Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

F1 2008 - Sepang events prompt re-think of rules

677 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  EvoGuy 
#1 ·
F1 2008 - Sepang events prompt re-think
Eurosport - Mon, 24 Mar 22:46:00 2008
Moves are already afoot to ensure that the events during qualifying for the Malaysian Grand Prix do not occur again.

More StoriesRaikkonen wins Malaysian Grand Prix
More motorsport news
Nick Heidfeld (pictured) and Fernando Alonso complained that the fuel-conserving McLaren drivers on Saturday ruined their final flying laps in Sepang, and the stewards agreed, but it is also undoubtedly the case that the incident was extremely dangerous.

"It is a disaster that the rules allow such a thing," said Williams driver Nico Rosberg.

It is believed that the proposed solution to the situation, that has been sparked by the tweaked qualifying format this year, is to impose a maximum time limit for drivers to complete their slowing-down laps.

The pitwall timing monitors have often recorded drivers as having stopped on track, so slow have they been making their way back to parc ferme after qualifying.

It is understood that the new rule, also applying to the procedure whereby cars form up on the dummy grid before a race, could be introduced on the grounds of safety by race director Charlie Whiting as quickly as the forthcoming Bahrain Grand Prix next month.

The Spanish newspaper Diario AS asked Alonso, who like Heidfeld was held up at Sepang, about the possible rule tweak.

"I don't know, that might be a solution," he said.

"But there were six or seven cars (going slowly) in that part of the track, and with five of them I had no problem.

"It is the responsibility of the drivers to get off the racing line," the Renault driver added.

F1 Live / Eurosport

See less See more
#3 ·
Hamilton penalty sees calls for change

Hamilton penalty sees calls for change
Eurosport - Wed, 26 Mar 02:08:00 2008
Formula One's governing body faced calls to modify qualifying procedures for safety reasons after McLaren's Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen were penalised in Malaysia at the weekend.

More StoriesRaikkonen wins Malaysian GP
Championship leader Hamilton and his team mate were demoted five places on the starting grid at Sepang for impeding rivals when they slowed to save fuel after completing their final qualifying laps.

The rules have changed this season, preventing the 10 drivers who take part in the third and final session from refuelling between the end of Saturday's qualifying and the race on Sunday.

The final session has also been shortened by five minutes, allowing enough time for each driver to do only two laps with new tyres.

The revised format has raised safety concerns with drivers slowing to save fuel immediately they finish while some others are still at full speed.

"I clearly don't like the dangers implicit in this situation," said BMW Sauber team boss Mario Theissen.

"The speed differentials are so great that this is a problem which we need urgently to resolve, hopefully by the next race in Bahrain."

Williams technical director Sam Michael expressed similar concerns.

"I am sure it will come up in the team managers' meeting because it was a bit too close," he told the autosport.com. "The speed differential was massive."

BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld and Renault's double world champion Fernando Alonso complained after Saturday's qualifying that their final flying laps had been slowed by drivers cruising round in front of them.

"I think it is because this year's rules of Q3 (final qualifying) being shorter, the people finish the timed lap in a different time and different position," said Alonso.

"They (the McLaren drivers) finished their timed lap a little bit earlier than us, but for me I am sure it was the worst thing," added the Spaniard.

"They are running at 60kph and we are at 300kph so it is too big a difference in speed and a little bit dangerous."

Poland's Robert Kubica, who finished second in Sunday's race for BMW Sauber, said the solution would be to impose a maximum lap time for cars heading back to the pits after qualifying similar to that in force when drivers do the formation lap before the race.

"On the way to the grid, we have a limit in time," said Kubica. "It would be better to have the same rule in qualifying."

Reuters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.