INDY -- Who is Going??? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tony george isn't getting one cent of my money. i've been going to montreal year-after-year, but cannot make it this year. other than that, i boycott the usgp until it moves out of that SOB's track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Send a message via MSN to bayhas Send a message via Yahoo to bayhas
why? whats wrong with the indy track?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayhas
why? whats wrong with the indy track?
Nothing wrong with the Indy track. It is a pretty good course. Obviously not Road America or Watkins Glen but it allows 150,000 people to see much action in a nice venue.

I think what Champ Car is talking about is that Tony George totally screwed up OpenWheel racing in the US for the past 15 years or so with his pulling IRL out of CART and all the politics that went into that brouhaha.

I agree with CC about how George hosed up OpenWheel in the US but in reality there was plenty of blame to go around. I was at a meeting with Chris Pook in Columbus back in 02 and they were rehashing some of the original reasons for the breakup and it was ego on all sides that tore that asunder.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'll be there...Rahal's got a suite at the end of the main straight again. I think Graham will be there but Bobby will be at Le Mans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2GP
I will be making my first trip to Le Mans. Leaving here this Thursday for the test day, then off to the South of France for a weeks vacation and back to Le Mans for the race.
I went last year for the first time and it was a hoot. You've got to find the Champagne tent...after a couple of crepes nothing like some bubbly to wash them down. When night finally falls (close to 11pm) it's great to see those brake rotors glowing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Le Mans.jpg (61.6 KB, 51 views)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Nothing wrong with the Indy track. It is a pretty good course. Obviously not Road America or Watkins Glen but it allows 150,000 people to see much action in a nice venue.

I think what Champ Car is talking about is that Tony George totally screwed up OpenWheel racing in the US for the past 15 years or so with his pulling IRL out of CART and all the politics that went into that brouhaha.

I agree with CC about how George hosed up OpenWheel in the US but in reality there was plenty of blame to go around. I was at a meeting with Chris Pook in Columbus back in 02 and they were rehashing some of the original reasons for the breakup and it was ego on all sides that tore that asunder.
pretty much sums it up. and i agree there was plenty of blame to go around, but reality is that tony george had many options other than 'splitting' the sport. as a race enthusiast, it pains me to see US open wheel racing in such shambles. it also pains me to see two sports car racing circuits. if some of these groups got their acts together, we might see a benz on one of these grids..... but egos, grudges, greed, and all that other nonsense is keeping common sense out of US auto racing....real racing.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ Car
pretty much sums it up. and i agree there was plenty of blame to go around, but reality is that tony george had many options other than 'splitting' the sport. as a race enthusiast, it pains me to see US open wheel racing in such shambles. it also pains me to see two sports car racing circuits. if some of these groups got their acts together, we might see a benz on one of these grids..... but egos, grudges, greed, and all that other nonsense is keeping common sense out of US auto racing....real racing.
I agree with the AMLS/GrandAm issue also. Back years ago I did some IMSA GTU racing on the West Coast before it became a full time driver operation and it was actually fun. My Military responsibilities kept me from fully enjoying it but by being stationed at Edwards on a weekday type assignment I was able to drive pretty much every weekend some track from Sears Point down to Laguna Seca, Riverside and Ontario. At that time the road racing had such potential it was shocking to see what happened as promoters started splitting off different subsets and finally nearly killed it for a decade. SCCA was about the only show in town for years.

I was at the Rolex at Daytona earlier this year and had strict marching orders from wifie not to approach Tony George with my opinions. Something about "not enought bail money".

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 03:49 PM

McBear, pm me if you want to meet on the infield mounds for a beer sometime during qualifying. I'll be there Fri-Sun.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi
McBear, pm me if you want to meet on the infield mounds for a beer sometime during qualifying. I'll be there Fri-Sun.
I don't think I will be there on Friday but will be on Saturday and Sunday. I will PM you with my cell and we can hook up on Saturday either near the timing tower or at the souvenir circus behind the museum. My tickets this year are at the Turn10 grandstand.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Sounds great!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Looks like gerkebi and I are going to hook up sometime on Saturday [at a time to be determined]. Now about...

Sunday Sunday Sunday

I usually get to the track around 9:30 and park across from Indy turn 2 in Lot3 parking. I tend to wander the outside shops and see if anything new is there and then head in around 11:00. Anyone going to be in the infield and want to hook up prior to the race? I will be setting in the Turn 10 Terrace for the race. Good shots of about 4 turns.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in