post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: R107 300SL; 1990 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=Corinthians]"Raikkonen is allegedly the fastest driver in F1"............are u nutz SSL ?????

Corinthians,

No, I am not. I started this thread last year and posed the question " can Kimi cut it" and have returned to the question following Raikkonen`s performances during the early races this year.

I have never thought that he was the fastest driver currently in F1 but this was and may remain the view of many who should know. If you have read all of my posts in this thread including the first one you will see that I have questioned whether Raikkonen has what it takes to be world champion. Yes he is fast enough but on past and current evidence he does not have the wherewithall to craft a Championship.

As you rightly point out Massa has completely outperformed him this year and I include the opening race in Australia which Kimi won.

As I have said here twice already Massa has had the good sense to listen and learn from a master and he has improved enormously over the past 14 months.
Raikkonen on the other hand has stood still if not gone backwards in terms of his driving ability largely I think because he is too proud and stubborn to believe that he can and will improve when he stops thinking he knows it all.

Confidence is everything and at the moment Raikkonen`s confidence must have taken a battering. The next couple of races will be very important for him but even if he can regroup I still believe he has a lot to learn if he is going to convert raw talent into ultimate success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
F - 1 experts believe in Raikonnens case, it has more to do with the characteristics of the car and tires.
The performance of the rookies vs the old hands is partly being attributed to the Bridgestone tires.
Massa has been running on Bridgestone for Years, and Hamilton last Year in GP 2.
Both Alonso and Raikonnen were on Michelin before, but Alonso has done a better job adapting.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
F - 1 experts believe in Raikonnens case, it has more to do with the characteristics of the car and tires.
The performance of the rookies vs the old hands is partly being attributed to the Bridgestone tires.
Massa has been running on Bridgestone for Years, and Hamilton last Year in GP 2.
Both Alonso and Raikonnen were on Michelin before, but Alonso has done a better job adapting.
Tuetone,

You have made these points in Kimi`s defence before and you may be right. Both he and Alonso are having to come to terms with the unfamiliar tyres and teamates who are established in the team. (in Hamilton`s case albeit in a different way). Alonso seems to be getting to grips quicker than Raikkonen.

Personally I think it`s a convenient excuse for Raikkonen and Eddie Irvine has also pointed out that he needs to pull his finger out.

Monaco really was nothing to do with tyres. He made a stupid mistake again.

I am only making observations based over a number of seasons now. As I said I wish Raikkonen well. The more top-notch drivers we have in F1 the better the racing is and the better the spectacle.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:35 AM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
I have followed Formuls One for about fourty years, and have seen some great drivers come and go.
I have been a diehard Schumacher fan for too long to be 100% behind any of the latest crop. Raikonnens interviews make a dialog with our pet hamster seem interesting, and Alonso starts whining and turns into a bad loser.
Hamilton has impressed so far, but we have yet to see him deal with adversity.
Kubica I like, even though like many others drivers, he has problems adapting to the new tires this season.
I still can't believe Sebastien Bourdais couldn't get a competitive ride in F - 1.
Catch you ar the races. Cheers
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
I have followed Formuls One for about fourty years, and have seen some great drivers come and go.

Catch you ar the races. Cheers
Me too. My first proper memory of motor sport was Moss` crash in `62. Clark and Senna are the ones for me.

I think we are in for an interesting twelve races. Ferrari will be back in the hunt this weekend and it`s good to see BMW,Renault and maybe Red Bull going at it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Formula does not disgrace itself in the US again.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I agree the horror F1 race in the US last year made Nascar seem like a better motorsport.

On a side note and shocking for an Aussie, I'm starting to loose my hope of Webber getting it together enough to be a winner.

Andrew

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&L's300SL
I agree the horror F1 race in the US last year made Nascar seem like a better motorsport.

On a side note and shocking for an Aussie, I'm starting to loose my hope of Webber getting it together enough to be a winner.
Andrew,

I know what you mean. Webbo always manages to pull out an amazing qualifying lap and in that respect he is similar to Trulli who does the same. Both have comprehensively beaten their team-mates in qualifying this year.

Neither seem able to translate that one lap brilliance into racing consistency. You have to feel sympathy for Mark though as he has never been given the chance to drive for a current top three team.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What I take from the races so far this year is that Ferrari are still adapting to their new team structure - new roles and new personnel. It doesn't all seem to be "humming" perfectly just yet.

But what Ferrari fans should be concerned about is that the rule changes for engines (lowering the rev limit) that should have improved reliablity have actually seen the opposite for Ferrari. They seem to be the only tier one team to have really gone backwards on reliability compared to last year. There's no doubt the lack of reliability has cost them championship points.

I don't wear the argument about tyre changes making it difficult for Alonso and Kimi. Good drivers - which both of them are - can adapt to their conditions. Since everybody is racing on the same rubber - and Ferrari have had bridgestone tyres for years and so have designed their car around their particular characteristics - then the playing field is level. The more likely influence on their performace is that both drivers changed teams and have taken time to adapt to new people, different car characteristics etc.

IMHO.

Andrew.

...oOo...

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

Previous:
2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Not sure I agree here. For example, would Schumacher been as successfull, had he been forced to change his driving style?
Down the page we had a thread comparing driving styles; 'Schumacher driving technique.'
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
what's important is the ability of a driver to adapt to his machine...schumacher is the kind that will win in a field of go karts or tractors...example is damon hill, he didnt do too badly when he was prost's team mate and had great battles with schuey in 94/95...but as soon as they changed to skinny cars and grooved tires he struggled to adapt...

let's see how kimi goes in north america...if he fails to win his championship will not look good..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in