Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
One: McLaren in Cruise mode for movie

Formula One: McLaren in Cruise mode for movie
Sat 20 Jan, 3:12 AM

WELLINGTO (AFP) - A big-budget film is being planned about the life of McLaren Formula One founder Bruce McLaren with Hollywood star Tom Cruise at the head of the wish list to play the lead role.

McLaren, a New Zealand race driver and engineer, died in 1970 in a testing accident at the Goodwood circuit in England at the age of 33. He had by then laid the foundation for a dominant team in world motorsport.

"I was talking about who could play the part this morning with my daughter, Amanda, and I thought Tom Cruise would be a good choice," McLaren's widow Patty McLaren-Brickett said Saturday after plans for the movie were announced.

"He looks very similar to Bruce -- he is dark, he is the same height and has a similar build. He is the only person I thought of at the moment -- but he would be too expensive."

The movie is being co-produced by New Zealander Michael Garlick, a life-long fan of McLaren, and American Barrie Osborne, producer of blockbusters such as "Apocalypse Now", the "Matrix" series and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Osborne said that he was drawn into the project because McLaren's story was one worth telling.

The project is in its early stages with the script being discussed.

"We hope to finish it by the end of the year and filming to begin next year," Osborne said.

It would trace McLaren's struggle to overcome a hip disease which left him with a permanent limp, through his venture into motor racing as a teenager, building his first race car and on to the Formula One circus in the 60s.

In 1966 he formed Team McLaren, which went on to be the most successful team in world motor sport with victories in Formula One, the Indianapolis 500, Le Mans and Can-Am racing series and championships.

The Formula One team has won 11 world drivers' titles and eight constructor's Championships.

I was a kid when I saw Bruce McLaren race on the old Nuerburgring.
He was a great driver.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: