Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hamilton: "I could be jobless next week"

Hamilton: "I could be jobless next week"

Eurosport - Tue, 11 Sep 10:45:00 2007
McLaren's championship leader Lewis Hamilton recognises that Formula One's spy scandal could leave him out of a job in less than a week's time.

More StoriesItalian GP race results and highlights
The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) meets in Paris on Thursday to hear new evidence in a long-running saga over leaked Ferrari technical information that ended up at McLaren.

If found guilty of using the information to their advantage, something that was not proven at a first hearing in July, McLaren could be kicked out of this and next year's championship.

"If you sit down and think about it, I could have what I've worked for and what all the team have worked for, we could have it taken away from us," Hamilton told ITV at the Italian Grand Prix.

"And when you really think about that, you think `Wow' I could be out of a job next weekend and then what happens?

"It was just going so well and then you just get this big knife that cuts off your blood line," continued the 22-year-old British rookie, who leads double world champion team mate Fernando Alonso by three points.

While McLaren savoured their first one-two at Monza, Ferrari's home track, the hearing on Thursday hung heavily over the race.

McLaren started the day with a statement suggesting that the Italian authorities had deliberately tried to disrupt their preparations for the race by notifying senior team members before qualifying on Saturday that they were under legal investigation.

Hamilton, who finished second behind Alonso after both started on the front row, had total confidence in his team but his love of the sport had been tested.

"I never actually thought I'd be sitting here saying I hate something about Formula One, but the politics and people wanting to be bigger than others is just incredible," he added.

"I would say to you all that (team boss) Ron (Dennis) has always been very, very loyal to me, he has always given me the opportunity and he has always been such a great man to me. I have never had any reasons to not believe him.

"He is going through a time right now where I think some people are trying to bring him down and right now the best thing for me is to give him support."

The Briton also said just how much winning the title would mean to him.

"It probably means quite a lot more than it would to any other driver because it's my rookie year and I definitely didn't expect to be challenging for the world championship or leading it," he added.

"It would be great for us to win the constructors' championship and the drivers' championship just to show that, even with all those issues and problems, nothing can bring us down and that we are unstoppable."

Reuters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Probably McLaren PR & Legal Department working to steer public opinion

Kirill
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Now we need Lewis to say he can loose his drive because he is black and all these conspiracy is because Ferrari don't want to be beaten by black driver - and that will be enterteining for a while

Kirill
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
Being out of a job at mclaren wouldn't be too bad for lewis, he could move somewhere else and get paid a lot more.

Current Rides:
2007 R350 SWB
2005 CLK200 Kompressor
1989 MR2 Turbo

Gone but not forgotten:
1995 Skyline R33 GT-R V-Spec
1998 SLK230 Kompressor
2003 C180 Kompressor Sports Coupe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Someone needs to make sure that there is a person next to him 24/7 for the next month or so as it seems that worry worms are creeping in his head. Someone needs to be keeping him focused on HIS job and let the politics play out. Keep him away from media and silliness.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 AM
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: R107 300SL; 1990 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Someone needs to make sure that there is a person next to him 24/7 for the next month or so as it seems that worry worms are creeping in his head. Someone needs to be keeping him focused on HIS job and let the politics play out. Keep him away from media and silliness.
mcbear,

given the circumstances I think that both Hamilton and Alonso have been remarkably focussed on their driving and Monza was a case in point.

As to keeping out of the politics I agree with you but it becomes difficult when the FIA writes to you in a manner designed to intimidate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in