Belgian GP - Alonso staying put at McLaren - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 10:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
While Mika tested slower than the current drivers, if he had weeks or months to prepare to get up to speed, much like MS, he could be back in form. Once he gets driving reflexes back up then it will competition reflexes and that will be the hardest part. But he has the skill set, much like MS to do so.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 11:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i really hope Rosberg or Sutil will replace dirty alonso...i can't believe wot he did!!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesam
i really hope Rosberg or Sutil will replace dirty alonso...i can't believe wot he did!!
We need experienced driver in that seat. Hamilton is not that good on setting up F1 car, Mika would be the best after MS (if Mika can get up to speed)

Kirill
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
While Mika tested slower than the current drivers, if he had weeks or months to prepare to get up to speed, much like MS, he could be back in form. Once he gets driving reflexes back up then it will competition reflexes and that will be the hardest part. But he has the skill set, much like MS to do so.
Mika has been chain smoking all the years since he last drove in F1. I can't see how he could overcome the damage done to his system and be able to be fit enough to perform well enough under the grueling race preparations and actual races.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill
He should be fired for using Ferrari's information. Problem is that backup driver Pedro de La rosa was a part of it as well.
I don't think Alonso should be fired for this, because I believe the whole team was in on it. The way that Alonso and de la Rosa discussed these things so casually shows that there was no fear of this information coming to light.

I think Alonso should be fired for attempting to blackmail Ron Dennis at Hungary by telling him "if you don't make me #1, I'll go public to the FIA with what I have". If someone who worked for me did that, they'd be out on their ass, no matter how badly I needed them.

I think Alonso is the worst kind of suck. He uses illegally obtained information to his advantage on the track, and then attempts to use the very information he used in order to blackmail his boss. If Alonso is really as good as he thinks he is, he should just drive the car and show us what he is capable of, instead of whining about how he thinks the team treats him compared to Hamilton.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon
I don't think Alonso should be fired for this, because I believe the whole team was in on it. The way that Alonso and de la Rosa discussed these things so casually shows that there was no fear of this information coming to light.

I think Alonso should be fired for attempting to blackmail Ron Dennis at Hungary by telling him "if you don't make me #1, I'll go public to the FIA with what I have". If someone who worked for me did that, they'd be out on their ass, no matter how badly I needed them.

I think Alonso is the worst kind of suck. He uses illegally obtained information to his advantage on the track, and then attempts to use the very information he used in order to blackmail his boss. If Alonso is really as good as he thinks he is, he should just drive the car and show us what he is capable of, instead of whining about how he thinks the team treats him compared to Hamilton.
I think Alonso knew that he is making evidence in his discussions with Pedro. You just don't go and ask for illegally obtained information in that format. On the other hand - Alonso is young and has no clue about corporate governance etc. It's probably hard to make a firing cause in "blackmail" attempt - nothing in these emails has been proven fake so far. But I think he should be fired for use of illegally obtained information - but than how do you decided what is illegally obtained and what is 'acceptable' spying like taking pictures of cars on track.

Kirill
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
What I don't get is why Alonso has not been penalised. It can more clearly be demonstrated that HE gained an advantage from the Ferrari information than it can be demonstrated that the McLaren team gained an advantage.

I belileve the FIA is really incompetent - the deal they offered the drivers to provide evidence against the McLaren team was wrong and shows the bias the investigators had against McLaren in the first place.

The investigation and the way it was conducted smells. I hope that there is a proper inquiry into this.

Andrew.

...oOo...

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

Previous:
2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Alonso's McLaren exit in motion

The wheels are now in motion for the early conclusion of Fernando Alonso's McLaren contract, according to reports.

The German daily Bild on Tuesday said the team's lawyers are now working on ending the deal, after Spaniard Alonso's relationship with McLaren reached a new low following the espionage affair and claims of lying and extortion in Belgium.

"Adios, Alonso!" Bild exclaimed.

The news brings a fresh perspective to team boss Ron Dennis' admission at Spa-Francorchamps that he is seeking "closure" after one of the most difficult seasons in his 40 year career in racing.

"Part of our closure will be to take all the controversy out of the team," the Briton said, adding that any variation to any driver contract for next year would be "by mutual agreement".

It is believed that Alonso will return to Renault, where under the guidance of his mentor Flavio Briatore he secured back to back titles in 2005 and 2006.

The 26-year-old's McLaren contract was to run to the end of 2008 and also included an option for a third year.

Alonso's McLaren exit in motion: Wheels24: Formula One: Wheels24
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:45 AM
~BANNED~

Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Red Bull downplays Alonso rumours

Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz has played down speculation that his outfit might have now joined the running to accept Fernando Alonso from McLaren next year.

With the Spaniard looking increasingly likely to switch camps at the end of the season, it was rumoured in the Spa-Francorchamps paddock that Ferrari was now looking to join Renault in bidding for the reigning world champion for 2008.

Alonso, 26, was then spotted entering and departing Red Bull's 'Energy Station' motor home in Belgium on Sunday morning, and in between met with team boss Christian Horner.

Red Bull, however, has already confirmed that David Coulthard and Mark Webber will be staying with the team for next year.

"We are completely clear. If we conclude a contract, we are loyal to that," billionaire team owner Mateschitz, 63, told the Austrian news agency APA.

Horner agrees that Coulthard alongside Webber, although the oldest pairing on the grid, is a "perfect fit" for the energy drink-owned Grand Prix team.

"We have one of he strongest driver combinations in formula one," the Briton insisted, "and we have not yet seen everything that they can do with us."

Also to APA, meanwhile, Alex Wurz advised observers not to expect an announcement to be made about his future with Williams at the upcoming Japanese grand prix.

The 33-year-old, who has struggled alongside Nico Rosberg this year, said a decision should be official "only in Shanghai or Brazil" but would not rule out speculation that he may retire.

Red Bull downplays Alonso rumours: Wheels24: Formula One: Wheels24
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: CL500, CL500, 190E 2.6, 420 SEC, 350 SL
Personally I'd be delighted to see Alonso leave McLaren.

I don't think he's really brought that much to the team, and has put in a lot of lacklustre performances including some desperately miscalculated attempts to impose himself on other drivers (not just Hamilton).

He would have been made aware of McLaren's driver philosophy before joining, i.e. no driver favouritism, and if he seriously thought he could convince Dennis otherwise, the only way to do it would be effective demolition of his team mate, forcing Dennis to back him for the title. That hasn't happened, and as many people have pointed out, there's a big whiff of sour grapes and spoilt child coming from his camp, simply because he is in a real battle with Hamilton.

No one man is bigger than the team, not even Schuey at Ferrari - he would have achieved precisely nowt without his team behind him. But one man can help drive a team forward to deliver what he wants - that's what Schuey did brilliantly - and if Alonso seriously believes that his behaviour and tactics are focusing his team around him, he needs to wake up.

I am really hoping that the team "fix" something on his car for the remaining races. They won't as they're too professional sometimes for their own good, but it would be galling to think of him winning after his displays of behaviour - plus I really don't think he's the best driver this year - on more occasions than not he's been comprehensively outdriven by Hamilton, Raikkonnen and Massa.

Grow up Fernando!!! And then go back to Renault please.

Current:
2002 (C215) CL500 (Batmobile), Obsidian Black, 60k miles
2000 (S210) E320 Wagon, Alexandrite Green, 140k miles
1990 (C126) 420 SEC (Bruce), Astral Silver, 112k miles
1978 (R107) 350 SL (Boabby), Signal Red w/ silver hardtop, 115k miles

SOLD:
2004 (W209) CLK270 CDI, 32k miles
2000 (W210) E240, 70k miles
1997 (C140) CL500, 134k miles
1991 (W201) 190E 2.6 Sportline, 133k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in