Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Indy hoping for F1 return

Indy hoping for F1 return
Fri 30 Nov, 08:28 AM

An official of F1's former US Grand Prix venue at Indianapolis is hopeful the sport will one day return.

Contrary to the desire of many teams, manufacturers and sponsors, America does not feature on the 2008 calendar after Bernie Ecclestone and Indianapolis Motor Speedway CEO Tony George did not agree a deal for a contract beyond this year.

But Joie Chitwood, the circuit's President, told the New York-based news service Bloomberg that he would not rule out more US Grand Prix at Indy in the future.

"I think that Formula One will come back, I really do," he said. "There's nothing definitive but I think there has been some dialogue."

"It's (a matter of) coming up with the right plan so everybody can benefit from it," he added.

Chitwood said the famous venue spent a lot of money to accommodate Ecclestone's series prior to the first race in 2000.

"We were disappointed when it went away. For us, the goal is to see if we can get them to come back at some point," he added.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I talked to Chitwood a couple of months ago on another subject but this came up and he seems very earnest that they are trying to get it back.

However the thing that seems interesting to me is that the split was over money. BUT, the city of Indy was prepared to kick in big bucks [much like for a Super Bowl] to keep the race. Tony George apparently just doesn't want those financial connections.

Watching George's foray into Rolex GrandAm racing however, I would not be surprised to see an endurance race at the track before we get F1 back.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: