Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Kovalainen admits he was not ready for F1

Kovalainen admits he was not ready for F1
Thu 21 Feb, 03:41 PM

Heikki Kovalainen admits he was not ready for Formula One twelve months ago, but has now set his sights on beating his highly rated new team-mate, Lewis Hamilton.

The Finn had an appalling debut Grand Prix in Melbourne last year with Renault, but will return to Australia one year on hoping to give title protagonist Hamilton a run for his money at McLaren.

"I will do everything I can to beat him," Kovalainen is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail. "I don't think I was physically and mentally ready last year. I hadn't prepared well enough. But I've already changed things to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Kovalainen insists that he is fully comfortable at the wheel of his new mount, the Mercedes-powered MP4-23; a car with which Hamilton is hoping to improve on his runner-up spot in the 2007 drivers' championship.

"I'll be turning up for the first Grand Prix in Melbourne in a car I feel fully comfortable in and know exactly how to set up," he said.

"The increased confidence should enable me to have a good race," the Finn added.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure his right to a certain extend, but he was at the top in GP2 so therefore had enough racing experience. I think everyone needs some time to adjust to F1, some more than others!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree Evo. He certainly matured alot over the course of last year.

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: