Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Season 2008 - Bourdais joins Toro Rosso

Season 2008 - Bourdais joins Toro Rosso
Eurosport - Fri, 10 Aug 12:43:00 2007
Sebastien Bourdais will make his Formula One race debut next year after signing for Scuderia Toro Rosso.

More StoriesDriver Profiles
The 28-year-old Frenchman, who is on course to land a record fourth straight ChampCar World Series title this year with Newman-Haas Racing, has tested for the team on numerous occasions this year.

And, after impressing the squad owned by Red Bull and Gerhard Berger, he has now been named as Sebastian Vettel's team-mate for 2008, ending a six-year wait for a crack at the championship.

"It has been a long time coming, but here we are!" said Bourdais, who looked set to graduate to F1 in 2003 with Arrows after landing the F3000 title a year earlier, but was denied the chance when the team folded.

"I would like to thank everyone at Red Bull for believing in me and giving me his long-awaited opportunity to race in Formula One.

"I must also thank Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing for letting me pursue my dream and allowing me to test for Scuderia Toro Rosso a few times this year."

Bourdais will become the first ChampCar champion to switch to Formula One since Juan Pablo Montoya joined Williams in 2001.

He will also become France's first entrant since Franck Montagny raced at Magny-Cours for Super Aguri last year.

Jamie O'Leary / Eurosport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I doubt he is going to be a title contender for 2008, Hopefully he understands this is may not be a good move money wise and doing it for the fun.

Kirill
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
F1 world will have another cry baby next year, good luck to all of them.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wish he was going to a better team.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi
I wish he was going to a better team.
Same here. IMO, Bourdais deserves a more competetive car.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
Same here. IMO, Bourdais deserves a more competetive car.
He does but it will be interesting to see how much he can get out of TR.

I have been very impressed with his driving at the ChampCar races that I have been to. Seems to really have focus and skill.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
No early debut for Bourdais
Mon 20 Aug, 04:04 PM

Toro Rosso co-owner Gerhard Berger has all but ruled out rumours that Tonio Liuzzi could be ousted before the end of the season.

The Faenza based team has already signed multiple Champ Car title winner Sebastien Bourdais to replace him in 2008.

But with other 2007 regular Scott Speed already ousted in favour of Sebastian Vettel, Austrian Berger told Auto Motor und Sport that the current line-up will almost certainly stay put for the final six races.

Asked about the possibility of bringing Bourdais into the STR line-up early, Berger said: "That would bring even more unrest into our current situation.

"Now is the time to stabilise the team again."

It should also be noted that Frenchman Bourdais, 28, is under firm contract to his American employer Newman/Haas/Lanigan for the balance of 2007, and fighting for a fourth consecutive title.

Tension, however, will no doubt colour the remainder of the Liuzzi-STR relationship, and Berger has praise only for the team's new recruits.

Referring to Vettel, he said: "He calls the factory each and every day and on the Monday after Hungary he was knocking on the doors at Faenza.

"It would never have occurred to Speed to do such a thing."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
see first translation regarding driver change

You've had two weekends without a grand prix so here is a handy Red Bull Dictionary to remind you what all those Press Release quotes really mean: a useful Red Bullshitometer to keep with you throughout the race weekend.

And don't blame the press officers, because you have to remember that the Press Release is the only thing they produce that their team bosses and the media, actually recognise as work!

"We have no plans to change any of our drivers in the near future."
Means: "We plan to change one of our drivers on Monday after the race."

"The car retired with an electrical failure."
Means: "The engine seized, threw a piston and con rod through the side of the block where it cut through the electrical wiring loom, causing an electrical failure."*
*If you run a customer engine, under no circumstances can you have an engine failure.

"We do not know what fuel loads the other teams were running in qualifying."
Means: "We are in deep trouble because we are slower than the others, but actually it's worse than that because we are much, much slower than them, as they have enough fuel to run ten laps more than us at the start of the race."

"But the car has very good pace in race trim, so we should be okay for the race."
Means: "Our car is just plain slow, but if we are stuck in the middle of the pack with no chance of overtaking, we can claim we had a competitive car and no one will know we are lying."

"We knew our car would struggle on this type of circuit."
Means: "Our car would struggle on any type of circuit made up of a tarmac road surface laid out with straights and corners."

"I have a very good relationship with my teammate."
Means: "I am comfortably quicker than my teammate."

"I have a good working relationship with my teammate."
Means: "I hate my team-mate. I call him my 'team-hate.' He can't even remember the names of his mechanics, he does hardly any testing, and yet he just turns up and drives the car and is quicker than me. He also has a much prettier girlfriend."

"A difficult first day of practice which saw us struggle to find the right balance on the car. We still need to complete our tyre comparison programme."
Means: "The car is a complete pig and the only balance I'm ever likely to find is the one in my bank account. As for the tyre choice, we'll toss a coin in the hotel bar tonight to decide which one to use."

"Next year, we should be able to challenge for race wins on a regular basis."
Means: "We said exactly the same thing last year, but hope no one will notice that we are repeating ourselves."

Of course, none of these comments refer to Red Bull Racing or Toro Rosso press releases, which are always honest, decent and truthful.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Another thing that is going to be funny is if Doornbos gets a seat at Williams and spanks him after getting snubbed at Red Bull. Robert is a good guy, I was in his pit box at Road America when he qualified 3rd. He was one happy camper. Too bad his race didn't go so well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
he'll def be faster than vettel, I hope he goes to williams at least by 2009. He's a great racer...but then again that's wot they said bout De Matta and Zanardi...i'm thinking maybe going from slick tires to grooved ones have a negative impact?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in