

Jordan said however that points were of vital importance to teams and drivers further down the pecking order and trying to get noticed.

"One point is as important to those teams as a win is to McLaren and Ferrari," he said. "He is tinkering with something on which he has lost the understanding. He thinks only wins matter.

"When Hamilton lost the race in Spa and it was given to Massa, can you believe the controversy that would have created?

"There has not been enough thought put into this and for him to say that it comes with the full approval of all the teams - I'm sorry, I just don't believe it."

Reuters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in