Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Brazilian GP - Hamilton under FIA investigation

I don't believe it, here we go again.

Brazilian GP - Hamilton under FIA investigation
Eurosport - Fri, 19 Oct 19:08:00 2007
Lewis Hamilton's hopes of winning the Formula One world title have been potentially dealt a massive blow after he was put under investigation by FIA race stewards for breaking tyre rules in first practice for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

More StoriesSee how Hamilton topped second practice
The British world championship leader, 22, as well as two other drivers, are accused of using two sets of wet tyres on his McLaren during the 90-minute practice session, when only one is allowed under the sport's rules.

"Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button and Takuma Sato have used two sets of wet-weather tyres during the first free practice session which is breach of article 25.3 of the 2007 Formula One Sporting Regulations," the FIA technical delegate Herbie Blash said.

Although McLaren insisted that they had simply made a mistake, the FIA confirmed that Hamilton, who is bidding to become the youngest world champion in F1 history and the first rookie to be crowned, would have his case assessed at the end of the day's on-track action.

There is no fixed punishment in the FIA rulebook for breaking the tyre regulations, meaning that Hamilton could potentially be given a fine, or even a five, or ten place penalty on the grid for the race.

Hamilton will win the world title with second place in the Interlagos race, while third place would be enough as long as his McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso, who trails him by four points does not win.

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen is seven back and also stands a mathematical chance of being crowned champion.

Jamie O'Leary / Eurosport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a similar mistake to the one Ferrari made by starting Raikkonnen and Massa on intermediates instead of extreme wet tires earlier this month. As I recall, Ferrari had to pay the price with forced pit stops, and that damaged the result for both drivers.

All three offending parties need to be docked qualifying spots in order to be fair.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 05:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Black/Black/Black
More BS - Let them Race

Lets settle this on the track not in the courtroom.

Give them all a break.

Start them Heads up in the order of the points championship and letem rip.

None of these candy asses could hold a candle to Donny Schatz or Steve Kinser!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj
If he had been racing with 8 tyres on his car (ala Elf Tyrell 1970's with 6 tyres) then I would be amazed.

There are a number of no talent hackers in the FIA who never drove a car at those speeds and their sole purpose in life is to tell everyone how to race and what to do. The bottom line is that nobody comes to see the rules enforced on race day.

People dont talk about the great fairness outcome !

Modz ... enjoy the difference. www.benzmodz.com
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
$21000 fine..okies let's just get on with it...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 09:29 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here is another more lengthy article, look for the highlighted new rule for LH & DAD,

But Damn Dancing is in the blood - It's serious to the FIA but for me it's a joke

Lewis Hamilton has been warned by motor sport's governing body to curb his celebrations if he wins the world championship in the Brazilian grand prix here tomorrow. And last night he was called before the race stewards to explain why his McLaren-Mercedes team had broken the regulations by using two sets of wet tyres on his car during the first of yesterday's two practice sessions, which he completed with the day's fastest time.

Hamilton and McLaren were fined €15,000 (£10,500) and had one set of wet tyres removed from their allocation for today's qualifying session, which could make it harder for the Briton to secure pole position for tomorrow as he attempts to retain his lead of four points over his team-mate Fernando Alonso and seven points over Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.
Hamilton described the tyre breach as "quite a small mistake". He said: "We did a slow out lap on wet tyres, then came in and went out on another set. It was an easy mistake to make. A couple of other teams did it, yet we haven't gained anything by it." Honda and Super Aguri were fined for the same breach.

Ron Dennis, the McLaren team principal, admitted: "It's clearly a breach of a rule. We are trying so hard and maybe there's a bit too much tension in the team that has led to a silly mistake."

It emerged yesterday that before the Chinese grand prix a fortnight ago, at which the 22-year-old Hamilton could have won the title, his team were told by the FIA that he should not dance or hug his father in the aftermath of victory. The ruling remains in force this final weekend of the season.

Several years ago the FIA imposed a regulation, on safety grounds, to prevent winning drivers from stopping on their lap of honour to pick up their national flag. The new stipulation appears to have been created in order to avoid exacerbating the tensions between Hamilton and Alonso, the defending world champion, whose rivalry has degenerated sharply.

It will also be seen, inevitably, as a further development in the feud between Dennis and Max Mosley, the FIA president. Although Hamilton has won four grands prix in his debut season, and has led the series for the past six months, his way of celebrating victory has never been viewed as exceptional in any way and his conduct off the track has led Bernie Ecclestone to acclaim him as the sport's finest ambassador. His father, Anthony, has been his mentor throughout his career.

Questioned on the matter last night, Dennis referred to the "hypersensitive environment" in which the climax to the 2007 season is being played out, saying: "We're in a heightened atmosphere of compliance, let's put it that way."

Jean Todt and Flavio Briatore, respectively the principals of the Ferrari and Renault teams, denied all knowledge of the FIA's ruling, a de facto confirmation that it was aimed at Dennis's team. Last month McLaren were excluded from the constructors' championship and fined $100m (£50m) by the governing body after being found guilty of using confidential technical information passed on by a member of the Ferrari team.

Hamilton took to the track yesterday to face the seventh new circuit of his formula one career and handled the unfamiliar challenge of Interlagos with his customary aplomb. After taking it steadily in the morning's wet conditions, he set the fastest time in the afternoon, after the track had dried out.

"I enjoyed finally getting out on this amazing track," he said. "It was just a shame that the conditions were not great this morning and we couldn't do as much running as we would have preferred. However, it was good to get a feel for the track, and we made reasonable progress on the setup work and tyre comparison despite the cold conditions."

Alonso sat out the wet first session but was still upbeat after lapping only 1/10th of a second slower than Hamilton in the second session. "The session this afternoon was far better than this morning," he said. "By the afternoon the track had dried out and it was clear that the conditions were improving. I am looking forward to a competitive weekend."

Tyre penalty rattles rookie's charge for title | Motor sport | Guardian Unlimited Sport
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
What a bunch of baloney. I wonder if they would have said the same to Michael Schumacher, who certainly celebrated his wins.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 06:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
wots the problem with the FIA seriously..the FIA board IMO should be filled with ex drivers /team owners instead a bunch of lamearse power hungry corrput pieces of crap...they're trying hard to make F1 unattractive to the average joe...while i agree there should be a governing body, the politics have gotten out of hand in the last few years...F1's taking itself way too seriously...i hope Lewis does donuts and bring ron and his father on the podium and kick max mosley in the nuts if he wins on sunday..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesam View Post
wots the problem with the FIA seriously..the FIA board IMO should be filled with ex drivers /team owners instead a bunch of lamearse power hungry corrput pieces of crap...they're trying hard to make F1 unattractive to the average joe...while i agree there should be a governing body, the politics have gotten out of hand in the last few years...F1's taking itself way too seriously...i hope Lewis does donuts and bring ron and his father on the podium and kick max mosley in the nuts if he wins on sunday..

I would like to hear Mosley's 'Ouch.'
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
This is a bullshit penalty and as far as I'm concerned shows preferential treatment for Hamilton on the part of the FIA. As I already said, Ferrari made an illegal tire choice in Japan and was penalized with forced pit stops to install tires that comply with the regulations. But another example is Ralf Schumacher, who used an illegal tire on a *Thursday* practice run in 2005 at Monaco, and Ralf was penalized with a half second added to his time for qualifying.

I think Lewis Hamilton is a great talent, and will have a long and successful career in F1 racing. But if McLaren drivers continue to get preferential treatment from the FIA (not losing points from Stepneygate where cheating by the team was clearly established or by not having other rules violations held to the same precedent as other drivers) then he should have an asterix next to his name in the record books for this year. I can't wait to see what the kid's got for next year and I hope he'll be racing tooth and nail to the end of the season with Raikkonnen. But I just don't see how he could feel good about winning under these circumstances this year.

None of these guys, the great Michael Schumacher included, could hold a candle to Juan Manuel Fangio III.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in