Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Ferrari unbeatable in Magny-Cours

21 Jun 2008
Ferrari unbeatable in Magny-Cours qualifying
Kimi Raikkonen took Ferrari’s 200th pole position on Saturday as he and team mate Felipe Massa dominated qualifying for the French Grand Prix. Others may have set the practice pace, but when it mattered the red cars had a small but crucial margin over McLaren in the final sector. Raikkonen put in a lap of 1m 16.449s compared to Massa’s 1m 16.490s.

Lewis Hamilton was third despite admitting to making mistakes on the exit to Turn Seven on each of his fast laps. His best time was 1m 16.693s which dislodged Renault’s Fernando Alonso (1m 16.840s) and Toyota’s Jarno Trulli (1m 16.920s), but the Englishman will start 13th when his ten-place grid penalty from Montreal is taken into account. He must, incidentally, run the same fuel load as that with which he qualified, even though he starts outside the top 10.

Heikki Kovalainen was sixth fastest with 1m 16.944s in the second McLaren, which may have been running heavier.

BMW Sauber had a disappointing time, with Robert Kubica only seventh fastest on 1m 17.037s and Nick Heidfeld 12th on 1m 15.786s.

Both Red Bulls made the top 10, with Mark Webber just shading late Q2 improver David Coulthard, 1m 17.233s to 1m 17.426s. Finally, Timo Glock rounded it out with 1m 17.596s for Toyota.

Coulthard’s late jump prevented Renault’s Nelson Piquet from qualifying in the top 10 for the first time, but the young Brazilian will start 10th after Hamilton’s penalty is applied. Behind Heidfeld, Q2 also weeded out the Toro Rosso of Sebastian Vettel and Sebastien Bourdais, which showed strong improvement over recent form. The German was on the pace all weekend, and lapped in 1m 15.816s. The Frenchman, on his home ground of course, was close behind on 1m 16.045s. The final faller in that session was Nico Rosberg, who couldn’t push his Williams to better than 1m 16.235s. He, like Hamilton, drops 10 places because of Montreal.

Kazuki Nakajima lapped his Williams FW30 in 1m 16.243s and thus failed to get through Q3 (in which Rosberg just made it with 1m 16.085s), then came the Hondas of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello (1m 16.306s and 1m 16.330s) and the Force Indias of Giancarlo Fisichella and Adrian Sutil (1m 16.971s and 1m 17.053s).

The provisional grid in full:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari
2. Felipe Massa, Ferrari
3. Fernando Alonso, Renault
4. Jarno Trulli, Toyota
5. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren
6. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber
7. Mark Webber, Red Bull
8. David Coulthard, Red Bull
9. Timo Glock, Toyota
10. Nelson Piquet, Renault
11. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber
12. Sebastian Vettel, Toro Rosso
13. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren
14. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso
15. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams
16. Jenson Button, Honda
17. Rubens Barrichello, Honda
18. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India
19. Adrian Sutil, Force India
20. Nico Rosberg, Williams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Kovalainen penalised for blocking
Sat 21 Jun, 04:46 PM

Heikki Kovalainen will move five places down the French Grand Prix grid.

The McLaren driver qualified just sixth at the Magny-Cours circuit on Saturday, but stewards adjudged that he should be penalised for travelling too slowly on an in-lap and holding up Mark Webber.

Both McLaren drivers were penalised for a similar infringement at the close of qualifying in Malaysia earlier this year.

The five place penalty puts Kovalainen tenth on the grid, three places ahead of team-mate Lewis Hamilton, who was penalised for his Montreal crash two weeks ago.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '99 2.3L Kompressor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately, McLaren Mercedes has quite a "hill" to climb tomorrow. I think we will just have to be happy if both McLaren drivers just get up nicely into the points and limit the damage that Ferrari is in position to inflict Think positive, think positive, think positive
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Massa wins in France as Raikkonen hits trouble

22 Jun 2008
Massa wins in France as Raikkonen hits trouble
Felipe Massa took the lead of the drivers’ championship after a decisive victory for Ferrari at Magny-Cours on Sunday. The Brazilian trailed team mate Kimi Raikkonen for the first 38 of the 70 laps, but moved ahead decisively as the Finn’s F2008 developed an exhaust problem. The latter cost Raikkonen the win, but nobody else ever got close enough to the red cars for this to be a problem to the team.

Jarno Trulli might have been able to catch Raikkonen, but had his hands full fending off a strong late-race challenge from McLaren’s Heikki Kovalainen. The Finn nearly squeezed by on the penultimate lap, but as the Toyota moved over they briefly rubbed wheels and Kovalainen went over a chicane and had to concede his challenge. It gave Toyota their first podium since 2005.

Behind them, Robert Kubica clung on for second place in the championship chase thanks to a fifth place finish, well ahead of the scrap for the final points between Mark Webber’s Red Bull and the Renault drivers. When Fernando Alonso slid wide lapping Giancarlo Fisichella with three laps left, Nelson Piquet moved ahead of his team leader and was hounding Webber by the flag in a drive that gave him his first championship points and might arguably have saved his career.

It was a disastrous afternoon for McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton, who had worked his way up to ninth place when he had to serve a drive-through penalty on the 13th lap after the stewards adjudged him to have gained an advantage on the opening lap by going over a chicane to overtake Sebastian Vettel. The Englishman finally finished 10th, behind David Coulthard’s Red Bull.

Timo Glock hung on for Toyota to 11th place despite Vettel’s challenge for Toro Rosso, while Nick Heidfeld was a disappointing 13th in the second BMW Sauber.

Rubens Barrichello, who started from the back of the grid after a late gearbox change, was the first lapped runner in 14th, his Honda heading home the battling Williams drivers Kazuki Nakajima and Nico Rosberg. Sebastien Bourdais was 17th for Toro Rosso ahead of Giancarlo Fisichella and Adrian Sutil in their Force Indias. Jenson Button was the only retirement after his Honda made first-lap contact with Bourdais and sustained irreparable damage.

His success makes Massa the first Brazilian to lead the world championship since Ayrton Senna at Monaco in 1993. He has 48 points to Kubica’s 46 and Raikkonen’s 43. Hamilton trails with 38 after his second race without scoring points. Ferrari extend their lead in the constructors’ championship to a commanding 17 points over BMW Sauber
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
What the drivers said

struggled after a drive-through penalty.

Lewis Hamilton (McLaren - 11th)

"I feel cool. It's all good. Racing is racing. I'm still here, there's nothing you can do to get me out of it. I don't particularly feel I did anything. I went into the corner. I believe I was ahead on the outside and I couldn't turn in on the guy, otherwise we would have crashed so I took the outside line, lost the back on the marbles and went over the kerb. I continued because I don't believe I overtook him by going over the kerb, I actually took him before that.

"I kept pushing. There's nothing you can do that can distract me. You can keep on giving me penalties and whatever you want to do and I'll keep battling and try and come back with a result. I did everything I needed to do, I stayed out of trouble and drove what I thought was a fair race. We just missed the points, so that's three races now without scoring points but there's still 10 races to go."

Felipe Massa (Ferrari - winner)

"It was fantastic. I didn't expect that. Today we had an element of luck because of [Raikkonen's damaged] exhaust. I think we are going in the right direction. I was very concerned [by the brief spell of rain]: sometimes there were some drops and all of a sudden the track was not the same anymore. At the end of the race it was not raining hard enough for us to change tyres. We are still in the middle of the championship and we have a lot of races to go. We have to keep scoring points even if it is not possible to win."

Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari - 2nd)

"I was on pole and leading quite easily and then I had problem with the car. That happens sometimes. We were still lucky to finish the race and score eight points. On the last couple of laps the car almost stopped a few times. Two more laps and we would have not finished the race: so even if it's disappointing not to win I still took eight points and I am in a more confident position in the championship."

Jarno Trulli (Toyota - 3rd)

"What a great result and a great weekend by the whole team. We were pushing really hard because we wanted to dedicate this result to [recently deceased] Ove Andersson, who has done so much for Toyota Motorsport. Today was a great race, hard and tough. We had a good pace, even if we had to battle with some cars that were quicker than us. When the rain came at the end I had to take care because it's always difficult to judge how bad it is when you're in front. But I got back into a rhythm and had a wheel-to-wheel fight with Heikki, just like in go-karts. The car is much more competitive and everyone is motivated. Things are moving on."

Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren - 4th)

"Given yesterday's grid penalty, this was a very good result. It also shows that we had a great strategy to be able to come from 10th on the grid to fourth at the finish. During the first stint I lost a lot of time trying to get past slower cars, but after that I was able to overtake, build a cushion and close the gap to the guys in front. The car felt fantastic throughout the whole race. During the closing laps, I found myself behind Jarno and tried everything I could to overtake him, but I just couldn't quite make it. He defended third place very well, so well done to him for that."

Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber - 5th)

"We didn't score as many points as we wanted to here in Magny-Cours. Over the whole weekend we tried to minimise the problems we had, and we knew the race would be decided on the first lap. At the start I tried to overtake Jarno Trulli, but did not manage it. I tried again at turn 5 on the outside, but it did not work out. In the end I have to say I am pretty happy. I finished fifth, only two seconds away from the podium. We now have to analyse what happened here and see how we can improve for the next race."

Mark Webber (Red Bull - 6th)

"It's good for the team to get some more points today. It was a tough week in the build-up to this race, in terms of effort from the factory and the boys at the track, and three points is not to be sniffed at. Toyota had a strong race today, but we'll have more in the future. My start wasn't great, but my first stint wasn't too bad in terms of pace. I was trying to keep up with Fernando as I knew he was short and I put in some laps that were right on the edge before the first stop. On my out lap I knew I was still under pressure from others who were going a bit longer and jumped the kerbs a bit hard when I was on fresh tyres with heavy fuel. I had a big moment, although I managed to save it. I then settled in behind Fernando again, but his strategy didn't work out as well, which was good for us."

Nelson Piquet (Renault - 7th)

"It's the first time that everything has passed off without any problems for me. The car and the team's strategy worked well and I was able to score my first couple of points today. I am happy and I hope that we can continue like this for the rest of the season."

Fernando Alonso (Renault - 8th)

"I don't think the strategy was bad, but you need to have race pace and be able to run fast enough, otherwise it doesn't matter if you have a good or a bad strategy. We were a second slower than our direct rivals and that's too much. We couldn't find the right map for the start and I lost a few places. A podium finish was up to us, and if we did well we could have achieved it. We didn't do well and we didn't get it. We are fighting against cars that are very superior to ours and there's nothing to do. [On being passed late on by team-mate Nelson Piquet Jr:]The backmarker, a Force India, didn't see me and moved to the outside and I moved to the inside to avoid it and I overshot the corner. But one or two points won't change my life."

David Coulthard (Red Bull - 9th)

"I'm disappointed that from a good grid position I lost three places at the start, two off the line and one when Kovalainen passed me round the outside into turn five. I found the balance on the prime tyres wasn't as good as expected in the cooler conditions and the option was performing better than we thought. That was different from what we found the other day in practice, but some races go for you and some don't."

Timo Glock (Toyota - 10th)

"That was a difficult day for me. I made a good start, the car felt good for the first stint and I was able to push hard. But after the pitstop I struggled to maintain the same pace because I had some tyre graining and I then had major understeer. That meant the car was sliding around for much of the race. It didn't work out for us in terms of strategy either. I lost ground at each of the pitstops and in the end we just dropped out of the points."

Sebastien Vettel (Toro Rosso - 12th)

"I think we can be proud of ourselves because we had a very strong race. We started and finished P12, but we were in a part of the pack that included McLaren and BMW. I think we did a fantastic job of keeping ahead of one BMW simply because we had better pace. We were not so lucky in terms of traffic and I would have liked the rain to come and help us a bit in the last fifteen laps but unfortunately it only arrived fifteen minutes after the finish.

Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber - 13th)

"I had a day to forget, finishing down in 13th place despite no apparent problems. It is certainly a disappointing result: I lost two positions right at the start and could not get them back. Now we will concentrate on next week's test in Silverstone and the forthcoming race there."

Rubens Barrichello (Honda - 14th)

"It was in many ways a great race today, just with a difficult car. At least we were able to progress up the field and make a fight of it. As we expected, the car was slightly better in race trim and with a good strategy and great pitstops we were able to improve on my starting position and challenge. However there is no escaping the fact that this has been a painful weekend for us. We have a lot of hard work ahead at the test in Silverstone next week where we aim to improve the competitiveness of the car for the next few races with some new developments."

Kazuki Nakajima (Williams - 15th)

"It was a difficult race for us. We decided to go for a two-stop strategy, which was the best direction to take under the circumstances. All weekend we've been suffering with a lack of pace and that hurt us during the race. We couldn't have done much better today."

Nico Rosberg (Williams - 16th)

"In Canada I was fighting the Ferraris and the BMWs, and here I was fighting at the back of the pack - it's incredible, and not a very nice feeling. I thought I would be able to fight a bit more. I was giving it my all as usual, but the car simply didn't have the speed and it was very difficult. I am now looking to score some points at Silverstone - at least I won't have a grid penalty there."

Sebastien Bourdais (Toro Rosso - 17th)

"As soon as Nakajima, who was on a one-stop, got ahead of me at the start, when my engine bogged down a little bit, it compromised my race. I lost touch with the pack ahead and then I had to let Raikkonen past, but as he was in difficulty, I was actually pulling away from him, but I still had waved blue flags, which I thought was a bit harsh, so I lost around three seconds letting him by and then more time behind him."

Giancarlo Fisichella (Force India - 18th)

"Our target for today's race was to get to the end and we did, so I am pleased as we have not finished the last three races. We had more reliability from the car but the pace was not as good as we would have liked at times. It was better than yesterday, but we need a step forward to move on. I'm looking forward to the Silverstone test now where we have some new parts that should deliver some more improvements."

Adrian Sutil (Force India - 19th)

"We have had some better races this year. It was a bit frustrating. Both myself and Giancarlo had a very aggressive strategy to try to make up some more places in the race, but we also needed to have some luck. Unfortunately nothing happened in the race to other people so I often had to move over to let cars on the lead lap go past and lost my rhythm."

Jenson Button (Honda - retired)

"Going out of the race so early is a disappointing end to what has been a tough weekend for us. I got a good start and was alongside Bourdais. I thought he was going to turn in at turn one and close the door so I pulled in behind him and then unfortunately hit him in the rear as everything slowed down for the corner. The front wing must have been loose as a result of the impact as it dislodged itself when I went over the kerbs in the last chicane and got stuck under the front of the car. We replaced the nose but the bargeboards had been pulled off and the car had become undriveable so I had to retire. It's my home grand prix next and we have a busy programme at the Silverstone test next week to prepare, so we will stay positive and keep looking forward."

Eurosport
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
I thought McLaren had a very unfortunate weekend - two very questionable and significant penalties. Even the ITV commentator commmented that McLaren seem to be on a much tighter leash than any other team in terms of results from investigation.

Andrew.

...oOo...

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

Previous:
2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I think Hamiltons penalty for missing the red light, and crashing into a stopped race car was deserved. The same counts for Rosberg.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
I think f1 is marked cards for who's gonna win at the end of the year..........just by looking at Hamilton's penalty, I can see there's a Ferrari pressure to make massa the champion this year........on one side there's a very poor F-Indy or whatever the hell the name is........on the other, f1 politics running.......you know what, gonna walk my dog, see my movies and get my benz and go for a ride, f those guys man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Please pass the bong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in