Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hamilton to move to Switzerland

Hamilton to move to Switzerland
Eurosport - Tue, 30 Oct 15:16:00 2007
British Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton has decided to move to Switzerland in an attempt to live a more secluded life following his massive upsurge in popularity.

The personal life of Hamilton, who came within a whisker of winning the drivers' championship, has come under scrutiny from the media during his rookie debut with McLaren this season - and fans will not leave him alone.

"Over there people don't come up to you, they leave you alone and give you space," Hamilton, 22, told the BBC. "You lose your ability to go places.

"You don't understand what that means until you get there and you really struggle to lead a normal life. When you come home and everybody knows you, it makes it so much harder to do normal things.

"I can't go to the cinema. I go to the bathroom in a petrol station and people come in there for autographs."

Hamilton said that his decision was not based on the fact that he would pay less tax in Switzerland.

"I'm going to a country that I don't know - but it's very exciting," he added.

Ironically Stevenage Borough Council, where he grew up, recently announced that it would name a street after him.

Eventual championship winner Kimi Raikkonen and Hamilton's McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso also live in Switzerland.

Jonathan Symcox / Eurosport
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hamilton selects luxury pad in Geneva

Hamilton selects luxury pad in Geneva
Thu 01 Nov, 09:00 AM

Lewis Hamilton has selected Geneva for his new Swiss residence, a newspaper on Thursday claims.

The Swiss daily Le Matin said Hamilton, McLaren's 2007 runner-up, will within two weeks sign a lease on a luxury three-bedroom apartment with a view of Lake Geneva.

Hamilton's new pad also overlooks the Rade, which is Geneva's harbour, Le Matin added.

Swiss resident Dominique Oberegger told the newspaper that he met with Hamilton's father Anthony at Monza last month, and suggested the apartment in Luins.

Father and son subsequently travelled to Switzerland and 'found it agreeable' before they went out for lunch.

"Lewis loved the fact that nobody recognised him and that they would not come and disturb him during the meal," Oberegger told Le Matin.

Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso, Nick Heidfeld, Michael Schumacher and Alain Prost also live in Switzerland, a renowned tax haven.

"Over there, people don't come up to you, they leave you alone," Hamilton, 22, told British reporters earlier this week.

"I'm going to a country that I don't know, but it's very exciting," he added.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Surprise Surprise, hopefully JimSmith does not attack him too much on this life changing move..........

Driver Hamilton reveals tax was behind his Swiss move

British Formula One star Lewis Hamilton has admitted he is moving to Switzerland to avoid the taxman.

Hamilton, 22, had claimed his decision to quit his home in England was due to the intense interest in his private life that has accompanied his meteoric rise during his rookie season with McLaren.

But, speaking on ITV1 chat show Parkinson, he conceded that the tax issue was a major factor in the move.

Presenter Michael Parkinson asked him: "Well, you say you are going to avoid the photographers and all that, but I will imagine that you have been advised to do so because of the tax also?"

Hamilton replied: "Also, that definitely adds to it."

Stevenage-born Hamilton, who finished as runner-up to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen in the Formula One drivers' championship, maintained that he also wants to escape media attention.

"I am just a normal person and it's quite an unreal experience. I have come from nowhere and been leapfrogged into being this superstar, and it's a really, really weird experience," he said.

"It was just the other night I went to my book signing with my dad and we drove home, got out of the car and got ambushed almost by some people that followed us all the way home.

"You sort of worry for a second, what do they want, and that's becoming more and more usual.

"I love my fans, I've got so many fans in the UK and all around the world, and it really makes a huge difference when I get home and I find I have all these letters.

"But I really want to live a normal life if I can, away from things and away from the race track. I just felt it was another way for me to do that.

"Also I'm going to learn French, that's something I've always wanted to do."

Elsewhere in the interview, Hamilton told how he was targeted by school bullies because he was so good at sport.

"I was smaller than the others and I was never afraid to speak my mind and when they were selecting football teams I was always one of the hardest players and one of the better ones.

"People didn't really like that and so I occasionally got picked on."

Hamilton revealed that he learned karate in order to be able to fight back if he was pushed around.

He said: "I wanted to feel stronger and feel I wasn't going to be pushed over by anyone, to stand my own ground.

"It came in good use actually, when I was karting, when I had some sort of spiteful fights with people and I was able to defend myself.

"I was a bit like Bruce Lee. I didn't have to hurt anyone, I could just move out of the way and let them fall over my leg or that sort of thing. I thought it was pretty neat."

AFP: Driver Hamilton reveals tax was behind his Swiss move
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: