Doors closing on indecisive Alonso - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Doors closing on indecisive Alonso

Doors closing on indecisive Alonso

9 November 2007

Madrid - Alone at the top. This is where Formula 1 double world champion Fernando Alonso seems to be making precious little efforts to avoid being, as the driver, recently freed from his contract at McLaren, has been taking his sweet time in committing to an outfit for next season.

On Thursday Williams and Toyota closed their doors as possible new homes for the Asturian, as Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima were announced as drivers for the former, Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock for the latter.

The only two remaining options available for Alonso would be at teams Red Bull and Renault, although Red Bull looks improbable as the team will probably re-sign David Coulthard and Mark Webber.

And at Renault, where Alonso won world titles in 2005 and 2006, patience may be wearing a bit thin.

The Tuesday deadline set by Renault manager Flavio Briatore for signing a contract for 2008 came and went without a peep from the Alonso camp.

The waiting stretched into a third day Thursday, although Renault cannot afford to let Alonso drag his feet much longer.

"If I haven't announced anything it's because nothing has been closed," said Carlos Ghosn Renault president, not without a touch of irritation.

And now it would appear that Renault may have more on its mind than just solidifying its ranks for next season. Yesterday the FIA announced that it will summon Renault to a spying hearing in early December for information discovered in McLaren's own spying trial in September.

In the September hearing, McLaren lawyers and team boss Ron Dennis revealed to FIA authorities that a former staff member had allegedly taken several CDs worth of data to the Renault team, which affected the period between September 2006 and October 2007 - a timeframe which includes the final four races of 2006 when Renault won the drivers' and constructors' titles as well as this year's entire season, during which they didn't win a race.

The information on the CDs supposedly dealt with the layout and critical dimensions of the McLaren car, together with details of the McLaren fuelling system, gear assembly, oil cooling system, hydraulic control system and a novel suspension component used by the 2006 and 2007 McLaren F1 cars.

The charges prompted an investigation by the sport's governing body, which found enough evidence to summon Renault representatives to Monaco on December 6 to decide whether "unauthorized possession" of confidential documents took place.

Although Briatore told a news conference at the Belgian Grand Prix in September that the case was raised by McLaren "to create confusion" while it was being probed, the tactic seems to have worked with Renault as next racing team to take the hot seat.

Despite the new developments, Briatore still seemed unaffected. "We told the FIA what we had, so there's no problem," he said. "I don't know what [Ron] Dennis is referring to; he's throwing stones a bit everywhere. We are calm, no problem at all."

Regardless of hearings, racing teams that need logistics to be settled and sponsorship dollars to start rolling in cannot wait forever to sign contracts, even if it is for the best driver Spain has ever produced.

And as the plot thickens for Alonso, many wonder if the controversial driver will return from one team docked all of its constructor's points in a spying scandal to his former that risks the same fate? Or will he do what many have been quietly whispering about behind the scenes - take a year off?

Doors closing on indecisive Alonso, Spanish News, Spain, Expatica

If push comes to shove and he takes the year off, what does he hope, that Todt is finally out of Ferrari, I just donot see him joining Ferrari if JT is still there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 01:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is always Nascar

Kirill
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Alonso is going to cry his pants off because he passed on Toyota! He's just too big of a sissy and didn't want the challenge! I think Toyota is going to come on strong next year.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
I like the wording of that... "a year off".

That means retirement right? How does a driver take a year off in such a competitive environment and think he can just walk back into any team.

Andrew.

...oOo...

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

Previous:
2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astin View Post
I like the wording of that... "a year off".

That means retirement right? How does a driver take a year off in such a competitive environment and think he can just walk back into any team.
I speculate that for some reason Alonso thinks he has a lock on Kimi's position in 2009. If Ferrari and Kimi grow any closer than what they are now I think Alonso will be very disappointed. The only reason Ferrari would give any thought to signing Alonso over Kimi is the size of the paycheck cut. But why pay less for someone who you cannot trust.......
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:34 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post
there is always Nascar
That's funny Kirill.
Perhaps Alonso is considering the end result of Renault's current spy scandal.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
That's funny Kirill.

With some of the evidence reported so far piling up against the frenchies, it seems the Bull maybe his only choice for 1 year......
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post
there is always Nascar
Please, I'm trying to keep lunch down!

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
I speculate that for some reason Alonso thinks he has a lock on Kimi's position in 2009. That's the rumor, no Kimi, NP Jr. team mateIf Ferrari and Kimi grow any closer than what they are now I think Alonso will be very disappointed. J Todt hasn't been wrong yet.The only reason Ferrari would give any thought to signing Alonso over Kimi is the size of the paycheck cut. But why pay less for someone who you cannot trust.......
A former FA fan. KR will be a multi year champ.

'13 MINI Cooper Clubman S-daily driver
'84 CD-weekender!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
That's funny Kirill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
With some of the evidence reported so far piling up against the frenchies, it seems the Bull maybe his only choice for 1 year......
It would be a laugh if he went back to Renault only to have them, given some sort of penalty next year.

Oh, if that happened and you were a fly on Ron's wall when he heard that news, wouldn't it be a "moment"

Andrew

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in