Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Teams pile pressure on Mosley
Teams pile pressure on Mosley
Eurosport - Thu, 03 Apr 16:54:00 2008
Leading Formula One car manufacturers have called into question Max Mosley's ability to continue as president of the sport's governing body after a sex scandal.
More StoriesMosley consults lawyers over 'racist sex scandal'
Mosley to stay away from Bahrain GP
Mosley, who has said he will stay at the helm of the International Automobile Federation, showed no sign of changing his mind, however.
Mercedes, BMW, Honda and Toyota all issued statements critical of Mosley's position after Britain's News of the World Sunday tabloid detailed how he had paid for sex with prostitutes in what was depicted as a Nazi-style orgy.
"Toyota Motorsport does not approve of any behaviour which could be seen to damage Formula One's image, in particular any behaviour which could be understood to be racist or anti-Semitic," the Japanese carmaker said.
"Senior figures within any sport or business, including motorsport, must adhere to high standards of behaviour.
"When all the facts are known, it will be for the FIA to decide whether Mr Mosley has met the moral obligations which come with the position of FIA President."
Mosley, who has blamed a 'covert' operation against him and is taking legal action against the newspaper, apologised to all national FIA clubs and bodies in a letter on Tuesday but said he would not stand down.
He also denied any "Nazi connotation to the matter", as reported by the newspaper.
German manufacturers BMW and Mercedes, who partner McLaren, issued a joint statement before Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix making clear that the scandal was not simply a personal matter.
"The content of the publications is disgraceful," they declared. "As a company, we strongly distance ourselves from it.
"This incident concerns Max Mosley both personally and as president of the FIA, the global umbrella organisation for motoring clubs," they added.
"Its consequences therefore extend far beyond the motor sport industry. We await a response from the relevant FIA bodies."
Mosley said in a statement: "Given the history of BMW and Mercedes Benz, particularly before and during the Second World War, I fully understand why they would wish to strongly distance themselves from what they rightly describe as the disgraceful content of thesepublications," he said.
"Unfortunately, they did not contact me before putting out their statement to ask whether the content was in fact true.
"No doubt the FIA will respond to them in due course as I am about to respond to the newspaper in question."
Honda said senior figures in sport and business had to maintain the highest standards of conduct.
"The Honda Racing F1 Team is extremely disappointed by recent events surrounding Mr Mosley and we are concerned that the reputation of Formula One and all its participants is being damaged," their statement said.
"We request that the FIA gives this matter careful consideration and reaches an immediate decision in the best interests of F1 and Motorsport."
There was no immediate comment from champions Ferrari and Renault.
The German and Japanese car companies were previously united in the Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association (GPMA) which clashed with Mosley repeatedly while threatening to set up a rival series before a deal was reached.
Mosley said on Tuesday that he had received considerable support from within the FIA and motor sport "suggesting that my private life is not relevant to my work and that I should continue in my role.
"I am grateful and with your support I intend to follow this advice."
The 67-year-old, whose late father Oswald was the founder of the pre-war British Union of Fascists, had planned to be present at Sunday's race at Sakhir but is now not attending.